Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2016 4:49:41 PM EDT
I took my Uberti 1873 with Cody-Matic action job to the range today and experienced several light primer strikes. The ammo was Federal American Eagle 158 gr JSP. Up until today, I have only fired 300 rounds of Winchester Cowboy loads through it. I took a closer look at the rifle when I got home and I think the hammer is dragging. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Update: I got my rifle back from the smith and the enclosed note said "Repair from being shot out of battery". I'm working on finding out exactly what that means. As an aside, my stock is now cracked. It sucks, too, because the stock is one of the main reasons I bought this particular gun.

Link Posted: 3/5/2016 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If the hammer is dragging you'll either be able to feel it or if not you'll probably see evidence of it after not to many rounds.

One common denominator of most action jobs on a lever action is a reduction in the weight of the hammer spring, as cocking the hammer is a fairly larger percentage of the total force needed to cycle the action.  If the spring is adjusted too light, you'll get light strikes.

----

On anther note, I know a lot of people shoot the 1873 in .357 Magnum, or at least talk about doing it, but the 1873's toggle link action design really isn't made for it, and a steady diet of full power .357 Magnum loads will result over time in the head space growing due to the excessive forces placed on the breech block and toggle link by the .357 Mag.  

If you really want to shoot full power .357 Mag loads, get an 1892 as it is a much, much stronger action.  The 1892 can be slicked up a lot and will run with one finger, although it will never be as slick and fast as a well tuned 1873, (which is why the 1873 is so popular in CASS circles, but light loads are the norm there).  Still, an 1892 is a much better choice for field use with full power .357 Magnum loads.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the Uberti repro hammer powered by a leaf spring?  If so is the inspiring mainspring tensioning screw/ mounting screw loose?
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#3]
As someone else said, check the hammer spring tensioning screw. It's under the lever, second screw forward of the lever latch. Just tighten it 1/2 to 3/4 turns and I bet your problem disappears.

On anther note, I know a lot of people shoot the 1873 in .357 Magnum, or at least talk about doing it, but the 1873's toggle link action design really isn't made for it, and a steady diet of full power .357 Magnum loads will result over time in the head space growing due to the excessive forces placed on the breech block and toggle link by the .357 Mag.

If you really want to shoot full power .357 Mag loads, get an 1892 as it is a much, much stronger action. The 1892 can be slicked up a lot and will run with one finger, although it will never be as slick and fast as a well tuned 1873, (which is why the 1873 is so popular in CASS circles, but light loads are the norm there). Still, an 1892 is a much better choice for field use with full power .357 Magnum loads.
View Quote

Will this BS ever cease to be perpetuated?!?!? There's never been a single shred of first-hand evidence submitted of someone trashing a '73, yet this horse will forever be beat to death. YES, the '92 is a stronger action...NO that doesn't automatically make the '73 too weak. Bear in mind that the original 1873 Colt was designed for black powder loads and would be destroyed by smokeless loads. But that doesn't mean the same revolver in Pre-War, Second, Third and Fourth generation won't handle todays modern loads. Why can't folks apply this same logic and common sense to the 1873 Winchester design??

I happen to be one of those who owns a '73 in .44 Magnum and I personally have far more confidence in the engineers who designed and tested these rifles than I do in the self proclaimed internet experts. And FWIW I recently acquired an 1866 in 44-40 and have so far cast and fired well over 500 rounds of these 220 gr. bullets through it powered by enough Unique to run the bullet 1300 fps. No problems of any kind. NONE.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Will this BS ever cease to be perpetuated?!?!? ...etc,

View Quote

No.  Mostly because there's a sharp difference of opinion regarding it's status as "BS".

Fortunately, there's room for more than one opinion on the planet, and no need to bash anyone and everyone who disagrees with yours, so lighten up.

The OP can make his own call on the issue, but he's been duly warned of the potential consequences.

Personally, I think getting an already expensive '73, spending more on a short stroke action job intended for fast and smooth operation with cowboy loads and then running it on a regular diet of full power .357 Mag loads is a little stupid.  

----

To each his own, but let's make an informed decision and consider a few more things first:

1. Most loading manuals suggest maximum loads around 16,000 psi for original 1873's and I tend to take their advice fairly seriously.   Similarly, many experienced shooters prefer to limit their .357 Magnum loads to around  20,000-23,000 psi in a modern 1873 reproduction and you might want to consider that.

2. Will a modern 1873 stand up to a limited number of full power 35,000 psi .357 mag rounds?  Absolutely.  In Italy arms are proof tested to 130% of the design pressure, so they'll even take 45,500 psi proof loads (at least once) without violently disassembling themselves, but that's not the same thing as saying it can stand many repetitions of that abuse.

Even the best steel has finite limits and carbon steel has an elastic limit as well as a fatigue limit.  What this means is that as long as you stay under the fatigue limit, you can expose the steel to an unlimited number of pressure cycles and not fatigue the steel.  It'll keep doing those pressure cycles forever.  There is also an elastic limit, and provided you don't exceed the elastic limit, the steel will return to its original shape/dimensions.   In between however is that grey area where you're exceeding the fatigue limit and taking useful life off the critical parts with each and every pressure cycle.  Eventually it's going to fail and in the 1873 it's the toggle link pin that fails first.

