Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2016 11:24:23 AM EDT
I'm considering SBRing a 357 lever gun for general plinking with a suppressor. I haven't decided on the model yet but it will probably end up being a Rossi simply because they are cheap and easy to find.

Either way, I'd like to hear some of your experiences and see some pictures of short lever guns. What model did you SBR? Caliber? Barrel length? Are you happy with it or would you change anything given the chance to do it again?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll watch this thread closely. When I bought my Marlin 1894c I did so with every intention of SBRing it. I asked a couple of lever gun guys about it and even posted my ideas on a Marlin owners forum. Ultimately I decided I didn't want to give up the ammo capacity to go all the way down to 12", stayed non NFA and cut to just a hair over 16. While I'm super happy with my decision on the Marlin, I still have the want for an even shorter lever action carbine. When I talked with the guys at Ranger Point Precision, their suggestion was to maybe consider one of their 10mm conversions because of the oomph of the 10mm, but with ammo capacity that was still respectable. That's cool as hell, but it's a mother huge commitment for me because I'd have to buy another expensive-ish rifle to convert, have the conversion done, AND then I'd have to buy the appropriate suppressor...... Which brings me back to your idea. Since I already have a sweet, suppressed, somewhat short, 38/357 lever action with decent capacity, that need/want is covered. I'm free to maybe play with the idea of something like an SBR conversion of a Rossi Ranch hand without wishing for less reloading and without breaking the bank.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll watch this thread closely. When I bought my Marlin 1894c I did so with every intention of SBRing it. I asked a couple of lever gun guys about it and even posted my ideas on a Marlin owners forum. Ultimately I decided I didn't want to give up the ammo capacity to go all the way down to 12", stayed non NFA and cut to just a hair over 16. While I'm super happy with my decision on the Marlin, I still have the want for an even shorter lever action carbine. When I talked with the guys at Ranger Point Precision, their suggestion was to maybe consider one of their 10mm conversions because of the oomph of the 10mm, but with ammo capacity that was still respectable. That's cool as hell, but it's a mother huge commitment for me because I'd have to buy another expensive-ish rifle to convert, have the conversion done, AND then I'd have to buy the appropriate suppressor...... Which brings me back to your idea. Since I already have a sweet, suppressed, somewhat short, 38/357 lever action with decent capacity, that need/want is covered. I'm free to maybe play with the idea of something like an SBR conversion of a Rossi Ranch hand without wishing for less reloading and without breaking the bank.
View Quote

Good reply. I've considered doing a lever action SBR to suppress, but the more I learn about it, the less it excites me. It seems that there are very few choices when it comes to suppressors rated for magnum rounds in short barrels. It's also not that quiet unless you shoot the non-magnum rounds (44 spl, 38 spl, etc.), which defeats the purpose that I had in mind for the SBR. Then there is the huge expense of converting your lever action rifle into a SBR. When I was looking into it, it was one to two thousand dollars for custom shops to convert a rifle that you provide. Finally, I considered not doing an SBR and just threading a regular length barrel for a suppressor, but that makes the rifle ridiculously long and front heavy in my opinion. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The idea of an SBR was tempting, but my 16" in .357 is still very compact. Handgun is a 681 in a Milt Sparks PMK:

With Abraxas suppressor in place. You can see in the above pic that I had to shorten the magazine tube slightly to allow the muzzle to extend enough for threading:

A major thing I like about about the 16" versions is their compactness (this is before I put the reddot on it.) Even with the suppressor in place, it's still the same size as a stock 10-22:

Nothing bad to say about the puma except that I wish they used a faster twist rate so I could use heavier bullets when loading subsonic .357's for use thru the suppressor. With their slow 1:30 twist rate (which is still faster than Marlin's 1:38 twist rate), I don't use bullets heavier than 158's in it; but 158's at 1,000 fps is still about .45 hardball power. And the 16" barrel and sealed breech help to make the suppressor extremely effective; no louder than my gamo pellet rifle.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#4]
this has long been on my list of things to build.

