Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2016 3:55:34 PM EDT
I'm decided on a 357/38 lever rifle. I got it narrowed down to either a Rossi 92 or Henry Big Boy Steel . The Rossi runs at $525 or so locally and the Henry at $640, so going by price the Rossi seems to be the better deal, however after recommended upgrades ( steel follower, springs, safety plug, etc.)  the price goes up a bit closer to the Henry. The Henry has a scope option which could make the rifle double as a short range deer rifle, which would be a plus.

My Pros/Cons  

Rossi 92

Pros:  more traditional looks, loading gate, price

Cons: Will likely need "fine tuned" and/or need replacement parts, May have QC issues,

Henry Steel

Pros: Smooth action out of box,  fit and finish, great customer service, option for scope

Cons: no loading gate, price, less traditional looking,

I'm slightly leaning towards the Henry, due mainly as there is a much lower risk of getting a lemon and Henry's good reputation. It's going to be a range/fun gun so I really want to enjoy shooting all types of 38 and 357 without a lot of trouble. So help me make up my mind, let's hear your thoughts on the two. -Thanks
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO Rossi all the way.  I have had 2 any never had any problems.  The other option is the Marlin 1894 in 357.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My vote is also the Rossi - I have several and they're ALL keepers.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Rossi 357 that I love but it needed a little work.

If your leaning towards Henry get the Henry. You'll never be happy with the Rossi if you feel you settled.

I went into the Rossi knowing I was going to work on it.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
i have both.

both have there good points.  the big boy wood is amazing. the gun looks like a work of art.

the rossi i have 4 of them. they are great guns all mine function fine and have been great.

both will serve you well. the question is what do you want to do with it and do you want to pay 200 bucks more for the big boy.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I decided between the Henry, Marlin, and Rossi recently. I decided to try the Rossi. So far, so good. Great finish (stainless) and the wood is actually pretty nice. I upgraded the necessary parts. The action is smoothing out. I think I went the right way.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The Rossi M92s can also be scoped. Rossi sells a scope base that replaces the rear sight. It's available aftermarket. The upgrades you mention are about $60 online...still quite a bit cheaper, and totally optional.

I went with a Rossi after just picking up the various Henry Big Boys and feeling their weight/balance. Even the lighter steel Big Boy model is about 30% heavier than the M92. If I own a heavy lever gun, it had better be a really nice looking real 1860 Henry, or '66 or a '73 clone to justify that weight.
The Rossi M92s are rough at first, but the lever smooths out quickly enough. But some folks can't get over that hitch in an M92's lever stroke, vs the more consistent, smoother lever throw of the Henrys or Marlins.

If you're concerned about the Rossi functioning, check out cowboy action forums where they run the guns hard with high round counts. See what they say about the Rossi vs the Henry. You may be surprised about which one is considered more reliable and dependable.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Great input guys, leaning back towards a Rossi now. Any good online sources for a blued 20" or 16" with straight handle ? Locally there are two 16" models one for $539 and one for $520 both plus tax, but with no shipping or transfer fee. Can I do better ?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great input guys, leaning back towards a Rossi now. Any good online sources for a blued 20" or 16" with straight handle ? Locally there are two 16" models one for $539 and one for $520 both plus tax, but with no shipping or transfer fee. Can I do better ?
View Quote

Blued M92 Sale 20" $465

These guys are great. Excellent prices and they call your FFL to set everything up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#9]
They have the 16" for $465 too
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#11]
You're missing one important factor.  Weight.

The Henry is a pig, while the Rossi 92 is very light.

92 all the way.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got a NIB Rossi 92 Blue 20" in .45Colt from a Gunbroker seller for $405+$25 shipping to my dealer.

This gun is great.Wood is perfect.Action was stiff at first,but I took the stock off,flushed out some metal chips and brown crud,cleaned up a few burrs,heavily oiled it with CLP,and then worked the action a few hundred times before testing with live ammo.It is much better now,and getting smoother as I put more rounds through it.

Other than that cheap plastic magazine follower,and that safety mounted to the hammer,I like this gun a lot.

I have a steel follower coming,and removed that safety.The other safety mounted on the bolt doesn't bother me at all.

Much better deal then the Henry,and much lighter too.

The .38/.357 models are the ones that seem to be having the feeding problems compared to the .45 ones that are mostly trouble free.

Rossi-Rifleman.com has a forum all about these guns and what can be done if you have a problem.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#13]
As I've got 2 Rossis out of the 8 leverguns I own, both 357mag, one 20" carbine and one 24" rifle, I'm also in the Rossi camp over the Henry.  Besides the lack of a side loading gate that's a Major mistake on Henry's part, the fact that the steel version is still 2 lbs heavier than the Rossi makes the Henry a non starter in my book.  Yes, I've got a little Henry 22lr H001 and yes, it's fun to shoot but with Steve's Gun's $58 tune up kit for one and then just a couple of inexpensive parts for the other, both of my Rossis are actually smoother than a friend's stock Henry 357mag.

