Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2015 9:37:01 PM EDT
I'm looking for a good used lever, especially after hearing the issues of the new ones. Prefer either. 357 off 30-30, being an off the shelf caliber (I don't reload, at least not yet).

What do I need to look for in these rifles? I read a lot about the safety, what about those do I need to avoid, just all of them? What about Marlins vs Rossi's vs Winchester?

Around the house gun, field gun, defense \truck gun kiind of things I am needing from it.?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:00:25 AM EDT
[#1]
With all of the good Marlin/crappy Marlin, Rossi, etc. opinions going around I decided to try and find an old Winchester (like the one I had in HS).

Amazingly, there are regularly a lot of old Winchesters, often NIB, on Gunbroker.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I am far from a expert

Far

I look and make sure the bore isn't horrid,  feels mechanically sound.  No obvious faults like crooked sights or barrel.

I don discount minor bubba work as long as its not a safety hazard.

Also pick up a few dummy rounds to try in the gun

Most shops should be OK with it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#3]
One thing I always look for in any used firearm is boogered up screws. If the person taking it apart didn't know to use the correct screwdriver they probably did not know what they were doing when they had it apart.

Pass.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I always look for used guns that look brand new or almost brand new.
If it looks old and like a pos I pass. If you collect old guns then it's a different story.I don't collect old guns.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With all of the good Marlin/crappy Marlin, Rossi, etc. opinions going around I decided to try and find an old Winchester (like the one I had in HS).

Amazingly, there are regularly a lot of old Winchesters, often NIB, on Gunbroker.

Good luck!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good luck!

I have been looking on GB, never used it before to buy, just research. I am going to register as there are a few good looking ones there.
Quoted:
One thing I always look for in any used firearm is boogered up screws. If the person taking it apart didn't know to use the correct screwdriver they probably did not know what they were doing when they had it apart.

Pass.

Cars and guns alike.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I was looking for a Marlin 44 mag for over a year and saw a bunch of turds,one I found looked great until the guy selling it at a gun show told me how he gave the gun a great action job and how Smooth it was .....Passed !

Found one at a local gun show not to long after, just about brand new with the box for $495 about four years back.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I just went in finger Marlin 30 30, JM stamped barrel. It was at the Gander Mountain here in town, and out the door would be about 360. Really hoping to spend a bit less, but I know these are good guns. Gun overall was in decent shape good blowing in stock looks rather bright. Some wear  Mark of course.  Is that a good price or should I keep in mind but keep looking?
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I just went in finger Marlin 30 30, JM stamped barrel. It was at the Gander Mountain here in town, and out the door would be about 360. Really hoping to spend a bit less, but I know these are good guns. Gun overall was in decent shape good blowing in stock looks rather bright. Some wear  Mark of course.  Is that a good price or should I keep in mind but keep looking?
View Quote

Do you have any gun shows coming up ? Go take a look and wait outside also so if you see some lever rifles being brought in to the show try to be discrete and make an offer.

I bought a Marlin 336W for $200.00 doing just that. The rifle was like brand new that the guy bought for his daughter and she didn't want to shoot it and had less then a box of ammo through it.

You can find deals at big shows but the small local "Fudd" shows are the real place to look. If you want the rifle right now then it's going to be buy what you see at the time or take your time and look at some gun shows. Just my opinion.

Here's a pic of my 44,it took me close to a year and a half to find one in the condition and at a price that I would pay.

I have a lot of patience and will wait ,I know a lot of people would not wait as long as I did.

The scope was added after I bought the rifle. (Edit ...The $200.00 336W was sold to a friend for his son's 11th birthday present for what I bought it for.)

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I enjoy buying beater lever action Winchesters. Big thing to watch for is worn muzzles from improper cleaning. After that look at the bolt face for a flared out firing pin hole. If you dry fire them it tends to damage the bolt face like that and it will cause the action to close hard on a round because the protrusion indents into the primer a bit when you close the bolt. It can be fixed but requires disassembly and some skill to flatten the bolt face with a punch.

Otherwise used lever guns are usually just filthy inside.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:40:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

$360 OTD is a decent price for a 336 in good condition. I'm a fan of the Marlins because they are simple and rugged. You used to be able to get like new used ones for under $325 but since Remington screwed up the newer stuff the old ones have been bringing a premium. The last two 336s I've bought cost me $365 and $465(I think). The cheaper one I bought privately and it had an after market front sight and WWG happy trigger which was about $100 worth of extras, this gun was in really nice condition. The more expensive one was a late '80's 336 that was unfired, I bought this one off GB and was a little more than I wanted to spend but I couldn't pass it up since it was in pristine condition and the few I was finding locally were well used and the same money.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

$360 OTD is a decent price for a 336 in good condition. I'm a fan of the Marlins because they are simple and rugged. You used to be able to get like new used ones for under $325 but since Remington screwed up the newer stuff the old ones have been bringing a premium. The last two 336s I've bought cost me $365 and $465(I think). The cheaper one I bought privately and it had an after market front sight and WWG happy trigger which was about $100 worth of extras, this gun was in really nice condition. The more expensive one was a late '80's 336 that was unfired, I bought this one off GB and was a little more than I wanted to spend but I couldn't pass it up since it was in pristine condition and the few I was finding locally were well used and the same money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I am going to look at it again tomorrow, have not had much time this week to think about it. I think if I can get them to 350 otd then I will fo.

I would love to have a few more, one for the trucks, being they are so small and light.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Check the firing pin. Have found a couple in Pawn shops broken.  Probably a lot of dry firing?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top