Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2016 10:19:39 AM EDT
So I purchased a used Marlin 444SS on Gunbroker a few months back.  Everything looked and felt pretty good when I unboxed it.

Yesterday I fired it for the first time and immediately had problems working the lever after firing a round.  The lever opens very slightly, then gets super hard to open the rest of the way.  I have to put a LOT of force on it to get it to open.  

This is my only lever gun so I dont have anything else to compare it to.  But I have shot other lever guns and not had this problem.

Looking for any advice you all can offer as far as what to investigate, how to troubleshoot, etc....

Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you shooting factory ammo out of it?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I am shooting the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo out of it, as that is what I will use for deer season.

This stuff here

http://www.hornady.com/store/444-Marlin-265-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 444s and had something similar would happen.  After firing the next case in the mag tube would get pushed in prematurely and cause the lever to lock up.  I made up some dummy reloads and cycled the crap out of it until I figured out what was happening.  I ended up replacing the loading gate and that finally fixed it.

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you.  This does is regardless of if there is another round in the tube or not.  

I did find that the screw in front of the lever was sorta loose so I tightened that up a bit.  Wont know until I try it again.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it do it when cycling the action with no rounds in the gun?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope.  It literally only does it after firing a round.  I even placed a once fired brass into the chamber to see if it was sticking on extraction and had no problem working the lever.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe the recoil is causing something to get mis-aligned.  See if you can somehow recreate the failure, maybe with a buttstroke.

You can also look at your brass to see where/if they are getting marred.

I spent hours on mine, at first it only did it when firing, then I could start to reproduce the error.  Once I figured out what was happening it still wasn't that easy to figure out the loading gate was fubar.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Scotty.  I might just send this out to a smith as I will admit to being a bit afraid to pull it apart myself.  

Do you know of any local lever action guys?
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Not an uncommon problem.  You'll find that after you tightened the "loose" screw it will work fine.  Go to Leverguns.com
You'll find answers there.  If you don't want to search just post the same thing you did here.  You'll get more information than you'd have thought possible.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Any update OP?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am shooting the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo out of it, as that is what I will use for deer season.

This stuff here

http://www.hornady.com/store/444-Marlin-265-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/

View Quote

my marlin 45/70 is about 4 years old, and it will 100% NOT SHOOT the leverevolution ammo... at all... ammo binds up in the chamber.. but gun works great with anything else. standard ammo it works 100%...

does gun bind up when you cycle it EMPTY ??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top