Not only is the side loading gate more traditional, but as everyone who's loaded a tube mag 22lr will tell you, you really need 3 hands to load it comfortably; one to hold the rifle, one to hold the mag insert, and one to drop in the ammo. Further, while it's an acceptable risk in a rimfire 22lr, loading the Henry with the muzzle pointing up in the direction of one's head isn't as safe to me as pointing the muzzle away and down to load it through the side loading gate.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I've read the Rossi can be picky with 38's, any brand, weight, or type to avoid ?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've read the Rossi can be picky with 38's, any brand, weight, or type to avoid ?
View Quote

i did the stevezDVD tune up on mine ( pics above )

it eats 38sp swc, rnfp, jhp, ect prefectly

some 357 fatter SWC's ( LEE ) are not real smooth...but everything esle is

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not mine.  It'll feed a Mag full of wadcutters.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I had trouble getting parts for the Rossi rifles.   They are also more complicated to take apart than the Henry.   Check over at rossirifleman website.

I only have one levergun at the moment, a 44 Magnum 1894 Marlin Cowboy that I bought in 2000.    If I were buying another, I would get the Henry.    Much better customer service.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The first R92 I bought is a 24" SS, it was just the opposite, liked .38sp but didn't like the .357 OAL. I had some reloaded .357 that I had bought from a gun range, the OAL was just a little bit shorter then factory loads so these worked great. I sent the gun back to Braztech and they fixed it.

Knowing what I know now I probably would have shot it a lot more before I sent it back.

I purchased another Rossi earlier this year, a 20" Oct barrel, the wood is better and I've had no problems with it at all. Rossi seems to have stepped up quality control a little. Rossi's customer service is still way behind Henry's. A henry .357 is on my short list, living in Calif, this might be the best option for us..

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I would not recommend buying a Rossi sight unseen. I've seen some really poorly built ones. I've owned 3 (two 357s and a 45 Colt)and they all looked great. The 357s hang up on me occasionally, though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I have no experience with the Rossi. I have two Marlins in .38/357 and .44 and a Henry in .22. The little .22 is the smoothest feeding, cycling and shooting rifle I own. The downside to the little Henry is the tube end loading and the cheapish pot metal receiver....but again, function is flawless. I once had a Henry Big Boy in .44 with the beautiful brass receiver and octagon barrel. It was a real wall hanger, so pretty you'd want everyone to see it. It wouldn't feed anything. I tried several types of bullets and would hang up feeding the second round every time. Sent it back to Henry and they polished all the internals and tested it, returned back as repaired...nope, still hung up the second round every time with every ammo. Sold it cheap! Love my Marlins and that little Henry though. All the  Rossi's I've seen in the stores look and feel nice and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was in the mood.

roy d...can't have too many levers
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I have both and the Henry is a much better built gun. More robust in every area. If you only are going to buy one get the Henry. The Rossi is a cheaper way to go and allows for tinkering where as the Henry is solid right out of the box. I use my Rossi as my rainy day/ deer drive gun with open sights and it has worked great. The Henry is scoped and used for still hunting and sitting where I need longer more precise shots. I would also suggest the 18 inch barrel for your first one. The 16s are nice but too light out front and are harder to hold steady.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I have owned 4 Rossi rifles. I have competed with them.  I preferred the Marlin CBII when it came out and started using it for comps with the Rossi as backup.  I recently traded a 16" Rossi for a 1903A3 Remington.  Yeah, I got a deal there.  Wife was pissed I sold that Rossi, so I immediately went out and found a 16" stainless.  

All of the Rossis have been flawless for me.  All are very smooth out of the box and only get smoother with time.  A lighter hammer spring makes it even nicer to cycle.

I do like the Henry rimfire, but the Browning BL22 is a better deal for the quality you are getting.  I absolutely hate the tube fed pistol cartridge Henry rifles.  They look like

This stainless Rossi was branded by whoever owns them now.  I removed the safety and installed a plug:

I also own a Rossi Overland 12ga hammer shotgun and a Rossi pump action .22.  They make good stuff.

Since I mentioned the 03.....I am embarrassed to say I haven't shot it yet:

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Have two Rossi's 45LC and 357 both in 20" barrel and a new Henry steel blued receiver in 45LC. Plus a number of other levers.

The Rossi's take some break in time but soon become solid rifles. They are not the first rifle i would pick up in a crisis or to hunt with but are good range guns and loaners for friends to shoot.

Henry was smooth out of the box and very accurate. It is heavy but this translates to a nice solid shooter. I would not hesitate to carry it in the field or truck. I am going to start savkng for the 357 blued steel to add to the safe!

I would buy both brands again but think the Henry is well worth the additional cost.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#24]
When considering the same decision a few months ago I went with the Henry. .357 steel. My buddy has a .357 in the Big Boy (brass) with the octagon. Looks nice, but about a pound heavier and no checkering on the grips.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I decided between the Henry, Marlin, and Rossi recently. I decided to try the Rossi. So far, so good. Great finish (stainless) and the wood is actually pretty nice. I upgraded the necessary parts. The action is smoothing out. I think I went the right way.
View Quote

Just ordered one. Which parts need upgrading
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top