Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2015 5:30:29 PM EDT
So I've got about $500 in gift cards to cabelas and am contemplating buying a Marlin 1895. I have always wanted a 45-70 rifle and am thinking I might go for either the regular 1895 or the guide gun. Is there anything I should know before buying? I have read that quality has gone down a little after Marlin was bought by remington, but I don't have much of a choice than to buy a new one over the used.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the guide gun and it's awesome ,especially if you reload.It really is a lot of fun.

Just yesterday I was in Dicks sporting goods and looked over a 1894 44mag and they also had a 1895 and they looked good next to what they had been putting out since Remlin took over.

The wood looks a little dull next to my JM's, but the wood to metal finish was right up there with the ones I own.

I have been watching marlins through these years since the takeover and right now the ones I looked at yesterday were at a point that I would consider buying one.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I have shot them both and own the ported G gun.  Wish it wasn't ported, but it works well on elk.  Just too obnoxious at the range with overhead cover.  Either one is good, the sights are pretty crappy for me, but I run a 2x leop. On a short pic rail I installed....when it snows I pull the optic and run the irons.

I have heard about QC issues with the remlin made guns, but that could be Internet bs.  Mine was made by marlin pre Remington .  Great shooter and very light and handy.   The full size did seem to be a bit easier on the shoulder, but I only shot it with the irons, so I was getting better hits with my 2x scope.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have shot them both and own the ported G gun.  Wish it wasn't ported, but it works well on elk.  Just too obnoxious at the range with overhead cover.  Either one is good, the sights are pretty crappy for me, but I run a 2x leop. On a short pic rail I installed....when it snows I pull the optic and run the irons.

I have heard about QC issues with the remlin made guns, but that could be Internet bs.  Mine was made by marlin pre Remington .  Great shooter and very light and handy.   The full size did seem to be a bit easier on the shoulder, but I only shot it with the irons, so I was getting better hits with my 2x scope.
View Quote

DVCER that was no internet BS ,the Remington guns were so bad they couldn't even fix them and were giving customers back their money.

Guns with cracked receiver's ,canted sights,no rifling and falling apart before they were even shot. it's been 6 years since the buy out and they are just starting to get there shit together.  For way more info if you guys are interested go to ....http://www.marlinowners.com/
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Other than the crappy pressed checkering,the mechanics of the 2015 Marlins seems to be pretty good. I think I'm going to order a new 1895 GBL this week and send it to Ranger Point Precision for a custom build.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the advice! I do reload and cast my own boolits so it will actually end up being a pretty cheap caliber to shoot once I get setup with brass. I am liking the 1895gbl but I am not sure how I like the laminate wood. I usually prefer walnut
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the advice! I do reload and cast my own boolits so it will actually end up being a pretty cheap caliber to shoot once I get setup with brass. I am liking the 1895gbl but I am not sure how I like the laminate wood. I usually prefer walnut
View Quote

It's not that hard to find walnut stocks for a Marlin.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Stocks seem to be readily available on gunbroker, and ebay, but........they are mostly the very crappy pressed checkering Remlin versions. and I mean CRAP! Pre-Remington will come at a premium. I had to send my 1895GS back 3 times, and they finally replaced it with a new one. The wood on the new one was still garbage, but at least the machining was better. I ended up replacing the stock. Don't buy one sight unseen, period! More than likely the wood will be crap, with gaps on most everyone you look at. Some will say that they are better now, but most are still junk. The stock fitment is getting better, but in my eyes, it still has a ways to go. And eff that ugly ass, cheap, pressed checkering lol.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I see that Marlin is selling an 18 inch octagon barrel version of the 1895. The 1895 CBA.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/cowboy-rifles/144448-1895-cba.html

This is the one I'd get. But look it over carefully for canted sights, poor wood to metal fit, poor machining, rough action, etc.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#9]
You don't have to buy new at Cabela's.  I've bought a nice classic 1945 made Winchester model 94 and a Marlin model 36 that hasn't been made in decades from their gun library.  If you find one at another location they will ship it to your store and you can check it out before committing.  The risk is you pay the shipping.

Some are priced too high but not everything.  Also, prices are negotiable.  And sometimes they price it too low.

See "Search the Gun Library" in the middle of the page.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I, too, would cruise Cabela's, waiting for a good, used JM Marlin.  You see them there pretty regularly.  If I'm not mistaken, they'll ship guns from other stores to your location.

Get a Marlin.  Guide guns are really nice, but, as has already been said, the ported ones are too obnoxious to shoot.  I never had any sense the ports helped much with the recoil on the one I had.  I now have an 18" octagon and it is the best of all worlds.  

I have four 1895 marlins in 45-70 and every one of them is a tack driver.  You absolutely must hand load to get the potential of this gun/cartridge combination.

Don't buy a Remlin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I see that Marlin is selling an 18 inch octagon barrel version of the 1895. The 1895 CBA.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/cowboy-rifles/144448-1895-cba.html

This is the one I'd get. But look it over carefully for canted sights, poor wood to metal fit, poor machining, rough action, etc.

View Quote
I got one from Gallery of Guns and it is a beauty. Works great. Shoots great.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a 1895 SBL in 2015 and the fit and finish is great and shoots just fine, none of the horror stories I read about AFTER I bought it.

That really scared me, I went over it a hundred times and found nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Just purchased an 1895G made 12/15 and have absolutely no complaints

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 22 inch version . I reload and love the gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top