I was thinking more along the lines of the WWG bushwacker.

fine an 1894 , cut and thread the barrel, cut the tube. Then to further reduce the size do a takedown mod. All of which is pretty easy and can be done
with hand tools.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:08:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Good reply. I've considered doing a lever action SBR to suppress, but the more I learn about it, the less it excites me. It seems that there are very few choices when it comes to suppressors rated for magnum rounds in short barrels. It's also not that quiet unless you shoot the non-magnum rounds (44 spl, 38 spl, etc.), which defeats the purpose that I had in mind for the SBR. Then there is the huge expense of converting your lever action rifle into a SBR. When I was looking into it, it was one to two thousand dollars for custom shops to convert a rifle that you provide. Finally, I considered not doing an SBR and just threading a regular length barrel for a suppressor, but that makes the rifle ridiculously long and front heavy in my opinion. YMMV
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those smiths are smoking crack, $2K  My rossi has the front sight on the band.  The cost to cut & thread bbl, plus shorten tube should not be more than 3 maybe 4 hours of labor. Hell 5 tops. That's providing you send them a stripped lever gun.

I'm running a YHM cobra, the suppressor has no bearing on the front end being heavy,IMO.  The YHM isn't a heavy can to begin with.

Buy a mares leg file a Form 1 wait 4 months. While you're waiting get a smith to thread the bbl. ANY Smith except those $1-2K clowns.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Those smiths are smoking crack, $2K  My rossi has the front sight on the band.  The cost to cut & thread bbl, plus shorten tube should not be more than 3 maybe 4 hours of labor. Hell 5 tops. That's providing you send them a stripped lever gun.

I'm running a YHM cobra, the suppressor has no bearing on the front end being heavy,IMO.  The YHM isn't a heavy can to begin with.

Buy a mares leg file a Form 1 wait 4 months. While you're waiting get a smith to thread the bbl. ANY Smith except those $1-2K clowns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes those dollar figures are way out of line. As mentioned, mine isn't an SBR, but the reduction to 16" still required relocating the barrel band, shortening the mag tube and remounting the front sight. Everything I'd have had to do if going to 12 or 14 inches. While I wont quote what my gunsmith charged (he's an old friend and I suspect I got a significant "buddy discount") it wasn't even in the same ballpark of 1k. Heck, even Ranger Point Precision quoted less than 300 when I asked them, and they have a great rep in the levergun community. Now I think that RPP may have been intending to cut just in front of the barrel band (@ just over 17") so as to not have to relocate it, but they still would have had to thread, trim the mag tube, and relocate the front sight.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes those dollar figures are way out of line. As mentioned, mine isn't an SBR, but the reduction to 16" still required relocating the barrel band, shortening the mag tube and remounting the front sight. Everything I'd have had to do if going to 12 or 14 inches. While I wont quote what my gunsmith charged (he's an old friend and I suspect I got a significant "buddy discount") it wasn't even in the same ballpark of 1k. Heck, even Ranger Point Precision quoted less than 300 when I asked them, and they have a great rep in the levergun community. Now I think that RPP may have been intending to cut just in front of the barrel band (@ just over 17") so as to not have to relocate it, but they still would have had to thread, trim the mag tube, and relocate the front sight.
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JKW/media/A87322B3-5ED4-4FD8-BE4F-3704C1CDC084_zpsll2rggrk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/JKW/A87322B3-5ED4-4FD8-BE4F-3704C1CDC084_zpsll2rggrk.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JKW/media/DB3F006B-11D9-4807-803E-7ACFE94BE4EB_zpsspb82hej.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/JKW/DB3F006B-11D9-4807-803E-7ACFE94BE4EB_zpsspb82hej.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JKW/media/A87322B3-5ED4-4FD8-BE4F-3704C1CDC084_zpsll2rggrk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/JKW/A87322B3-5ED4-4FD8-BE4F-3704C1CDC084_zpsll2rggrk.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JKW/media/DB3F006B-11D9-4807-803E-7ACFE94BE4EB_zpsspb82hej.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/JKW/DB3F006B-11D9-4807-803E-7ACFE94BE4EB_zpsspb82hej.jpg</a>

Thank you, that info makes my decision to go for it a lot easier.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm currently SBR a Ranch Hand and just waiting on the stock from Boyd's to arrive. Had the barrel threaded by Morgan at Class3 Machining and will be connected via a HK 3 lug mount.