The trick then for longevity in an 1873 then is to operate it at pressures under the fatigue limit.   In the case of the 1873 it's pretty well documented that the toggle link pins get damaged over time with high pressure loads, resulting in excessive headspace.  Unfortunately,  I suspect most .357 Mag 1873 shooters don't own a set of head space gauges let alone check the head space periodically.   Consequently, I suspect most of the shooters with this condition in their .357 Mag 1873's  due to a steady diet of full power .357 mag loads don't notice the excessive headspace in anything other than shorter brass life.    

3. I also recommend you be careful about putting too much faith in the opinion of the engineers, unless you understand the base conditions and assumptions they were working from.   For example, the Model 19 was designed in .357 Magnum as arguably the ideal police duty revolver, and it was.  But is was designed on the assumption that practice would be done with .38 Special with the revolver being primarily shot with .38 Special and carried with .357 Magnum with a ratio of rounds fired of probably 100s to 1.  However when law enforcement agencies got sued for under training officers and switched to .357 mag for practice, some Model 19s with steady diets of .357 Mag started to show  up with cracked forcing cones.

Currently, S&W sells J-frame .357 Mag revolvers that have similarly slim forcing cones.  Why?  Because the S&W engineers are betting that the discomfort of shooting a light weight J-frame revolver with a full power .357 mag load will be sufficient to limit the round count to acceptable levels.  Change that assumption with a masochist who enjoys it, and you'll have a much greater potential to break the revolver as it's now being used in a manner that was not consistent with the design assumptions and the metal is being pushed past the fatigue limit.  

Engineers don't design things to be stronger, they design them be lighter and or simpler.  The goals is to perform a specific function with as light and simple or inexpensive a design as possible.  In that regard they consider the end use and how the end user will actually use it.

4. How much more pressure are we talking about?

The standard pressure .44-40 had a base diameter of .471" and operated at 13,000 CUP and modern loads run around 12,500 psi max, while the .38-40 had a base diameter of .465 " and operated at 14,000 CUP and modern loads run around 13,500 psi max.  In comparison the .357 Mag has a base diameter of .379" operates at 35,000 psi and the .44 Mag has abase diameter of .457" and operates at 36, 000 psi.

In terms of area times pressure, the .38-40 develops about 2,292 pounds of theoretical pressure on the bolt face, while the .44-40 develops about 2,177 pounds of pressure on the bolt face.  In comparison the .357 develops 3,948 pounds and the .44 Mag develops 5,904 pounds.  That's theoretical as some of the pressure is reduced by brass adhering to the chamber wall and the pressure needed to stretch the brass back against the bolt face.

That means a modern 1873  in .357 Mag with its modern metallurgy but original design and dimensions has to withstand 172% of the pressure of the .38-40 in an original 1873.  A modern 1873 in .44 Mag would have to withstand 258% of the pressure of a .38-40 in the original. T

The numbers are not absolute, but they are proportional as are the bolt forces produced and the percentages reflect the additional strength needed to accommodate the modern rounds.

5. So the questions to ask yourself are:

A) How much stronger is a modern 1873 compared to an old one and where exactly does the fatigue limit lie (a tough one to answer);
B) How many full power .357 Mag rounds did the engineers assume the average shorter would actually put through a new 1873 (many shooters shooting ."357 Mag" in their 1873's are using the longer .357 case for better accuracy/less bullet jump, but with .38 Special loads and pressures);
C) Why do so many shooters refrain from full power loads in their modern 1873s in .357 Mag;
D) How much increase in headspace am I willing to live with before I have it rebuilt; and
E) If I'm going to shoot the rifle with full power .357 Mag loads, why not just get a much stronger Model 92 will handle this loads with ease?   (Since the Model 1892 is a design that handles 65,000 psi in the .454 Casull.)

6) To me, It makes more sense to consider each of these issues in depth rather than to rely on a few case studies where shooters claim they've shot X number of rounds of unknown pressure through their 1873's with no obvious problems (but also no documentation that the head space is still right).

And again to me, it makes a lot more sense to use the right tool for the job and just get a Model 1892 if I want to shoot a steady diet of .357 Magnum loads, and reserve my 1873 for fast, slick shooting with light cowboy action loads.

But hey, it's American and we have both freedom of speech and freedom of choice, thank God, so the OP and the reader are free to make his or her own decision.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#5]
It may be a different matter with straight reproductions like the Chiappa and Uberti. But I just purchased a Winchester (Miroku) 1873 Trapper, and the manual specifically states it is a "modern version" of the 1873. And in fact image comparisons of the Miroku 1873s to the Uberti 1873s do show many differences in internal design. The Mirokuchesters seem to be more 1873-like, rather than 1873s.

From the manual,

And with regard to the ammunition, from the manual,

That being said, I plan to reload my own ammo for my lever guns. Not out of concern for the action, but more because .38 Special loads are much nicer to shoot, particularly for my wife. She's intimidated by the ARs but she loves the levers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

E) If I'm going to shoot the rifle with full power .357 Mag loads, why not just get a much stronger Model 92 will handle this loads with ease?   (Since the Model 1892 is a design that handles 65,000 psi in the .454 Casull.)

