Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2016 2:08:05 AM EDT
Which model is the one to get if it going to be chambered in 357 magnum?    Is it 1892, 1894, how about the Burgess or some other?

As I understand it, the 1873 is not the model to get, is that correct?

What I am interested in is a straight stock, a 20" round barrel.  Aperture sights are important, too.  I think color case hardened parts are nice but non-essential.  The Rossi looks the part.  Nice rifles are nice but is the Winchester or Uberti worth the extra dough for a plinker?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:29:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I never had any problems with my Rossi 92.
I regret trading it towards a Marlin 336 in .44mag.
Not that I don't love the 336.

Eta: Come to think of it, I did have some problems with chambering .38spl, but I rarely used those anyway.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#2]
The Rossi 92 will give you your most bang for the buck. It may need a little tuning out of the box if you want to shoot .38s in it (i.e., have the cartridge guides adjusted), and it's a good idea to swap out the plastic magazine follower for a steel one from Steve's Gunz. You may or may not want to remove the bolt mounted firing pin safety. If you do, you can replace it either with a plug (I did) or a bolt mounted peep sight. The action may be a little rough out of the box. If that's the case you'll want to strip, clean, and lube it. Mine is getting smoother the more I shoot it. The wood finish on mine was lack luster. I gave it a couple coats of Watco Danish Oil. But overall, I'm very happy with mine.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The only one I don't recommend is the '94, only because the receiver is rifle caliber length and things like the '92 clones are handgun caliber frames. Participating in cowboy action, I have seen more jams with the '94 than any other rifle. The '73 has the toggle action. So does the Luger and nobody accused it of being weak, but it isn't as strong, IMO, even with modern steel, as the '92 clones. My lever guns are Marlins. I have a couple in .357, a 16" stainless and 18 1/2 '94C. Both are very nice and I have mounted Williams Foolproof aperture sights on them with flat top post front sights. I'm not convinced as to the durability of the aluminum Williams. I am thinking of getting Skinner sights that mount on the top of the receiver using the scope base holes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The only one I don't recommend is the '94, only because the receiver is rifle caliber length and things like the '92 clones are handgun caliber frames. Participating in cowboy action, I have seen more jams with the '94 than any other rifle. The '73 has the toggle action. So does the Luger and nobody accused it of being weak, but it isn't as strong, IMO, even with modern steel, as the '92 clones. My lever guns are Marlins. I have a couple in .357, a 16" stainless and 18 1/2 '94C. Both are very nice and I have mounted Williams Foolproof aperture sights on them with flat top post front sights. I'm not convinced as to the durability of the aluminum Williams. I am thinking of getting Skinner sights that mount on the top of the receiver using the scope base holes.
View Quote
+1 on the Skinner sight, I put one on my 94 trapper and love it

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, got it, it's the 1892.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put a Skinner sight on my 9422 and it is great. I also have it on a couple of 10/22's. I am thinking of replacing the Williams Foolproof on a couple of the Marlins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top