I was wondering those that have done it, where did you engrave?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#9]

7.5" barrel, 4+1 capacity. If I was gonna do it again, I'd use an 1894c due to ease of optic mounting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
^  Well there's something youdon't see every day.  Pretty wild looking setup.  Got any more pics of it, without the suppresor and of the left side showing that stock (I'm assuming it's a folder)?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:48:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/tuptmore3/media/FB_IMG_1454877472200_zps8neilqdz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag274/tuptmore3/FB_IMG_1454877472200_zps8neilqdz.jpg</a>

7.5" barrel, 4+1 capacity. If I was gonna do it again, I'd use an 1894c due to ease of optic mounting.
View Quote

thats essentially what I was planning, as you say in a 1894.

Also was going to do a detachable stock setup using the mauser broomhandle style attachment.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/tuptmore3/media/FB_IMG_1454877472200_zps8neilqdz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag274/tuptmore3/FB_IMG_1454877472200_zps8neilqdz.jpg</a>

View Quote

Just out of curiousity, where did you engrave on your receiver?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I have not jumped into this area just yet but regular lever guns are something I get lots of enjoyment out of so it is a area of speculation for me

When I start to consider such things I start to mentally ballance 357 against 44Mag . If you are handloading the ammo cost isn't a huge deal and you get the ability to have the heavy bullets with plenty of energy left even when subsonic
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#14]
My .357 Ranch Hand w/ Boyds stock. I had the receiver drilled and tapped and added the NOE scope mount and Burris Fastfire 2. The can is a Tirant 9.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My .357 Ranch Hand w/ Boyds stock. I had the receiver drilled and tapped and added the NOE scope mount and Burris Fastfire 2. The can is a Tirant 9.
<a href="http://s789.photobucket.com/user/bargainmania/media/Mobile%20Uploads/e322e8b6-a2a8-412d-94a6-0dc19497850d_zpsneqcrwpa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy174/bargainmania/Mobile%20Uploads/e322e8b6-a2a8-412d-94a6-0dc19497850d_zpsneqcrwpa.jpg</a>
View Quote

That is such a neat little package. So is the Raider14's above with the side folder. BTW, Raider14, what part of Texas are you in? I'd love to bump into you someday and see (and hear) that little gun.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:29:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Still a work in progress,  but, I did the paperwork on this little .357 Mag Ranch Hand i picked up used, last year.

After being on his waiting list for over a year, I finally sent it off to Steve's Gunz last March for his action job treatment.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm considering SBRing a 357 lever gun for general plinking with a suppressor. I haven't decided on the model yet but it will probably end up being a Rossi simply because they are cheap and easy to find.

Either way, I'd like to hear some of your experiences and see some pictures of short lever guns. What model did you SBR? Caliber? Barrel length? Are you happy with it or would you change anything given the chance to do it again?
View Quote

Interested in the idea, OST.

Also, where are you finding the cheap.357 Rossi's at?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all relative, guess I should say comparatively cheap.... Saw one for five hundred something a few days ago.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's all relative, guess I should say comparatively cheap.... Saw one for five hundred something a few days ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been looking on the used market, most .357s I've seen are still $5-600+, even the shooter grade run of the mill 3030 is getting into the $450 range, here at least.

I would love about 3 .357 levers! And a few more in other calibers too. I'm about to start hitting the new market now for some....
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Tooele shooting supply has a steady stream of Rossi 92 in all configurations for $500 give or take and they only charge $10 shipping.  
Locally Rossi 92 in 357 is $415+tax, Marlin 1894 in 44 is $560.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Saw a Ranch Hand listed at Bud's online for $350.  Had to search around for it, think it was under 'clearance' or reduced price or something like that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Just picked a Rossi up today.... The long wait begins.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/25chuck/media/Weapons/20160522_155327_zpsa3jnwyue.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j252/25chuck/Weapons/20160522_155327_zpsa3jnwyue.jpg</a>

View Quote

I could say that I'm not jealous, but it wouldn't be truthful. I hope this thread gets enough activity here and there to keep it out of the archives.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I could say that I'm not jealous, but it wouldn't be truthful. I hope this thread gets enough activity here and there to keep it out of the archives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/25chuck/media/Weapons/20160522_155327_zpsa3jnwyue.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j252/25chuck/Weapons/20160522_155327_zpsa3jnwyue.jpg</a>

Well, you know the fix for that.... Go get one!

