Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2016 12:05:26 AM EDT
In stainless.  45-70.   I reload.  I also hunt deer and wild pig.  So.  How practical is a 45-70.  Ive never considered it but am thinking of adding it to my collection since I ordered a silencerco hybrid.  Will have the rifle threaded.   Any thoughts?  Love the look of the rifle

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I like .45-70 a lot.  I have a couple lever guns and a Sharps style.  None of them are that short.  

There is nothing like the sound of a large .45-70 round hitting a target.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I just bought one last week "jm" model for $499.00.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I went ahead and paid for that one.  Good to see a 50 dollar rebate right now.  After hanging out on the marlin owner forum, I was convinced.  Cant wait to pop a big pig.  .....now on to look for some dies and brass
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:16:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Have the exact same one and love it.  I hated the stock and forearm though and have changed them to factory walnut.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Be advised if you end up with any Hornady lever revolution brass it will be about 1/8" shorter than standard, and if you don't have the brass and want to load their rubber tip bullets, you will have to trim it about 1/8.  Have fun, they are good shooters.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be advised if you end up with any Hornady lever revolution brass it will be about 1/8" shorter than standard, and if you don't have the brass and want to load their rubber tip bullets, you will have to trim it about 1/8.  Have fun, they are good shooters.
View Quote

great to know.  So stay away from Hornady Brass?    Any die recommendations?  I normally get Forster or redding.  I don't believe you need to adjust OAL much, just put in factory specs?

what's the most popular powder for this?  I may have it.  have not looked at any reloading data yet
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
H322 has been the only powder I have used.  It worked well for me so I never tried another.

I don't have anything against the Hornady brass, it has worked fine thru a few heavy loadings of their flex tip bullet.
That's the 325 gr pointed bullet, really the only choice in a pointed bullet.  Due to the gun being designed for flat nose bullets, and a pointed bullet pushing the COAL beyond that, Hornady designed a shorter case to keep the COAL in spec.   The pointed bullet does give me a bit more range before having to hold over and gives pretty good accuracy, but I'm still elk hunting with the heavy flat nose hard cast stuff.

Dies, I just stuck with RCBS.  Any of your choices would be fine.  It is a very easy rifle round to reload for, mild to wild.  A stout crimp is needed for sure.  I think my H322 is best used in standard to heavy loads, the are better choices for the light loads.  

I ended up putting a neoprene sleeve with a 1/4" of padding under it over the butt stock .  The heavy loads were bruising the hell out of my cheek.  The heaviest I did knocked the chrono and tripod over at 10' just from muzzle blast.

These are the bullets I load, that deformed one on the left came from a huge icefall I shot up one winter and recovered the bullet from in the spring.  The elk I shot with that bullet got complete penetration thru both shoulders and was DRT.    I have also had good results on elk with those midway (repackaged Remington 405 gr soft points) bullets.

Figure out what COAL you gun likes before you load many, they are prone to jam if you go too long.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
H322 has been the only powder I have used.  It worked well for me so I never tried another.

I don't have anything against the Hornady brass, it has worked fine thru a few heavy loadings of their flex tip bullet.
That's the 325 gr pointed bullet, really the only choice in a pointed bullet.  Due to the gun being designed for flat nose bullets, and a pointed bullet pushing the COAL beyond that, Hornady designed a shorter case to keep the COAL in spec.   The pointed bullet does give me a bit more range before having to hold over and gives pretty good accuracy, but I'm still elk hunting with the heavy flat nose hard cast stuff.

Dies, I just stuck with RCBS.  Any of your choices would be fine.  It is a very easy rifle round to reload for, mild to wild.  A stout crimp is needed for sure.  I think my H322 is best used in standard to heavy loads, the are better choices for the light loads.  

I ended up putting a neoprene sleeve with a 1/4" of padding under it over the butt stock .  The heavy loads were bruising the hell out of my cheek.  The heaviest I did knocked the chrono and tripod over at 10' just from muzzle blast.