View Quote

You where doing well until the logic fail of 5E.  The 92 was never originally chambered for anything more powerful than the .44-40.   Now I understand your points but it is modern engineering and materials science that have allowed the .454 to be chambered in the 92 without worry.  Likewise engineering is a pretty exact science these days so if a manufacturer offers a firearm in a SAAMI standard cartridge you can be sure their lawyers are satisfied they are not going to be in court defending the company from liability claims and the accountants are satisfied they will not be paying for a mass recall.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You where doing well until the logic fail of 5E.  The 92 was never originally chambered for anything more powerful than the .44-40.   Now I understand your points but it is modern engineering and materials science that have allowed the .454 to be chambered in the 92 without worry.  Likewise engineering is a pretty exact science these days so if a manufacturer offers a firearm in a SAAMI standard cartridge you can be sure their lawyers are satisfied they are not going to be in court defending the company from liability claims and the accountants are satisfied they will not be paying for a mass recall.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didnt say it was designed for anything more than the 44-40. Only that the design could handle a .454.

I wonder what an original 92 could handle
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The 1892 was a scaled down version of the Model 1886, which was designed around larger, longer black powder rifle cartridges.

The 1886 was found to be very adaptable to smokeless rounds with the substitution of a nickel steel barrel and it stayed in production until 1936.  In fact, with only minor modification the 1886 became the Model 71, chambered for .348 Winchester operating at 40,000 CUP.

The 1892, being a scaled down 1886, had a shorter bolt and a shorter receiver, both of which increased its strength by reducing the potential flex of the bolt and receiver.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:20:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No.  Mostly because there's a sharp difference of opinion regarding it's status as "BS".

Fortunately, there's room for more than one opinion on the planet, and no need to bash anyone and everyone who disagrees with yours, so lighten up.

An opinion is exactly what you're submitting: "A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."  Your opinion, my opinion, or anyone else's for that matter, has nothing to do with the subject, only facts do. We are all certainly free to assert our opinions, but I for one will not base decisions on a self prescribed experts opinion. Show me first hand evidence, and you'll have my undivided attention. If opinion were all that mattered, then I'd be levitating around my property checking the cows, fences, etc.

The OP can make his own call on the issue, but he's been duly warned of the potential consequences.

Personally, I think getting an already expensive '73, spending more on a short stroke action job intended for fast and smooth operation with cowboy loads and then running it on a regular diet of full power .357 Mag loads is a little stupid.  

And personally I think buying a .357 then being afraid to fire .357's in it is a little irrational. Why not just buy a '66 chambered in .38 Special?

----

To each his own, but let's make an informed decision and consider a few more things first:

1. Most loading manuals suggest maximum loads around 16,000 psi for original 1873's and I tend to take their advice fairly seriously.   Similarly, many experienced shooters prefer to limit their .357 Magnum loads to around  20,000-23,000 psi in a modern 1873 reproduction and you might want to consider that.

It's closer to 14,000 psi and most advise BP only in the older Winchesters. (Of which I own two, FWIW, both over 125 years old)

Who are these experienced shooters? You refer to them as though somewhere, there's some mass group of 1873 shooters who as a whole shoot low pressure .357 handloads in their rifles. If you're talking about CAS competitors, the ones with whom I have competed load and shoot .38's not because of their lower pressures. but for 1) economics and 2) speed.

2. Will a modern 1873 stand up to a limited number of full power 35,000 psi .357 mag rounds?  Absolutely.  In Italy arms are proof tested to 130% of the design pressure, so they'll even take 45,500 psi proof loads (at least once) without violently disassembling themselves, but that's not the same thing as saying it can stand many repetitions of that abuse.

Even the best steel has finite limits and carbon steel has an elastic limit as well as a fatigue limit.  What this means is that as long as you stay under the fatigue limit, you can expose the steel to an unlimited number of pressure cycles and not fatigue the steel.  It'll keep doing those pressure cycles forever.  There is also an elastic limit, and provided you don't exceed the elastic limit, the steel will return to its original shape/dimensions.   In between however is that grey area where you're exceeding the fatigue limit and taking useful life off the critical parts with each and every pressure cycle.  Eventually it's going to fail and in the 1873 it's the toggle link pin that fails first.

The trick then for longevity in an 1873 then is to operate it at pressures under the fatigue limit.   In the case of the 1873 it's pretty well documented that the toggle link pins get damaged over time with high pressure loads, resulting in excessive headspace.  Unfortunately,  I suspect most .357 Mag 1873 shooters don't own a set of head space gauges let alone check the head space periodically.   Consequently, I suspect most of the shooters with this condition in their .357 Mag 1873's  due to a steady diet of full power .357 mag loads don't notice the excessive headspace in anything other than shorter brass life.    

Thanks for the crash course in metallurgy, but unless you have the Rockwell numbers of the frame, links and pins, it's all irrelevant. My guess is these rifles will wear out from being cycled long, long before they'll wear out from being fired with the ammunition for which they're designed.

3. I also recommend you be careful about putting too much faith in the opinion of the engineers, unless you understand the base conditions and assumptions they were working from.   For example, the Model 19 was designed in .357 Magnum as arguably the ideal police duty revolver, and it was.  But is was designed on the assumption that practice would be done with .38 Special with the revolver being primarily shot with .38 Special and carried with .357 Magnum with a ratio of rounds fired of probably 100s to 1.  However when law enforcement agencies got sued for under training officers and switched to .357 mag for practice, some Model 19s with steady diets of .357 Mag started to show  up with cracked forcing cones.

