Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2016 4:31:51 PM EDT
I'm contemplating putting a tang sight on my 20" Rossi 92 in 357. Is there any downside to putting one on a pistol caliber rifle?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Some people find the grip awkward.  I shot with my thumb to the side anyways so it never bothered me.

My end goal for my 16in 357 is to have a fold down leaf for 38s up close and the tang for 357 100yd zero.

For me the longer sight radius alone makes it worth it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot with my thumb to the side.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I used Lyman for years on a B-92 in .44 when shooting cowboy matches, faster on target and it has more style than a receiver peep sight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Marbles and love it.  Buffalo Arms sells the repro Lyman side mount peep sight if you don't want to clutter up the tang.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Marbles and love it.  Buffalo Arms sells the repro Lyman side mount peep sight if you don't want to clutter up the tang.
View Quote

I really like that sight.  I had a original on a 1905 Winchester Self loading rifle and have thought about getting a repro for my 94 that is tapped for it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one on my 24" Rossi 357mag rifle and it's great for longer range shooting.  The tang when up isn't in the way at all but down it takes some getting use to.  I have a Marbles and coupled with a folding rear sight and Lyman globe front sight I have a 30" sight radius!  Add a set of Lee Shaver inserts for the Lyman globe as well as the target aperture (.042") for the tang sight and you've got a great long range shooter.  With my 158grn handloads, hitting 8" steel plates at 200yds is a breeze while hitting bowling pins is pretty easy with some practice.  Also, hitting a 11" t x18" w steel 'Ram' at 300yds is loads of fun!  (As long as it isn't windy.)

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Speaking of Lee Shaver, The Lee Shaver economy soule type sights seem to be loved by everyone i asked when i was looking to put one on a black powder rifle a bit back.
He makes a version for lever guns.

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/for-lever-action-rifles-1/
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The major advantages of the tang sight are:

1. Longer sight radius.

2. Increased depth of field due to the effect of a small aperture located relatively close to your eye.  The increased depth of field has the effect of allowing improved focus of both the front sight and the target.

3. Greater precision and accuracy than is possible with a standard semi-buckhorn or partridge sight.

4. Greater precision as well as greater range of adjustment than a barrel mounted rear sight.  

-----

However, a Soule sight is over the top for a lever gun, particularly a pistol caliber carbine or rifle, it's long, heavy, wide and screws up the lines of the rifle.  It's also about 5 times more expensive than a Marbles Standard Tang sight and gives no significant advantage in a pistol caliber lever gun.  Consequently, a more traditional Tang sight like the Marbles or Lyman No. 2 make more sense.

Generally speaking rifle pattern lever actions are pre-drilled and tapped for a tang sight, while the carbine versions normally need to have the front hole drilled and tapped for a 10-32 screw.

There are also two basic options for traditional low profile tang sights.

The Marbles Standard Tang sight or the very similar Improved Tang sight with interchangeable risers, which is adjustable in both windage and elevation.  The Marbles tang sights have .260" of adjustment over 66 clicks in elevation with 8 clicks per turn, and .004" per click, and 85 clicks in windage.  With a 24" Model 92 rifle with a 30" sight radius that gives .48" per click at 100 yards and with a 20" Model 92 with a 26" sight radius it gives .55" click at 100 yards.  Roughly speaking  1/4" per click and 2" per turn at 50 yards and 1/2" per click and 4" per turn at 100 yards.

The Lyman Number 2 is adjustable for elevation only.  It doesn't have clicks, so it's infinitely adjustable, but the only indications are hash marks on the riser, so it's easy to get a very precise zero, but it's a bit more difficult to get repeatable sight changes.  

I have Marbles Standard Tang sights on my Model 92 rifles and carbines in both .45 Colt and .357 Magnum.  I don't have any issue with the Marbles Tang rubbing on my thumb, but I have found the Lyman No 2 to be slightly uncomfortable.

You can maximize the elevation adjustment by going with a front sight of .312".  If you go with a sight height of .410", you can also set rear sight up higher to shoot over the top of the standard barrel mounted sight, or even better a folding rear sight.  That lets the shooter use the barrel mounted sight for a short range of 50-75 yards, and the tang sight can then be left zeroed for 125-150 yards.

My preference however is to just remove the barrel mounted rear sight and replace it with a slot blank as there is basically zero need to have both sights, particularly if you're using the easy to adjust Marbles sight.  

For example, with a .357 Mag launching a 158 gr bullet at a very achievable 1500 fps, the mid range trajectory with a 100 yard zero is only 2.1" high at 55 yards, so you can pretty much ignore sight adjustments out to 125 yards where you'll be abut 3" low.   Shooting at longer ranges isn't an issue as at 200 yards you'll be 10.5 MOA and 10-11 clicks low.

The .44 Magnum and .45 Colt aren't much different as with a 240-250 gr bullet at a similar 1500 fps, you'll have a nearly identical trajectory due to very similar BCs.

In short, if you set it up properly there is no downside to a Marbles Standard Tang sight.

If you're seeking really long range shooting, you can go with the the Marbles Improved Tang sight, which offers interchangeable mid range and long range risers in addition to the short and standard height risers.

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, there is. I have a Rossie 92 in 357. I really don't care for the buckhorns on any makers levers. The difference between say a Marlin and a Rossie is that the Buckhorn folds down on a Marlin but not a Rossie. Normally I go with a Williams peep sight on Marlins but went with a Marbles tang on a Rossie 92. First off, the original screw (one) on the tang had a different thread then the Marbels supplied ones. I sent it back and got the same size ones back. I said the hell with it and re-tapped the tang. Bored the second hole and tapped it also. I put on the sight but now the unfolding buckhorn is in the way. Called Steves for a replacement front and rear sight. Front for a beaded front, rear for a fold down. Why both a fold down and a tang? Because I wanted the Buckhorn for up close to about 75 yards. I wanted the tang for 75 to about 125. Sounded good at the moment. The rear sight dovetail fits like shit and I ended up removing it entirely. I'll probably just get a plug for the barrel. Besides all that, a folded down tang is awful on the webbing between thumb and forefinger. Would I ever go tang again? Nope. Peeps are so much better. As a side note, this is the only one in my collectoin I'd be willing to part with. Just to get it off my shoe.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a tang peep on my 16" 92. Its off now.

I prefe peeps over buckhorn sights 99% of the time. A .45 carbine is the 1%. I do have a XS front stripe front sight on it which helps speeds things up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top