These are the bullets I load, that deformed one on the left came from a huge icefall I shot up one winter and recovered the bullet from in the spring.  The elk I shot with that bullet got complete penetration thru both shoulders and was DRT.    I have also had good results on elk with those midway (repackaged Remington 405 gr soft points) bullets.

Figure out what COAL you gun likes before you load many, they are prone to jam if you go too long.

<a href="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/DVCER/media/BC03A21C-A5AE-4E5B-9BF4-0B7AB48909C5_zpsagzcalwm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/DVCER/BC03A21C-A5AE-4E5B-9BF4-0B7AB48909C5_zpsagzcalwm.jpg</a>
View Quote

Thank you.  I greatly appreciate your input.   Just got my tracking number and Im a little excited to have this one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#9]
No worries, I'm sure you will enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/DVCER/media/OPSPARK023.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/DVCER/OPSPARK023.jpg</a>
View Quote

Did you keep factory buttpad or did you go with limbsaver?  Im looking for a limbsaver model number to fit the 1895
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I had an 1895SBL and it comes with a Pachmayr Decelerator. It works great.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice. I love the laminate stocks. Would love a set on my rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Did you keep factory buttpad or did you go with limbsaver?  Im looking for a limbsaver model number to fit the 1895
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/DVCER/media/OPSPARK023.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/DVCER/OPSPARK023.jpg</a>

I kept the factory, but I have been thinking about a new pad.  At the range I use a Past recoil shield, that really helps.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

great to know.  So stay away from Hornady Brass?    Any die recommendations?  I normally get Forster or redding.  I don't believe you need to adjust OAL much, just put in factory specs?

what's the most popular powder for this?  I may have it.  have not looked at any reloading data yet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay away from that leverlution ammo period.  The bullets are crap, come apart too easily.

I have an older 1895 Sporter that I only shoot jacketed bullets in (micro groove barrel, haven't had much luck with cast) and a JM stainless guide gun with some Brockman goodies on it.

I have hand loaded 99% of the 45-70 I've ever shot. I have used H335 with good results for "lever action" loads,  high velocity and good accuracy. But you get a lot of muzzle flash. I like the Remington 405 JSP for heavy loads.  And have used the Sierra 300 JHP.

For lighter loads I use a cast bullet, usually a 405gr, with Trail Boss or Universal. But I don't shoot many of these, I have 357 and 44 mag lever guns for that.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had an 1895SBL and it comes with a Pachmayr Decelerator. It works great.
View Quote

After doing some reading, I see that it does have an improved recoil pad from earlier models.  Guess I'll have to shoot it and see
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I have read that the FTX bullets are not really suited for big game.  They do give me a bit more reach, but really not much.  There is no way to get a bullet in that diameter long enough to get a decent BC.  

80% of my elk have been killed under 100 yds, thus I have stuck with the hard cast or rem 405 for hunting.    

I bet a guy could get a 2 or 4x scope with finger adj elevation, figure out the drop at various ranges and be able to get first round hits out to 400 easily.   I may be that guy next year.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty versatile with powders, I have used 4895 and Varget with some limited success in my 1895G with a 350grn home cast bullet ( these shorter rifles supposedly prefer longer bullets).  You can use Trailboss for some powder puff rounds that the berm impact is nearly louder than the report as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have read that the FTX bullets are not really suited for big game.  They do give me a bit more reach, but really not much.  There is no way to get a bullet in that diameter long enough to get a decent BC.  

80% of my elk have been killed under 100 yds, thus I have stuck with the hard cast or rem 405 for hunting.    

I bet a guy could get a 2 or 4x scope with finger adj elevation, figure out the drop at various ranges and be able to get first round hits out to 400 easily.   I may be that guy next year.

