Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2015 1:45:04 AM EDT
I prefer everything about the 94 except for the fact that its a PITA to load compared to the 336. Is there an way a 94 can be modified to where the entire round can be pushed past the gate and topped off like the Marlin?
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 3:03:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you're doing it wrong. I have a 94 in 357, and at first I thought I couldn't top it off. At least with mine, it can. Instead of pushing the round at the front edge of the loading gate, try pushing the round against the back end of the gate, pressing down as you slide it forward toward the gate opening. This works for me perfectly.

But if that doesn't work, go over to homesteadparts.com and buy a new loading gate. When you get it, look at the back and you will see a rib along the back of the gate. It has a sharp edge that catches on the back of the round. You will have to polish that  a bit so it can push past the last round in the magazine.

Here is a link to a discussion with a picture of the finished product.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#2]
the only winchesters I have had that would not top up had worn loading gates. they are easy to replace
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the only winchesters I have had that would not top up had worn loading gates. they are easy to replace
View Quote

I bought this one pre-owned but unfired so wear is definitely not the issue. I can top it off but it's a two handed affair of pressing the loading gate down with one thumb and cramming the round in with the other. It's caused by the way the rim of the last loaded round slips back behind the front edge of the loading gate.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#4]
After loading and cycling the Winchester about 500 times today I've come to the conclusion that it just needed to be broken in. It was still tight since it was basically a new gun but it's much easier to load now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After loading and cycling the Winchester about 500 times today I've come to the conclusion that it just needed to be broken in. It was still tight since it was basically a new gun but it's much easier to load now.
View Quote

When loading the mag tube push the cartridge about 90% of the way into the port with your fingers, then use the next cartridge you are going to load to push that round the rest of the way in (and start that next round in 90% of the way and and repeat).

Try it, you'll see/feel why that method is a little easier than letting the gate snap shut on every round.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When loading the mag tube push the cartridge about 90% of the way into the port with your fingers, then use the next cartridge you are going to load to push that round the rest of the way in (and start that next round in 90% of the way and and repeat).

Try it, you'll see/feel why that method is a little easier than letting the gate snap shut on every round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Plus I use my left hand to cradle the rifle and my lower fingers to secure the rounds in the loading gate while I grab a new round

I use this on my 92 as well. Sometimes the tension of the mag spring will pop the round out of the loading port.
Also I have fat fingers and use my pinkie to set the final round. It's the only finger that will fit in the Port
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Try smoothing up the edges on the parts and port.   You can probably shorten up the magspring a bit.   Look for some 1894 tuning tips on the web.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:53:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I bought this one pre-owned but unfired so wear is definitely not the issue. I can top it off but it's a two handed affair of pressing the loading gate down with one thumb and cramming the round in with the other. It's caused by the way the rim of the last loaded round slips back behind the front edge of the loading gate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have this same problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top