Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2016 5:45:08 PM EDT
I just purchased a Marlin Model 1894 Carbine in .357Mag.  

It appears to be in 90% condition, small rust spots on the lever and a couple on the barrel.  Wood has a few scratches which 98% of them will refinish out.

Barrel is in excellent condition, no rust pitting, nice and brite.  There is a hole in the bottom of the stock which I suppose use to have a sling swivel in it.

Someone put a scope rail on it, which will come off.  Hopefully no surprises under neath it.

What is a gun in this condition worth?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just purchased a Marlin Model 1894 Carbine in .357Mag.  

It appears to be in 90% condition, small rust spots on the lever and a couple on the barrel.  Wood has a few scratches which 98% of them will refinish out.

Barrel is in excellent condition, no rust pitting, nice and brite.  There is a hole in the bottom of the stock which I suppose use to have a sling swivel in it.

Someone put a scope rail on it, which will come off.  Hopefully no surprises under neath it.

What is a gun in this condition worth?
View Quote

$500-$600 if it's a JM marked. $350-450 for a REP marked one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Here are a few pics of the rifle.  I think it was made in 1980, serial# starts with "20"

pic

pic 2

pic 3
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW my old 1894 had the Marlin "bullseye" fall out from the stock leaving a hole...

Paladin
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say it's worth at least $600. You can get a replacement marlin bullseye for the stock and some 8-40 receiver plug screws off ebay pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the information.  I gave $500 for it and hoped it wasn't to much.

I would like to put a set of sights on it other than what it has, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what belongs in the hole in your stock......http://www.midwayusa.com/product/135907/marlin-bullseye-stock-inlay-polymer-black-and-white

You did good for the money you paid. Take a look on Gunbroker and see for yourself the prices of a 1894 357.

This is where the sling swivel go's.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the information.  I gave $500 for it and hoped it wasn't to much.

I would like to put a set of sights on it other than what it has, any suggestions?
View Quote

Give the .357 a few tries with the stock sights.  I like mine, and find it accurate enough at 100 yards with the iron sights that nothing needs changed, and I found that it doesn't need range time - it hits what I tell it to.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Good buy this is on my short list of guns
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, I paid $144.00 for my Marlin 1894 44 mag brand new.
That was back in 1977. I'm feeling old right about now
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#10]
good pick, .357 is scarce
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I took the stock off the rifle and did a thorough cleaning.  It certainly needed it.  I don't think it had ever been cleaned.  I cleaned the bore with copper remover and still didn't get it all.  Patches still come out blue.  But bore is in excellent condition, so I'm going to shoot it a little and do some more cleaning.

No internal rust at all, just surface spots on the outside which 0000 steel wool took off nicely.

If the rifle shoots straight I'll be very satisfied with it.

I have been reading threads here and on other boards that the micro-groove rifling is more suited to jacketed bullets than lead.  I shoot a lot of extreme plated bullets in my revolvers, I would think they would be ok for this gun??

Is it a fact that lead bullets foul the riflings more or is it that lead bullets don't get enough "grip" on the riflings and smear down the barrel??
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I took the stock off the rifle and did a thorough cleaning.  It certainly needed it.  I don't think it had ever been cleaned.  I cleaned the bore with copper remover and still didn't get it all.  Patches still come out blue.  But bore is in excellent condition, so I'm going to shoot it a little and do some more cleaning.

No internal rust at all, just surface spots on the outside which 0000 steel wool took off nicely.

If the rifle shoots straight I'll be very satisfied with it.

I have been reading threads here and on other boards that the micro-groove rifling is more suited to jacketed bullets than lead.  I shoot a lot of extreme plated bullets in my revolvers, I would think they would be ok for this gun??

Is it a fact that lead bullets foul the riflings more or is it that lead bullets don't get enough "grip" on the riflings and smear down the barrel??
View Quote

Fouling and accuracy loss.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I think that's a great pick for $500. I just gave $600 for an older JM Marlin in .44mag and am happy about it, so you should be ecstatic. The .357's bring a premium nowadays. I have a pre-Remington 1894c in .357 that I gave $450 for at my local gun shop back in the early 00's, so take that for what it's worth.

roy d...microgrooves get a undeserved bad rap, just shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Got to shoot the Marlin .357mag yesterday for the first time.  Some findings and thoughts;

Only shot to 25 yards and it will put 125Gr JHP in a clover leaf, probably in the same hole if on a rest from a bench.  We were just shooting it across the corner of my pickup bed.

160Gr FMJ did not group well at all.

FMJ rounds functioned through the action like butter, never jamming.

JHP with exposed lead would not feed unless the action was operated fast and with purpose and it still jammed a couple of times.

Is there a OAL limit that should be adhered too?

I wonder if the exposed lead at the end of the bullet was the problem instead of OAL being to long?

BTW, the rifle was properly cleaned and lubed.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I always operate my 1894's action fast and with a purpose as you said. My .357 will eat anything thrown down it's throat from 158grn jhp's to 110grn flat nosed lead wadcutters in .38. Everything! My .44 mag has only been fed 240grn sjhp's and it kinda hangs up every now and again. I can usually finesse it past the hitch. I wouldn't call them "jams" as much as hitches. It's an older model, about 1984 or so as opposed to my mid 2000's .357

roy d...feed it what it likes
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got to shoot the Marlin .357mag yesterday for the first time.  Some findings and thoughts;

Only shot to 25 yards and it will put 125Gr JHP in a clover leaf, probably in the same hole if on a rest from a bench.  We were just shooting it across the corner of my pickup bed.

160Gr FMJ did not group well at all.

FMJ rounds functioned through the action like butter, never jamming.

JHP with exposed lead would not feed unless the action was operated fast and with purpose and it still jammed a couple of times.

Is there a OAL limit that should be adhered too?

I wonder if the exposed lead at the end of the bullet was the problem instead of OAL being to long?

BTW, the rifle was properly cleaned and lubed.
View Quote

I have a '80 Marlin .357 myself and it is probably my favorite gun.  What you are describing is the "marlin jam".  Mine frequently jammed and I found a longer OAL length to actually improve the feeding issues.  The "new style" carrier they are now selling fixed all of my jamming problems and mine now runs 100%.  I had to wait 14 months for my backorder to fill but it was well worth it.

New Style Carrier
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top