Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2015 6:42:35 PM EDT
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a new Marlin 336 in 30-30 (Made in 2015).

I loaded the gun up and cycled cartridges through the gun numerous times. While doing so, I encountered a problem. The majority of the time when I cycle the lever....the next cartridge is not always released from the tubular mag. The gun does not jam, you can still cycle the lever, however the next cartridge does not feed/release from the tubular mag into the carrier.

I have to cycle the lever anywhere from 2-10 times to get the next cartridge to release from the mag and feed into the carrier. I am at a loss for what would cause this.

Is it possible the cartridge is getting caught on the carrier?

Here are some pics I took:

Anyone have any ideas on what would cause this?

I would like to avoid the hassle of sending this back to Marlin/Remington if it's something simple.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Disassemble sufficiently to find part set that operates the release.

Clean up the area that is binding the carrier.

Marlin bolt guns are incredibly simple machines.
You can fix this yourself if you own a set of screwdrivers and a file.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Magazine spring would be easiest to start with.  I'd clean it and tube with a patch so the cartridges have full pressure and not slowed by any burr or oil,grease.  Don't gorilla arm the lever but don't be to gentle either, open it firm at the end of it's stroke, that will move the lift down out of the way for a fresh cartridge to be shoved out of the tube.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Magazine spring would be easiest to start with.  I'd clean it and tube with a patch so the cartridges have full pressure and not slowed by any burr or oil,grease.  Don't gorilla arm the lever but don't be to gentle either, open it firm at the end of it's stroke, that will move the lift down out of the way for a fresh cartridge to be shoved out of the tube.
View Quote

Hi thanks for the reply.

I replaced the mag spring and cleaned the tube...still a no go. I also tried variable speed and force while cycling the lever and still it fails to release the cartridge from the mag tube....I'm at a loss.

From the pics I posted above....in your opinion does it look normal? i.e. is the carrier supposed to catch the lip of the cartridge like that?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
open lever all the way and push down on the lifter, it may be a tight fit there. You may have to work the lever back and forth an inch or so. That could be the tight fit causing the problem.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#5]
To be honest my experiance with the Marlin lever was with a friends that was in a house fire.  He let me see what I could do with it. I bought The Complete Marlin Rifle video to aid in disassembly and it was a great aid for it's instruction and information on how all the pats worked together. Done by Larry Crow Master gunsmith from competition gunworks. With it I was able to bring back to life a Model 36, roughly made in 1942.  My guess is either excess oil,grease and gummed up, or a burr somewhere . But its not to tough to take it apart and clean it, and reassemble.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Disassemble sufficiently to find part set that operates the release.

Clean up the area that is binding the carrier.

Marlin bolt guns are incredibly simple machines.
You can fix this yourself if you own a set of screwdrivers and a file.
View Quote

Thanks! This is exactly what I ended up doing.

Less than a minute on the Dremel and file to the carrier (the top left area of the carrier, where the casing was getting stuck on in the pics I posted) and a little polishing the Marlin now cycles flawlessly.

I figured I had nothing to lose by filing/dremeling the top left part of the carrier b/c the carrier is around $50-$60. So if I messed up or it didn't work I could just order a replacement.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats good news,  now if I could find a lever gun for myself.  Glad to hear back that all is well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I loves me some resurrected Marlin.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
nice,  My buddy handed me charcoal. And part of a rug melted to the reciever. He was all bummed because his father gave it to him. I put it all back together with new wood,marlin bullseye,etc    I gave it back to him and he was just ecstatic,  but I told him it ought to get looked at because of the heat and it may be dangerous to shoot. All the springs were good though. Well one day he called me thanking me again and he was at the range shooting it and his new girlfriend just loved it.             Been looking for a lever gun ever since for myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top