Currently, S&W sells J-frame .357 Mag revolvers that have similarly slim forcing cones.  Why?  Because the S&W engineers are betting that the discomfort of shooting a light weight J-frame revolver with a full power .357 mag load will be sufficient to limit the round count to acceptable levels.  Change that assumption with a masochist who enjoys it, and you'll have a much greater potential to break the revolver as it's now being used in a manner that was not consistent with the design assumptions and the metal is being pushed past the fatigue limit.  

Engineers don't design things to be stronger, they design them be lighter and or simpler.  The goals is to perform a specific function with as light and simple or inexpensive a design as possible.  In that regard they consider the end use and how the end user will actually use it.

So I should listen to you rather than a firearms engineer? That's funny. Will you please provide the documentation from which you gleaned all this information? Especially all that about the S&W 19. Was it an internal memo or something available to the public?

My FIL and stepfather are both engineers and the field in which I have worked for almost 16 years puts me in direct contact with engineers almost on a daily basis (My direct supervisor is an engineer). So I can tell you with 100% certainty that your statement regarding these educated individuals is ridiculously uninformed and doesn't even merit discussion.

Not long ago a gentleman related to me that he'd stopped by the Uberti booth and was quizzing the rep as to the strength of their 1873 where it pertained to the .44 Magnum chambering. He replied simply: "Why would we chamber a firearm for a cartridge it couldn't handle?" (Paraphrasing, of course)

The standard pressure .44-40 had a base diameter of .471" and operated at 13,000 CUP and modern loads run around 12,500 psi max, while the .38-40 had a base diameter of .465 " and operated at 14,000 CUP and modern loads run around 13,500 psi max.  In comparison the .357 Mag has a base diameter of .379" operates at 35,000 psi and the .44 Mag has abase diameter of .457" and operates at 36, 000 psi.

The rim is what exerts force on the bolt, not the internal diameter of the case.

In terms of area times pressure, the .38-40 develops about 2,292 pounds of theoretical pressure on the bolt face, while the .44-40 develops about 2,177 pounds of pressure on the bolt face.  In comparison the .357 develops 3,948 pounds and the .44 Mag develops 5,904 pounds.  That's theoretical as some of the pressure is reduced by brass adhering to the chamber wall and the pressure needed to stretch the brass back against the bolt face.

That means a modern 1873  in .357 Mag with its modern metallurgy but original design and dimensions has to withstand 172% of the pressure of the .38-40 in an original 1873.  A modern 1873 in .44 Mag would have to withstand 258% of the pressure of a .38-40 in the original. T

The numbers are not absolute, but they are proportional as are the bolt forces produced and the percentages reflect the additional strength needed to accommodate the modern rounds.

Are you so delusional as to still believe that an 1873 produced this year is of the same strength as one produced 130 years ago???? For that matter even the '92's??

A) How much stronger is a modern 1873 compared to an old one and where exactly does the fatigue limit lie (a tough one to answer); How much stronger are todays '98 Mausers than those produced 100 years ago? How much stronger are todays Colt SA's than those produced in 1880? How much stronger are the Ishapore 2A's (chambered for the 308 Win.) than their SMLE ancestor (Chambered for the much lower pressure .303 British) How much stronger are todays '92 Winchesters and their copies than those that are 100+ years old? You might want to snag a back issue of Handloader- January 1975 Issue and read Ken Waters article on loads for the 38-40. Or, here's all you really need to see:

Now, do you still think the metal and technology used then to  produce these rifles is still being used? Do you think the '92 in that article could've handled the pressure of a 454? A 44 Magnum or even a .357? Of course not. Technology has improved the strength of the '92 AND the '73. Accept and get used to that fact.

B) How many full power .357 Mag rounds did the engineers assume the average shorter would actually put through a new 1873 (many shooters shooting ."357 Mag" in their 1873's are using the longer .357 case for better accuracy/less bullet jump, but with .38 Special loads and pressures);

Why don't you call or e-mail and ask them? Honestly, I think most folks spend way more time thinking about it than actually shooting.

C) Why do so many shooters refrain from full power loads in their modern 1873s in .357 Mag;

Again, who exactly?

D) How much increase in headspace am I willing to live with before I have it rebuilt; and

How will headspace increase? Have you ever actually looked at the inside of the action of a '66 or '73? Do you not realize that for headspace to increase you either have to compress the links or the mass of receiver metal behind them. The pins simply cannot bend because there's no place for them TO bend. There's absolutely no slack in any of my '73's that would allow headspace to increase without gross bolt thrust. The only way I could see headspace possible increasing is if the bolt were to flex.

Why not? Because the '92's have a longer stroke and are far more prone to feeding issues due to the angle in which the cartridge enters the chamber. I own a '92 and have used it in CAS competition so I know this firsthand.

6) To me, It makes more sense to consider each of these issues in depth rather than to rely on a few case studies where shooters claim they've shot X number of rounds of unknown pressure through their 1873's with no obvious problems (but also no documentation that the head space is still right).

And again to me, it makes a lot more sense to use the right tool for the job and just get a Model 1892 if I want to shoot a steady diet of .357 Magnum loads, and reserve my 1873 for fast, slick shooting with light cowboy action loads.

But hey, it's American and we have both freedom of speech and freedom of choice, thank God, so the OP and the reader are free to make his or her own decision.

