Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2016 12:12:36 PM EDT
I have been asked to sell this rifle for a family friend and am trying to determine the condition so I can come up with a reserve price. This rifle is all original except for the sight. The magazine tube is a little dinged up and loose but other than that the rifle is in good operational condition. I am guessing between 50-60%.
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Got to love an old 92 :)

You might ask over at this forum. These guys are pretty good pricing old Winchesters

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=410211
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd put it in the "bitchin" category.

As in, "That rifle is "bitchin"!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You might ask over at this forum. These guys are pretty good pricing old Winchesters

View Quote

Yeah I wish I had the money to buy it from him, but  with having two Springfield Professionals coming in the next couple weeks I think the wife might kill me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah I wish I had the money to buy it from him, but  with having two Springfield Professionals coming in the next couple weeks I think the wife might kill me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's some cash flow right there. How long did you have to wait for the Springfield's?

I bought my first 1911 last Oct, I had been looking at the Mil-spec for months, the LGS had a Rock Island GI, I had the cash so I bought it. 4 weeks later I bought the mil-spec and 4 months after that I bought another mil-spec, same exact gun. IMO, the mil spec is the nicest 1911 I have ever shot, I can only imagine how nice the pro's are.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's some cash flow right there. How long did you have to wait for the Springfield's?

I bought my first 1911 last Oct, I had been looking at the Mil-spec for months, the LGS had a Rock Island GI, I had the cash so I bought it. 4 weeks later I bought the mil-spec and 4 months after that I bought another mil-spec, same exact gun. IMO, the mil spec is the nicest 1911 I have ever shot, I can only imagine how nice the pro's are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

24 months so far. I put $200 back each month for them so it was not a huge hit when they show up, also made it a lot easier to talk the wife into. I have been wanting to get a mil-spec for awhile as well, I have read great reviews on them and want to build a MEU(SOC) 1911 clone out of one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#6]
That's weird, it has s saddle ring and a carbine forend, but a round rifle barrel and magazine hanger instead of a front barrel band.  Either a custom ordered gun or maybe rebuilt from two separate guns? Never seen a rifle style mag tube hanger on a carbine before.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#7]
25-20 has fallen by the board in the last few years.  Nobody makes brass for it--the last seasonal run by Remington was probably 3-4 years ago.  Nobody makes flatpoint bullets in 25Cal either.

It's a dream with cast bullets though.  And you can make the brass from 32-20 which Starline produces.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I think you need to use the Antique scale on this gun, don't you?  Because the amount of original finish left doesn't tell the whole story on this rifle/carbine.  I'd be thinking "Very Good" or "Good" (I'm not a Winchester expert, to the replaced parts component of the condition is a tough one for me here).  From the NRA Museum website:

NRA Museum Firearms Condition Guide

NRA ANTIQUE FIREARM CONDITIONS STANDARDS:
•FACTORY NEW: All original parts; 100% original finish; in perfect condition in every respect, inside and out.
•EXCELLENT: All original parts; over 80% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; unmarred wood; fine bore.
•FINE: All original parts; over 30% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; minor marks in wood; good bore.
•VERY GOOD: All original parts; none to 30% original finish; original metal surfaces smooth with all edges sharp; clear lettering, numerals and design on metal; wood slightly scratched or bruised; bore disregarded for collectors firearms.
•GOOD: Some minor replacement parts; metal smoothly rusted or lightly pitted in places, cleaned or re-blued; principal letters, numerals and design on metal legible; wood refinished, scratched bruised or minor cracks repaired; in good working order.
•FAIR: Some major parts replaced; minor replacement parts may be required; metal rusted, may be lightly pitted all over, vigorously cleaned or re-blued; rounded edges of metal and wood; principal lettering, numerals and design on metal partly obliterated; wood scratched, bruised, cracked or repaired where broken; in fair working order or can be easily repaired and placed in working order.
•POOR: Major and minor parts replaced; major replacement parts required and extensive restoration needed; metal deeply pitted; principal lettering, numerals and design obliterated, wood badly scratched, bruised, cracked or broken; mechanically inoperative; generally undesirable as a collector's firearm.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's weird, it has s saddle ring and a carbine forend, but a round rifle barrel and magazine hanger instead of a front barrel band.  Either a custom ordered gun or maybe rebuilt from two separate guns? Never seen a rifle style mag tube hanger on a carbine before.
View Quote

So would this be a good gun to get a letter on?

Quoted:
I think you need to use the Antique scale on this gun, don't you?  Because the amount of original finish left doesn't tell the whole story on this rifle/carbine.  I'd be thinking "Very Good" or "Good" (I'm not a Winchester expert, to the replaced parts component of the condition is a tough one for me here).  From the NRA Museum website:

NRA Museum Firearms Condition Guide

NRA ANTIQUE FIREARM CONDITIONS STANDARDS:
•FACTORY NEW: All original parts; 100% original finish; in perfect condition in every respect, inside and out.
•EXCELLENT: All original parts; over 80% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; unmarred wood; fine bore.
•FINE: All original parts; over 30% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; minor marks in wood; good bore.
•VERY GOOD: All original parts; none to 30% original finish; original metal surfaces smooth with all edges sharp; clear lettering, numerals and design on metal; wood slightly scratched or bruised; bore disregarded for collectors firearms.
•GOOD: Some minor replacement parts; metal smoothly rusted or lightly pitted in places, cleaned or re-blued; principal letters, numerals and design on metal legible; wood refinished, scratched bruised or minor cracks repaired; in good working order.
•FAIR: Some major parts replaced; minor replacement parts may be required; metal rusted, may be lightly pitted all over, vigorously cleaned or re-blued; rounded edges of metal and wood; principal lettering, numerals and design on metal partly obliterated; wood scratched, bruised, cracked or repaired where broken; in fair working order or can be easily repaired and placed in working order.
•POOR: Major and minor parts replaced; major replacement parts required and extensive restoration needed; metal deeply pitted; principal lettering, numerals and design obliterated, wood badly scratched, bruised, cracked or broken; mechanically inoperative; generally undesirable as a collector's firearm.

Rob
View Quote

I will look into this tonight. That would make sense to use the antique scale though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top