View Quote

I had an FTX factory load fail to penetrate a whitetail. It killed the deer, and I was able to find it.  Never had anything else (deer and feral hogs) hit well with a 45-70 go more than a few steps. Granted it was a big Kansas buck, but a 45-70 should give full penetration on a broadside shot on any deer anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had an FTX factory load fail to penetrate a whitetail. It killed the deer, and I was able to find it.  Never had anything else (deer and feral hogs) hit well with a 45-70 go more than a few steps. Granted it was a big Kansas buck, but a 45-70 should give full penetration on a broadside shot on any deer anywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps it expanded and did what its supposed to do and lodged into some bone.  Theres certainly enough speed and mass to deliver enough energy to the internal cavity of the whitetail.  Or maybe im just trying to justify buying 100 of those bullets today for reloading. ha!  I bought the rifle for hogs
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Really like by 1895GSBL.

Kicks like a mule though with 405s but not so bad with 300s and 325s.

Replaced the barrel rear sight with a Skinner (Black & Gold) Express sight.

Skinner Express sight - Black & Gold
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I love mine.  I had it cut down to 16", talk about a handy gun in the jeep. In Texas the horns has to have a 13" spread, I need the scope to make sure of the size.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#22]
There are plenty of RED DOT / GREEN DOT and some other powders that make great reduced loads in 45-70 so that it is almost downloaded to the point you might think you are shooting 45acp. Great for plinking and teaching new shooters. Also these reduced loads will allow much longer service life of the brass.

If your "Guide" gun has the Ballard rifling vrs micro grove then you have a huge list of cast bullet mold choices that all work great in 45-70. If Micro groove you will likely want gas checked styles or powder coat.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love mine.  I had it cut down to 16", talk about a handy gun in the jeep. In Texas the horns has to have a 13" spread, I need the scope to make sure of the size.

<a href="http://s679.photobucket.com/user/texas45/media/20140120_095424_zps40py248x.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv151/texas45/20140120_095424_zps40py248x.jpg</a>
View Quote

Who did your work?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Who did your work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s679.photobucket.com/user/texas45/media/20140120_095424_zps40py248x.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv151/texas45/20140120_095424_zps40py248x.jpg</a>

Who did your work?

I had a retired gunsmith in my area that was willing to do it for me several years ago.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

What scope is that?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:26:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

How many rounds fit in the tube now?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#27]
After seeing all the $299 Walmart 1895s and failing to find one for myself, I decided to order one.  I got a GBL because I like the 6 round mag and the laminated stock.  Hope to get to the range Thursday.  I have 50 rounds loaded in ladders for testing (25 ea 300 gr JSP and 405 gr JSP).

Rob
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

would also like to know.  I'm taking my 1895 SBL to the smith this week.   I am going to have it threaded and tube shortened.   Think I'll have it cut right at the old dovetail and have the dovetail moved.   That probably won't be 16 inches, more like maybe 17.  Haven't measured, but I'd like to retain as many bullets in the magazine as possible and maybe only loose one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#29]
It holds 5 rounds in tube.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I always liked the look of that wood. I always wanted that gun. But for a solid price, because other than being a cool gun, I don't have a purpose for it.
What's the best price for a model like the one shown in the OP?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I have discovered 51 gr of 3031 over Speer 400 gr is just right for my rifle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I always liked the look of that wood. I always wanted that gun. But for a solid price, because other than being a cool gun, I don't have a purpose for it.
What's the best price for a model like the one shown in the OP?
View Quote

https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/1895sbl

827 at buds right now.  Little more for cc
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#33]
45-70 is one fun cartridge. I just finished loading 100 up using home cast 425gr bullets , home made bullet lube and 70gr of 2fg goex black powder . You should try some real smoking 45-70 cartridges some time . They are a world of fun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I've got one of the original ported 1895's, I love it.  I shoot Remington 405 soft points with Alliant Reloder 7, I forget the exact charge.  I'm getting minute-of-fist accuracy at 100 yards, which is all you can ask for with factory open sights.  I killed 1 brown and 3 black bears with it when I was stationed in Alaska.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top