To me, it makes more sense to listen to the experience of others rather than anothers uniformed opinion that is based on their irrational fears. If the '73 brings fear and anxiety into your world, then by all means use your '92's, but don't try to force your irrational fears on the rest of us.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will this BS ever cease to be perpetuated?!?!? ...etc,

An opinion is exactly what you're submitting: "A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."  Your opinion, my opinion, or anyone else's for that matter, has nothing to do with the subject, only facts do. We are all certainly free to assert our opinions, but I for one will not base decisions on a self prescribed experts opinion. Show me first hand evidence, and you'll have my undivided attention. If opinion were all that mattered, then I'd be levitating around my property checking the cows, fences, etc.

And personally I think buying a .357 then being afraid to fire .357's in it is a little irrational. Why not just buy a '66 chambered in .38 Special?

----

It's closer to 14,000 psi and most advise BP only in the older Winchesters. (Of which I own two, FWIW, both over 125 years old)

Who are these experienced shooters? You refer to them as though somewhere, there's some mass group of 1873 shooters who as a whole shoot low pressure .357 handloads in their rifles. If you're talking about CAS competitors, the ones with whom I have competed load and shoot .38's not because of their lower pressures. but for 1) economics and 2) speed.

Thanks for the crash course in metallurgy, but unless you have the Rockwell numbers of the frame, links and pins, it's all irrelevant. My guess is these rifles will wear out from being cycled long, long before they'll wear out from being fired with the ammunition for which they're designed.

So I should listen to you rather than a firearms engineer? That's funny. Will you please provide the documentation from which you gleaned all this information? Especially all that about the S&W 19. Was it an internal memo or something available to the public?

My FIL and stepfather are both engineers and the field in which I have worked for almost 16 years puts me in direct contact with engineers almost on a daily basis (My direct supervisor is an engineer). So I can tell you with 100% certainty that your statement regarding these educated individuals is ridiculously uninformed and doesn't even merit discussion.

Not long ago a gentleman related to me that he'd stopped by the Uberti booth and was quizzing the rep as to the strength of their 1873 where it pertained to the .44 Magnum chambering. He replied simply: "Why would we chamber a firearm for a cartridge it couldn't handle?" (Paraphrasing, of course)

The rim is what exerts force on the bolt, not the internal diameter of the case.

Are you so delusional as to still believe that an 1873 produced this year is of the same strength as one produced 130 years ago???? For that matter even the '92's??

A) How much stronger is a modern 1873 compared to an old one and where exactly does the fatigue limit lie (a tough one to answer); How much stronger are todays '98 Mausers than those produced 100 years ago? How much stronger are todays Colt SA's than those produced in 1880? How much stronger are the Ishapore 2A's (chambered for the 308 Win.) than their SMLE ancestor (Chambered for the much lower pressure .303 British) How much stronger are todays '92 Winchesters and their copies than those that are 100+ years old? You might want to snag a back issue of Handloader- January 1975 Issue and read Ken Waters article on loads for the 38-40. Or, here's all you really need to see:

Now, do you still think the metal and technology used then to  produce these rifles is still being used? Do you think the '92 in that article could've handled the pressure of a 454? A 44 Magnum or even a .357? Of course not. Technology has improved the strength of the '92 AND the '73. Accept and get used to that fact.

Why don't you call or e-mail and ask them? Honestly, I think most folks spend way more time thinking about it than actually shooting.

Again, who exactly?

How will headspace increase? Have you ever actually looked at the inside of the action of a '66 or '73? Do you not realize that for headspace to increase you either have to compress the links or the mass of receiver metal behind them. The pins simply cannot bend because there's no place for them TO bend. There's absolutely no slack in any of my '73's that would allow headspace to increase without gross bolt thrust. The only way I could see headspace possible increasing is if the bolt were to flex.

Why not? Because the '92's have a longer stroke and are far more prone to feeding issues due to the angle in which the cartridge enters the chamber. I own a '92 and have used it in CAS competition so I know this firsthand.

To me, it makes more sense to listen to the experience of others rather than anothers uniformed opinion that is based on their irrational fears. If the '73 brings fear and anxiety into your world, then by all means use your '92's, but don't try to force your irrational fears on the rest of us.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I asked Steve Young if 357 was too much for the 73 action.  He said 38 special was too much for the 73 action if we're talking about CAS shooters who put thousands of rounds a month through their rifles.  The issue is that the holes for the toggle pins wear from cycling the action and that causes slop.  The analogy he made was a bowling ball in a cardboard box in the back of a pickup.  The cardboard gives first and eventually the truck bed starts to give.

Presumably you could wear one out just cycling and dry firing enough.  But for those of us who will not shoot CAS and spread the wear around between this gun and that gun and the other gun 357 is fine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I asked Steve Young if 357 was too much for the 73 action.  He said 38 special was too much for the 73 action if we're talking about CAS shooters who put thousands of rounds a month through their rifles.  The issue is that the holes for the toggle pins wear from cycling the action and that causes slop.  The analogy he made was a bowling ball in a cardboard box in the back of a pickup.  The cardboard gives first and eventually the truck bed starts to give.

Presumably you could wear one out just cycling and dry firing enough.  But for those of us who will not shoot CAS and spread the wear around between this gun and that gun and the other gun 357 is fine.
View Quote

Steve might be a little biased towards '92's since that's how he makes his living, but I see his point to an extent. I'm sure it has alot to do with who/when manufactured the rifle and the quality of the metal therein. If the pins and the holes through which they pass are hard, I wouldn't expect much wear...sort of like a push rod being connected to a crankshaft. If the pins and their receptacles wear I'd think it'd almost have to be at everywhere except the receiver where the pins are pressed in an thus immovable.

