Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2016 10:20:52 AM EDT
A friend showed me his nicely blued Winchester 1894 that he's had for some time.  No cross-bolt safety; just won't fire unless the lever is held tightly against the frame, which I gather is correct.  One odd thing, however; if you yank the gun up, the weight of the lever will partially unlock the action.  Is that normal, or does some spring need replacement?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump.  No one knows if a Winchester 1894 should unlock if moved rapidly vertically?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bump.  No one knows if a Winchester 1894 should unlock if moved rapidly vertically?
View Quote

On a Marlin that would indicate a worn lever plunger or spring, don't know about a Winchester. Some of the CAS guys were trimming lever plunger springs to make the levers easier to unlock and swing faster, is the gun used?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A friend showed me his nicely blued Winchester 1894 that he's had for some time.  No cross-bolt safety; just won't fire unless the lever is held tightly against the frame, which I gather is correct.  One odd thing, however; if you yank the gun up, the weight of the lever will partially unlock the action.  Is that normal, or does some spring need replacement?
View Quote

This part is correct. If you look, you should see a little plunger button the lever presses against. Sorry, I can't help you with the other question, though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

On a Marlin that would indicate a worn lever plunger or spring, don't know about a Winchester. Some of the CAS guys were trimming lever plunger springs to make the levers easier to unlock and swing faster, is the gun used?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Bump.  No one knows if a Winchester 1894 should unlock if moved rapidly vertically?

It's a used gun, albeit my friend has had it for 10-15 years or so.  It's been well used - small crack in the wrist of the stock, and some bluing wear on the bbl.  The bluing on the receiver looks brand new, however, with crisp lettering on the bbl.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This part is correct. If you look, you should see a little plunger button the lever presses against. Sorry, I can't help you with the other question, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:nnA friend showed me his nicely blued Winchester 1894 that he's had for some time.  No cross-bolt safety; just won't fire unless the lever is held tightly against the frame, which I gather is correct.  One odd thing, however; if you yank the gun up, the weight of the lever will partially unlock the action.  Is that normal, or does some spring need replacement?

Thanks.  Yep, could see the plunger the lever presses against.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Some 94's are pretty loose and holding the gun with no pressure on the lever and jerking it upward could cause the lever to fall. No big deal as you are not going to ever shoot it without holding the lever.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Ah, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top