It's going to be an expensive project though for sure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Here's a nice Marlin (not mine, left cold):  http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1745136#Post1745136

If I had to guess it's an early 80's model and looks to be in good condition, note the non-ramped front sight.  If one could get it for $650 it would be a nice deal.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Question?  Why chop the barrel of a rifle instead of taking a Mares Leg or Ranch Hand and putting a rifle stock on it for the same tax stamp.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Question?  Why chop the barrel of a rifle instead of taking a Mares Leg or Ranch Hand and putting a rifle stock on it for the same tax stamp.
View Quote

My reasoning was that I would have to modify the barrel regardless to thread it. I also haven't seen any 357 Mare's Legs in stock my area.

My way will probably end up being slightly more expensive due to chopping the mag tube, however, I don't like the large loop on the Mare's Leg so I save money by not having to change that out.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I am just getting ready to do this with a Ranch Hand 45LC. I gotta great deal in. I am going to form 1 it and suppress it. I had a friend look at the barrel about threading it, he thought there wouldn't be enough barrel to thread. He thought the walls of the barrel would be too small? His recommendation was a clamp on.

Do you guys that have done this have any thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#29]
SBR'd ranch hands look awesome!

I am thinking maybe a .454 Rossi cut to Ranch hand length may be the way to go. I have a .45 Blackhawk Convertible, a companion rifle would be awesome!
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:01:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Geez...this website.....

A whole 'nother thing that I didn't even know I wanted until now

Those are some serious cool suppressed SBR lever actions!

Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted: He thought the walls of the barrel would be too small? His recommendation was a clamp on.

View Quote

The barrel is probably too thin.  I just did one in 44 and it was too thin for a shoulder.  Send it to one of the many places that will make a removable extension, then you don't have to bother with shortening the mag tube.  On my 16inch the sight was far enough behind the muzzle it didn't even have to be moved.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am just getting ready to do this with a Ranch Hand 45LC. I gotta great deal in. I am going to form 1 it and suppress it. I had a friend look at the barrel about threading it, he thought there wouldn't be enough barrel to thread. He thought the walls of the barrel would be too small? His recommendation was a clamp on.

View Quote

Clamp on isn't recommended since it may not be concentric with the bore.

I sent mine to Morgan at class3machining and he initially made me a threaded adapter to get the shoulder for a thread on suppressor. After a few trips to the range I got lazy to keep twisting it on and check to see if it was still threaded after a few rounds so I mounted a 3-lug adapter and haven't looked back since.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I sent mine to Morgan at class3machining and he initially made me a threaded adapter to get the shoulder for a thread on suppressor. After a few trips to the range I got lazy to keep twisting it on and check to see if it was still threaded after a few rounds so I mounted a 3-lug adapter and haven't looked back since.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So can you show me a picture or link to a 3-lug adapter.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is Road Warrior as hell
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The top shows the 3-lug adapter and mount and the bottom is the original threaded adapter
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#36]
ARFCOM delivers.
I found this thread when I opened up active topics to look for the proper place for a lever SBR question.

So, here goes: I am looking to get a Redhawk in .45Colt/.45ACP. My question: can a .45Colt lever rifle be modified to feed .45 Colt AND .45ACP ( a'la a .357/ .38 lever). I realize one has a rim and one doesn't.

But.

I need one.

For reasons.

Any wisdom and/or advice appreciated.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The top shows the 3-lug adapter and mount and the bottom is the original threaded adapter
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/nj0ywatch1np0rn/2016-05-09%2018.28.22.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! Forgive me, I am not mechanically minded at all. So how did you mount the lug on the barrel? Did you do this yourself or have someone else do it?

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My question: can a .45Colt lever rifle be modified to feed .45 Colt AND .45ACP ( a'la a .357/ .38 lever).

View Quote

No.  Acp has to headspace from case mouth so a 45colt cartridge wouldn't even fit.  Also the rounds are too different in length to make both work.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks! Forgive me, I am not mechanically minded at all. So how did you mount the lug on the barrel? Did you do this yourself or have someone else do it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sent the barrel to class3machining to have the barrel threaded with an added adapter since I didn't want to cut my magazine tube. After awhile, I had a 3-lug mount that I had sitting around.

So I took the adapter off and rocksetted the 3-lug mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top