I have a buddy that's a rabid CAS competitor and he recently retired so he's now shooting more than ever. To my knowledge he's been using the same Uberti '73 in .357 for 4 or 5 years. I think I'll give him a buzz and see what kind, if any, of trouble or maintenance issues he's had.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He didnt say it was designed for anything more than the 44-40. Only that the design could handle a .454.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And using that to argue against the same point in that the 1873 was designed for the .44 WCF it can now handle .357 in modern versions.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Steve might be a little biased towards '92's since that's how he makes his living, but I see his point to an extent. I'm sure it has alot to do with who/when manufactured the rifle and the quality of the metal therein. If the pins and the holes through which they pass are hard, I wouldn't expect much wear...sort of like a push rod being connected to a crankshaft. If the pins and their receptacles wear I'd think it'd almost have to be at everywhere except the receiver where the pins are pressed in an thus immovable.

I have a buddy that's a rabid CAS competitor and he recently retired so he's now shooting more than ever. To my knowledge he's been using the same Uberti '73 in .357 for 4 or 5 years. I think I'll give him a buzz and see what kind, if any, of trouble or maintenance issues he's had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoke with my buddy and he's still using the same '73. Total rounds,..."hmmm.....counting empty primer cartons....half would've been used in revolvers....so that'd be somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000 rounds through the rifle." Repairs? "One firing pin."
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, it's definitely a gun problem. I shot some Winchester cowboy loads today and had the same issue.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Check the firing pin and the headspace.  

If the 357 Magnum version of the 1873 rifle was bad, we would have heard about it by now.   And Uberti would have set it up for 38 Special only.

I think the action is fairly strong.   The 1876 was accused of being weak.   It is a larger version of the 1873 toggle type.   They kept adding powder and bullets until something blew.   It was at 350 grs black with 7 45 cal bullet when it blew.   The barrel split, not the action.   You can find the test on the net if you look for it.   The cartridge was the 45-75.

I would really like to have a 44 Magnum 1873.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well, it's definitely a gun problem. I shot some Winchester cowboy loads today and had the same issue.
View Quote

Have you checked the mainspring tension yet?

Is the fireing pin channel gummed up?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd like to see a .327 Magnum in either a 73 or 92. I think that would be a good round for hunting small to med size game,
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#18]
The gun is going to the smith so he can look it over.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'd like to see a .327 Magnum in either a 73 or 92. I think that would be a good round for hunting small to med size game,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I regularly encounter shooters, like myself, who'd love to see a six pound  Model 92 carbine in .32-20 or .327 Federal. The .327 Fed would probably have a larger market, assuming it could also feed .32 H&R and .32 S&W Long.  I'm fairly "meh" on the '73 in that caliber as it's already overly long and overly heavy even in a harder hitting caliber. I'd also like to see a Model 92 in .218 Bee.

Marlin currently makes the 1894CB in .32 H&R, but it's a tube loading rather than gate loading carbine, and I've also always felt the Marlin Model 1894 was clunkier than the Model 1892.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whether its the holes or the pins that deform over time probably depends on which is harder.

However, either way the limiting factor is the very small bearing surfaces involved.

------

In regards to the Ken Waters reference to bolt springing in the 1892, let's consider that in the context of a few other firearms:

The Savage 99

Bolt springing, and the eventual permanent growth in headspace, is a known issue in the Savage 99, in particular with the highest pressure rounds that it was chambered in.  

The Remington 788

This is an exceptionally accurate rifle that was also chambered in some high pressure rifle rounds.  Again, with rear locking lugs there is potential for some spring in the bolt, and like the Savage 99, it's best to avoid hot loading a 788.

The SMLE

The SMLE was one of the best known early rear locking lug bolt designs, but it traded strength for smoothness of operation, and the long rear locked bolt can flex a bit under pressure.

The FN FAL

The FN FAL uses a tilt bolt design that is also rear locked, creating the potential for the bolt to flex, yet it stands up well to high round counts in 7.62mm NATO.

The SKS

The SKS is also a rear locked tilt bolt design and it is again theoretically subject to bolt flex, but the bolt in question is very large relative to the cartridge.

The Model 1894 Winchester

The Model 94 is rear locked as well, and is generally acknowledged to not be as strong as the Model 92, given the smaller surface are of it's single locking lug that spans the entire width of the receiver, the longer bolt, and the longer receiver.

The Model 1886 Winchester

The Model 1886 was the parent of the Model 1892, which is in effect a scaled down version.  However the longer bolt and the longer receiver give the 1886 less strength than  the 1892, despite the 1886 being chambered for larger cartridges.  The Model 71 was  a slightly modified 1886, and it was chambered in the 40,000 CUP .348 Winchester.

It's probably worth noting that the Model 92 was also chambered in .218 bee which has the same 40,000 CUP pressure spec.

In any event, it's not a phenomenon unique to the Model 92, although it is minimized in the 1892 by the use of a comparatively short bolt that is comparatively large for the pressure and bolt thrust it encounters.   And it's just not an issue when you consider the other much higher pressure rifle rounds fired in other rear locked bolt designs.  

