Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2015 9:38:40 PM EDT
just got my new to me 1894 and while its in really good shape, the action is really sticky particularly when its almost closed it really hangs up on something and i figured a full strip and polish will help this. i ordered some flitz metal polish and got some 600 grit sandpaper but not sure what material to use with the polishing paste. buffing wheel? old clean rag? what suggestions do you have? also areas of concentration would be helpful?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't polish anything at first,I'd strip, clean and lube first. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks ill give it a shot.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably has a burr or a tight spot.   Try a good strip and clean then sit in front of the tv and work the action until it smooths up.   Check the web for tuning tips and Marlinowners.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The "hitch" at the end of the cycle is the lever detent ball that keeps the lever closed.  This is always the first modification I do to any Marlin.  Using a safety pin -- the pin in the lever is really, really small -- drive out the pin that holds the ball and spring.  Remove 1 1/2 to two coils of the spring and reassemble.  The lever will still stay closed, but it will greatly improve cycling.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#5]
A lighter hammer spring will help.  Polish the surface where the hammer rides on the bolt during cycling.  This is where you get the most bang for the buck.  Also polish the top and bottom of the bolt.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:36:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top