Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2016 12:04:33 PM EDT

Seems that the only ammo available for it in stores is the LEVERevolution....if it is in stock. I know it can be had online, but there seems to be less and less of it each year?

Will there be a resurgence in the round, or has the 45-70 made it obsolete?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to me; but yeah, you do want to be a handloader. I don't ever see a resurgence but I love mine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Options are limited but I do not see it going away.  There is enough of a following to keep it around.  However, I do not see a resurgence like the 10mm happening.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Options are limited but I do not see it going away.  There is enough of a following to keep it around.  However, I do not see a resurgence like the 10mm happening.
View Quote

The 10mm is a great example. I had not thought of that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Seems that the only ammo available for it in stores is the LEVERevolution....if it is in stock. I know it can be had online, but there seems to be less and less of it each year?

Thoughts?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote

.444's sure get snapped up quick on GB especially the Guide version. I doubt it'll go away, my local Cabela's always has Remington, Hornady and Buffalo Bore in stock for it. Academy usually has Remington and Hornady.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#6]
It's always been a niche caliber.  Like the 10mm in has it's fans but there just aren't that many of them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I think rifles in it would be more popular if you could shoot 44mag in them as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
They have been getting popular here in Ohio since they are on the allowable hunting list.  

Ohio last year top 3 successful deer hunting rifles

1)  45-70
2) 44mag
3) 444 marlin

Midway has hornaday 265gn FP on sale now.  

I took a deer with one last year.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Can't say if it's dead or dying but whatever it hits get dead pretty quick!
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:18:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think rifles in it would be more popular if you could shoot 44mag in them as well.
View Quote

I thought you could fire .44mag pistol ammo in one?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#11]
The tapered chamber of the 444 will not support the base of a 44 Mag case very well. You could do it I suppose; it certainly would have to be a dire emergency.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.  20+ years ago, I was shopping for a lever gun to use as a deer rifle (and, cause I wanted a lever gun).  I almost went with a .444, but instead got the .44 Mag, cause I already had a Redhawk and lots of reloading supplies.  I even commented at the time "If only it shot both..."

Even then though, .444 was a Handloaders round, not something you'd pick up at Wal-Mart morning of the Season opening...

Still kind of want a .444 though, cause well, I'm a handloader.  Maybe I'll get a barrel for my rarely used Contender....(Then again, my 12" SSK .44 Mag bbl for it is already a handful with full power loads....)

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the .444 would have done much better if there were heavier bullets available.
It is really stuck as a high speed .44 Rem Mag and can never hope to reach the power the .45-70 offers with heavy pills.

As pointed out above though... if you could use .44 Rem Mag interchangeably, I'd have owned one years ago.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#14]
The 444 was never really thought out well.  The 444 was shooting too light and so the big bore hot rounds went to the 452 and 458 calibers. Much like the 6mm, the rifles tended to have slow twists.  What made it worse was 44cal bullets were designed around conventional handgun velocities and so the potential to have poor bullet performance ruin a big game hunt has been there.  It also seems any lever action cartridge between the 30 and 45 calibers has taken a decline in popularity for other reasons.  The cartridge can be made to be very good, but you have to spec it as Marlin did not.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#15]
All you wanted to know about the 444 and more - there are 3 parts to this.

.444 Marlin- America's Most Versatile Big-Bore Part I
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They have been getting popular here in Ohio since they are on the allowable hunting list.  

Ohio last year top 3 successful deer hunting rifles

1)  45-70
2) 44mag
3) 444 marlin

Midway has hornaday 265gn FP on sale now.  

I took a deer with one last year.
View Quote

Got one as well

Got the rifle cheap as the guy didn't want to reload for it and didn't want to spend the money for factory ammo
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#17]
It's not dying.  There are enough rifle already produced, and a couple models still produced that it won't just disappear.  But it is never going to be in the same league as the 30-30 or the 45-70 with regards to popularity.  That's a shame too, because it is a really good round for its intended purpose.

I know I give the .444 crowd grief about their choice, but it's all in good fun.  Frankly for all but the largest game taken with the 45-70, and all game usually taken with the 30-30, it's a great choice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's not dying.  There are enough rifle already produced, and a couple models still produced that it won't just disappear.  But it is never going to be in the same league as the 30-30 or the 45-70 with regards to popularity.  That's a shame too, because it is a really good round for its intended purpose.

I know I give the .444 crowd grief about their choice, but it's all in good fun.  Frankly for all but the largest game taken with the 45-70, and all game usually taken with the 30-30, it's a great choice.
View Quote

Agree a lot of guns out there and still some single shots being produced.  Its not dying anytime soon but it has never been real popular and likely never will be.  Part of this is the 45-70 had a huge head start.  IF you handload there are enough bullets to do anything you would want to do.  Thing is recoil is really stiff compared to the 30-30 and 45-70 traditional loads and many are looking for long range ballistics for that kind of recoil.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:25:41 AM EDT
[#19]
If you want to keep it save your brass and start reloading. That's the difference with oddball calibers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top