Now...discounting all of the bolt action  and semi auto rifles mentioned above,  just compare the bearing surfaces and mass of the bolts involved in the lever guns above and then compare that to the mass of the bolt and bearing surfaces involved with the 1873.  It's clear that the 1873 is the hands down loser when it comes to both factors and that there is certainly a lot more margin for additional stress and pressure in the 1892.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#21]
The smith that did the action job on my gun is very reputable and he says 357 Magnum shouldn't be fired in a 73 at all. I wouldn't think that's the problem with my gun as I put less than 20 rounds of it through it, but he did mention it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#22]
RE:  light primer strikes--one piece firing pin conversion article

Jan 2016 SASS Chronicle.  The whole PDF will load, so be sure you have some bandwidth.  Go directly to page 44.  

http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/16eChron/16janchron.pdf

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#23]
There's altogether too much DRAMA in this thread but,...

I learned a lot about the why's and wherefor's about the 1873's and shooting 357's.

I just wish I had one.  Someday, I'll stop in to a gun store or pawn shop and buy one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually he works on all of them and when we discussed the '73's action before I got my 45 Colt Uberti '73 Special Sporting Rifle that I limit to std 14,000psi level loads in,
he indicated he made a good living repairing the '73's actions so I'd
say he'd be more biased to encourage full 357mag loads in '73 actions.
I've shown this before but I think it bears revisiting.  The chart below I made up show the various bolt thrusts produced by the original calibers and the modern calibers.  It clearly shows that the magnum calibers of today produce considerably more bolt thrust and therefore can't help but stress a weakly designed action.  That's not to say the action isn't safe for what it was designed for but even newer metallurgical technology isn't going to make up for the basic weaknesses of the design.

I'm not knocking the '73's action.  As I said, I have a '73 in 45 Colt as well as a '66 also in 45 Colt along with 2 Rossi '92 style action levers in 357mag.  I understand the strengths and limitations of both designs and cherish the toggle linked '66 and '73 for their speed and smoothness while I cherish the Rossi '92 for it's strength.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've shown this before but I think it bears revisiting.  The chart below I made up show the various bolt thrusts produced by the original calibers and the modern calibers.  It clearly shows that the magnum calibers of today produce considerably more bolt thrust and therefore can't help but stress a weakly designed action.  That's not to say the action isn't safe for what it was designed for but even newer metallurgical technology isn't going to make up for the basic weaknesses of the design.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/1873RifleBoltThrust.jpg

I'm not knocking the '73's action.  As I said, I have a '73 in 45 Colt as well as a '66 also in 45 Colt along with 2 Rossi '92 style action levers in 357mag.  I understand the strengths and limitations of both designs and cherish the toggle linked '66 and '73 for their speed and smoothness while I cherish the Rossi '92 for it's strength.

View Quote

If we accept that the originals where strong enough as designed for the .44-40 cartridge then we can prove modern metallurgy will allow the .357 to be safely fired.  According to your chart the .357 produces less than double the bolt thrust of the .44-40.  The original model 73 used a wrought iron frame.  Simply switching to 4140 steel doubles the yield strength and ultimate strength.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If we accept that the originals where strong enough as designed for the .44-40 cartridge then we can prove modern metallurgy will allow the .357 to be safely fired.  According to your chart the .357 produces less than double the bolt thrust of the .44-40.  The original model 73 used a wrought iron frame.  Simply switching to 4140 steel doubles the yield strength and ultimate strength.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/1873RifleBoltThrust.jpg

I don't recall anybody spending much time discussing the frame strength of the 1873.   What is being discussed and debated is the strength of the toggle link action and link pins.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Contact a CASS or SASS gunsmith who regularly works on the '73 clones with modern steel and ask them how they hold up to the large number of cycles as well as the higher pressure 357mag loads they shoot during the longer distance portions.  Steve Young (AKA Nate Kiowa Jones, SASS #6765) is one such gunsmith and even though he's known for his work on the Rossis, he also does a lot of work on the Uberti '73s as they are so popular.  I talked to him on the phone at length before I got my '73 and '66 Ubertis and he is the reason I only shoot standard pressure (14,000psi) 45 Colt loads in them.  He'll tell you that even shooting puff 38spl loads, the high round counts causes the toggle links to 'oval' and the frames to stretch.  I'm not speculating or quoting metallurgy tables, I'm talking about real experience from a real gunsmith.  If you don't believe me, contact him HERE and ask him yourself.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Contact a CASS or SASS gunsmith who regularly works on the '73 clones with modern steel and ask them how they hold up to the large number of cycles as well as the higher pressure 357mag loads they shoot during the longer distance portions.  Steve Young (AKA Nate Kiowa Jones, SASS #6765) is one such gunsmith and even though he's known for his work on the Rossis, he also does a lot of work on the Uberti '73s as they are so popular.  I talked to him on the phone at length before I got my '73 and '66 Ubertis and he is the reason I only shoot standard pressure (14,000psi) 45 Colt loads in them.  He'll tell you that even shooting puff 38spl loads, the high round counts causes the toggle links to 'oval' and the frames to stretch.  I'm not speculating or quoting metallurgy tables, I'm talking about real experience from a real gunsmith.  If you don't believe me, contact him HERE and ask him yourself.
View Quote

OK, I stand a little corrected in that frame strength is involved somewhat, if not directly.  

