Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2016 4:24:12 AM EDT
Saw what looks like a trapper version, very early 92 in 32-20 today for $700. Absolutely no finish left on the receiver, in fact has deep scratches. Barrel looks ok with a great bore. Has a receiver peep sight and dovetail filler in rear sight slot. Wood was ok..... I passed. Tempted to go back and measure the barrel length, looked short. Like maybe 14 could be 16. Thought I would ask, what would you do?

ETA 1898 manufacture.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is in working condition it is probably worth the money.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a suitable small dia. length of dowel, marked up at the 16" point.
Insert into barrel....if it's over 16" - get haggling!!

Sounds sweet & a potential range toy as you'd not need to worry about adding scratches to a 90%+ finish safe queen.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I seem to have some foggy memory of some of those early guns being made with barrels under 16" and that there is a procedure  (other than sbr) to make it OK with the BATF.

Other than fun and possibly useful to have a extra short model it would be uber cool for it to be original.

Interesting
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I seem to have some foggy memory of some of those early guns being made with barrels under 16" and that there is a procedure  (other than sbr) to make it OK with the BATF.

Other than fun and possibly useful to have a extra short model it would be uber cool for it to be original.

Interesting
View Quote

Genuine, original <16" trappers are exempt from NFA SBR rules because there are so few.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Possibly under 16"?

Send it here - 12" min. for barrel length
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:24:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I called this afternoon and asked if they would measure it. It's 18 so I must have been way off. The guy I talked to today was pretty sure it's a cut down rifle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top