Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2015 9:05:41 PM EDT
I received advice in GD to look for a Marlin 336 with a JM stamp since I knew nothing about lever actions, and it led me to this.  I checked out several pawn shops for older Marlins and Winchesters, and eventually stumbled onto this.  I found her at Value Pawn on my way home for $300.  It's a 1983 Marlin 30AS in .30-30.  She has a buttery smooth action, and is in great shape.  Very light surface rust on the barrel exterior in some spots which will clean up pretty easily, and a beautiful bore.  It came with a Tasco scope and cheap mounts, so they will be going away soon, but I like the old leather sling, so it gets to stay.

I've very excited about this rifle.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good. I like lever actions. The 336 is a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
That was a good buy - most of the time the ones I see start at around $350 minimum for a JM stamped one.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That was a good buy - most of the time the ones I see start at around $350 minimum for a JM stamped one.
View Quote

I hit about a dozen pawn shops since it's nearly impossible to find a fair priced older lever action at the local gun shops.  The only other Marlin with a JM stamp I found was a 336 that was rusty, pitted up for $550.  There was no way I was going to touch that piece of shit.  I was really worried about the price since I never even heard about the Marlin 30 series, but it looks like I definitely didn't take an ass raping on it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good Mf! Lever action is a ton of fun, enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Saw that thread, very nice!  You have chosen...wisely.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I like it

I have a Williams peep on my Win.  

I've never been a fan of scoped leveraction.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Very good find at that price! All 3 of my Marlins have the forend cap instead of the barrel band and its said they tend to be
more accurate. I just like the looks more. Do get rid of that funky scope mount though!. You can't get a good cheekweld
with it set so high. I did put a slim, compact 2.5 x scope on one of mine, the other 2 have Skinner and XO peeps.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Very good find at that price! All 3 of my Marlins have the forend cap instead of the barrel band and its said they tend to be
more accurate. I just like the looks more. Do get rid of that funky scope mount though!. You can't get a good cheekweld
with it set so high. I did put a slim, compact 2.5 x scope on one of mine, the other 2 have Skinner and XO peeps.
View Quote

I can't achieve cheekweld at all with this scope.  I have no idea how the previous owner was able to shoot using it, but the gun doesn't have a lot of wear, so it may have been a failed endeavour.  

This is going to become a truck gun, so I'm debating doing a rail and quality red dot.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]
be careful lever actions are addictive.  Before you know it you will have several.  I have a 444 with a 1.5x4.5 scope and a savage 99f in 308 with a nikon prostaff on it.  Both shoot really well but the 444 actually out shoots the 99 at 100, that gun will shoot honest sub moa at 100 yards, which is great considering how big a hole it puts in the paper.  I also have my brothers 336 and since he lives 8 hours away its basically mine!  It also shoots well but not like the other two.  Still well enough that I have killed 5 deer with it.  444 has downed a black bear the savage 99 has never seen blood at least by me, I just got it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out this thread mine is on page two, if you look scope  rings are set up different

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_47/448825_Scopes_on_lever_guns.html&page=1

Good Luck
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I can't achieve cheekweld at all with this scope.  I have no idea how the previous owner was able to shoot using it, but the gun doesn't have a lot of wear, so it may have been a failed endeavour.  

This is going to become a truck gun, so I'm debating doing a rail and quality red dot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would start with the XS Lever Rail,  that way you can start off with the peep sights built in and see how you like them.   I did on my guide gun and never went any further,  but still have the rail if I wanted to add a red dot or scout scope in the future.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would start with the XS Lever Rail,  that way you can start off with the peep sights built in and see how you like them.   I did on my guide gun and never went any further,  but still have the rail if I wanted to add a red dot or scout scope in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was looking at the XS Rail.  I love the looks, and installation looks pretty simple.  I have to order a different model than the 336 one though, because the front sight is dovetailed into the barrel, and no one but XS and Adorama appear to carry it, so I'm going to wait a sale.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#14]
You scored big time, enjoy your lever gun

My first was a 44 mag marlin, added a 45-70 (thumper).

357 and 30-30 are on the wish list.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Picked this one up for $140!  Of course it didn't look like this when I got. It was pretty beat up and rusty.

" />
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Oops, double post
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Picked this one up for $140!  Of course it didn't look like this when I got. It was pretty beat up and rusty.

http://<a href=http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u449/franktrammell/CAM00079-1.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Did you have it parkerized?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u449/franktrammell/CAM00079-1.jpg</a>" />

No, I did cold blue on it.  I want to do a parked job one day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top