Yes, engineering is more complicated than just doubling the material yield strength of one component and being able to say you've doubled the ultimate strength of the whole object.  

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, in this case, a toggle link.  I've seen better support against regular shooting of full magnum loads out of the toggle link action Winchesters than for, but nothing I would consider absolutely definitive.  That numerous major manufacturers make 1873s in .357 & .44 mags isn't a particularly compelling argument for as there is a long history of gun designs that ended up not holding up under long term use

I know on which side I would prefer to error.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Update in OP.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Update in OP.
View Quote

"Repair from being shot out of battery"

How did the stock get cracked? Man oh man would I be pissed.

Did the gunsmith own up to cracking the stock or was is like that before?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update in OP.

Good question, really the most important question.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 6:03:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update in OP.

I'm sure it happened during shipping. I'm trying to work out what I do next.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#33]
"....shot out of battery"   means the rifle was fired without the bolt being fully closed, which in this case would mean the lever would not have been fully retracted, which would be all but impossible on an 1873. See the little button sticking out from the lower tang that's depressed by yhe lever? That's a safety that blocks rearward movement of the trigger that must be depressed by the lever before the trigger can be pulled and the rifle fired. In order to fire a properly functioning 1873 out of battery, one would have to somehow depress the button with the lever not fully retracted, and pull the trigger at the same time. I think I'd have to get the gunsmith to show me how that rifle was fired out of battery.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:02:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
"....shot out of battery"   means the rifle was fired without the bolt being fully closed, which in this case would mean the lever would not have been fully retracted, which would be all but impossible on an 1873. See the little button sticking out from the lower tang that's depressed by yhe lever? That's a safety that blocks rearward movement of the trigger that must be depressed by the lever before the trigger can be pulled and the rifle fired. In order to fire a properly functioning 1873 out of battery, one would have to somehow depress the button with the lever not fully retracted, and pull the trigger at the same time. I think I'd have to get the gunsmith to show me how that rifle was fired out of battery.
View Quote

Unless he changed his modifications recently, Cody cuts and welds the upper part of the lever for his short-stroke, also the trigger and sear are welded together and the lever safety is removed.  Not hard to have an out of battery discharge.  Also on the cut and weld jobs the three toggle link pins are no longer in alignment.  That puts a lot of force on the pins that they were never designed to handle.  The strength in the toggle link action is the force from the bolt is directed straight through the links to the receiver.  When bolt, links and receiver are properly fitted, pins carry almost no load at all.  Short stroke kits that have replacement links and lifter arm maintain the proper geometry to safely distribute the bolt force to the receiver.

Another way to have an OOB discharge is if the firing pin return spring is lightened or removed (common on action jobs) and operator tries to force the lever closed (due to chamber obstruction or bulged case, etc.), the firing pin can impact the primer with enough force to detonate.  I have personally observed that happening.  Never force a lever closed on an Uberti '73.

I have rifles and carbines in .45 Colt and 38 WCF that I have used in competition since 1994, all have Pioneer Gun Works or Cowboy and Indian's shop short stroke kits.  Properly fitted and tuned, collectively a couple hundred thousand rounds downrange, and plenty of dry-firing, and only parts I have worn out are extractors.  No mouse fart loads either.

Usual damage from OOB discharge is a bent lever, and sometimes extractor.  Uberti levers are soft, you can sometimes bend them back once, and if you don't have any more problems or force it closed, it will last a while, but usually it bends again soon after.  Replace the lever or after bending it back have it re-heat treated.  Extractors are a consumable on '66's and '73's, always keep spares handy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Unless he changed his modifications recently, Cody cuts and welds the upper part of the lever for his short-stroke, also the trigger and sear are welded together and the lever safety is removed.  Not hard to have an out of battery discharge.  Also on the cut and weld jobs the three toggle link pins are no longer in alignment.  That puts a lot of force on the pins that they were never designed to handle.  The strength in the toggle link action is the force from the bolt is directed straight through the links to the receiver.  When bolt, links and receiver are properly fitted, pins carry almost no load at all.  Short stroke kits that have replacement links and lifter arm maintain the proper geometry to safely distribute the bolt force to the receiver.

Another way to have an OOB discharge is if the firing pin return spring is lightened or removed (common on action jobs) and operator tries to force the lever closed (due to chamber obstruction or bulged case, etc.), the firing pin can impact the primer with enough force to detonate.  I have personally observed that happening.  Never force a lever closed on an Uberti '73.

I have rifles and carbines in .45 Colt and 38 WCF that I have used in competition since 1994, all have Pioneer Gun Works or Cowboy and Indian's shop short stroke kits.  Properly fitted and tuned, collectively a couple hundred thousand rounds downrange, and plenty of dry-firing, and only parts I have worn out are extractors.  No mouse fart loads either.

Usual damage from OOB discharge is a bent lever, and sometimes extractor.  Uberti levers are soft, you can sometimes bend them back once, and if you don't have any more problems or force it closed, it will last a while, but usually it bends again soon after.  Replace the lever or after bending it back have it re-heat treated.  Extractors are a consumable on '66's and '73's, always keep spares handy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great post, thanks for the valuable information. And thanks for sharing your experience regarding the longevity of your Uberti's. The way most folks talk about them, you think they were made of balsa wood, spit and kleenex.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top