Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2016 10:40:50 AM EDT
So after some research I wasn't able to find a single documented case where a round nose FMJ bullet case a magazine tube to detonate. Yet everyone seems to say to avoid using them. My walmart has Perfecta 38 spec. with a RN FMJ for $16 a box and FN FMJ 357 for $17.  Is there any risk using this ammo in a Rossi 92 ? I just can't see recoil ever being enough to  anything. Thoughts and opinions ?  -Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been told that Winchester made .45 ACP Model 92s for the South American market.  It doesn't seem to have been a problem.

.38 Special would recoil even less.

.357 Magnum?  Well, the recoil would be similar to the .45 ACP.

However, if the cartridges in the magazine ever do go off, forget everything I just said.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Nosler makes ballistic tips designed for the 30-30.  These are round end bullets with a hard plastic tip so don't absorb recoil the way the FTX gummy tips do.  For a little 38 special I doubt you would have much trouble.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been told that Winchester made .45 ACP Model 92s for the South American market.  It doesn't seem to have been a problem.
View Quote

I've seen such claims, but never seen anything close to authentication of them.  I've seen people claim they have such a gun, but all such verified claims that I have seen have been converted guns, not Winchester factory .45ACPs.

As far as I have been able to verify, Winchester made 1892s in .44-40, .38-40, .32-20, and .218 Bee.  Later when Miroku in Japan made them, they added .357 Mag, .44 Mag, and eventually .45 Colt.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Round nosed bullets are fine - even jacketed Round nose bullets.

You just need to avoid spire point bullets that are potentially pointed enough to activate a primer under recoil.  A round nose FMJ isn't going to do that.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot plated and non-plated round nose bullets out of my lever action without a problem.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I just got done doing a few tests with some pulled bullets and primed empty cases. First with a primed case in a fixture I held the pulled RN FMJ with pliers with the nose on the primer. It took a sharp wack with a ball peen hammer to get the primer to pop. Not a real hard wack, but more than recoil or dropping the gun would cause. Then I placed a three foot piece of steel tube over the primed case and dropped a bullet (nose down) down the tube on the primer. No ignition after several attempts. I then added two 1/2 oz. lead sinkers behind the bullet and let them all drop at once. Again no ignition. Also with the rim raising the back of the cartridge up they lay at a slight angle in the mag tube, so the nose of the bullet is more centered on the bottom half of the primer making even more unlikely and all but impossible to ignite a round. After these test  and the fact there in no documented cases of this ever happening, I see no issue using RN FMJ 38's in my Rossi.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I asked Henry about this a few weeks ago and was told that FMJ-RN wouldn't be an issue in my .357.  They stipulated that the ammo needed to be from a reputable manufacturer following SAAMI standards, etc.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#9]
The Speer manual says not to use FMJ ammo in tube magazines.   I remember seeing a pic of a Ruger 44 Magnum carbine blown up with FMJs.   I would say that Speer knows what they are talking about.

Lever actions have been known to set off a tube full of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Speer manual says not to use FMJ ammo in tube magazines.   I remember seeing a pic of a Ruger 44 Magnum carbine blown up with FMJs.   I would say that Speer knows what they are talking about..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The Speer manual says not to use FMJ ammo in tube magazines.   I remember seeing a pic of a Ruger 44 Magnum carbine blown up with FMJs.   I would say that Speer knows what they are talking about..

It's plausible that Speer is doing a CYA from a liability perspective.  Speer has no way of knowing how hot you might custom load a cartridge, while it appears Henry has said that as long as you are using good quality factory ammo loaded to SAAMI specs, you are good to go.  Both positions are compatible.

Lever actions have been known to set off a tube full of ammo

But have they? Have they with factory ammo?  I've heard a lot of hearsay and "I guy I kinda know knew a guy who knew a guy who heard about this guy..." stories, but I've never seen a verified/ document story of such a thing happening.  I've seen many photos of guns that went kaboom.  I'm not aware that any of them (that weren't relics) were using factory ammo.

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is the ammo you want.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/50-rds-geco-38-special-158-grain-fmj-fn-ammo?a=1577443

I have shot both the 38 and 357 loads from Geco in my M92 are the feed great and are accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So after some research I wasn't able to find a single documented case where a round nose FMJ bullet case a magazine tube to detonate. Yet everyone seems to say to avoid using them. My walmart has Perfecta 38 spec. with a RN FMJ for $16 a box and FN FMJ 357 for $17.  Is there any risk using this ammo in a Rossi 92 ? I just can't see recoil ever being enough to  anything. Thoughts and opinions ?  -Thanks

This is the ammo you want.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/50-rds-geco-38-special-158-grain-fmj-fn-ammo?a=1577443

I have shot both the 38 and 357 loads from Geco in my M92 are the feed great and are accurate.

Done you know the overall length of this round ? My 92 will sometimes chuck out a live 38 if it's under 1.450". -Thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#14]
It wasnt Winchester that made the M92 in 45 ACP, it was El Tigre.   Made in Spain, the model 1892 copy was converted to 45 ACP  by the factory for South American police.   El Tigre stopped production around 1938, IIRC.   I remember seeing them at gun shows in the 60ties, and rarely today.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Speer manual says not to use FMJ ammo in tube magazines.   I remember seeing a pic of a Ruger 44 Magnum carbine blown up with FMJs.   I would say that Speer knows what they are talking about.

View Quote

I didn't know Ruger made a .44 Magnum carbine with a tubular magazine. Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know Ruger made a .44 Magnum carbine with a tubular magazine. Did I miss something?

Yes

https://youtu.be/muV5e-3E4Dg

Of course!! I remember now. For some reason I thought those had the rotary magazine. (Still don't believe someone blew one up with FMJ's in the magazine, though!)
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Of course!! I remember now. For some reason I thought those had the rotary magazine. (Still don't believe someone blew one up with FMJ's in the magazine, though!)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

https://youtu.be/muV5e-3E4Dg

Reloads with high primers ?  Aren't all 44 bullets flat nosed ? Seems there is more to the story.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#19]
hmmm  a long long time ago I shot up a bunch of Kleenbore .30-30 fmj in boxes marked sing sing prison.  I don't remember them being flat pointed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've seen such claims, but never seen anything close to authentication of them.  I've seen people claim they have such a gun, but all such verified claims that I have seen have been converted guns, not Winchester factory .45ACPs.

As far as I have been able to verify, Winchester made 1892s in .44-40, .38-40, .32-20, and .218 Bee.  Later when Miroku in Japan made them, they added .357 Mag, .44 Mag, and eventually .45 Colt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to Winchester, and I called and asked,  they never made (other than a couple of experimental models) .45acp chambered lever guns.

Heck, I'd love it if someone would make a mass produced one.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#21]
So would these be safe ? Armscor 158gr FMJ. I can get 'em cheap, but the bullet profile worries me.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So would these be safe ? Armscor 158gr FMJ. I can get 'em cheap, but the bullet profile worries me.

http://cdn5.luckygunner.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/420x420/89186606949bbcd1c9e3309e80a0d7d0/4/2/421559dc55668372d49a77d6c6ce7108_6.jpg
View Quote

I shoot FMJ .38 Special and .357 FMJ Round nose in my Henry and have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I've shot a few hundred rounds of that 158 gr Armscor through my Henry.  50 rounds this morning, actually.  
Could just be my imagination but it seems a little weak, but like you said, it was cheap and the brass reloads just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top