Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2015 7:36:26 AM EDT
Ive been drooling over a 45 Colt lever gun and have about given up on finding a Marlin in stainless.
So now I'm looking at Rossi I've seen some 16" barrel guns but no 20".
I understand that the 20" is better balanced and comes up to shoulder better? Anyone have both a 16" and a 20"?
I'm looking at this gunhttp://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=498659016
I like octagon barrel's just don't want a 24 so the cut down looks like a perfect compromise.
thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 16" in 45 colt. It is the most fun little rifle I've ever shot. Only use it for paper or cans, but it is a blast. Shoots very softly with standard ammo. It's so small and light it feels like a toy.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 16" in 45 colt. It is the most fun little rifle I've ever shot. Only use it for paper or cans, but it is a blast. Shoots very softly with standard ammo. It's so small and light it feels like a toy.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w498/jpreilly/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscyjizvaa.jpg
View Quote

I've handed the same one and I'm liking yours
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have rossi's in both 16" and 20", but honestly can't say which would balance better in the .45LC caliber. My .454/.45LC is 20", and balances fine. My 16's are .357 and .44, and they balance great also, but they're smaller framed than the .454 is, so it's not an exact comparison. I can say for certain that the shorter 16" barrels are substantially more woods- and thicket-friendly. In your situation, I'd factor my environment fairly heavily into the equation. If I'm on a horse or four-wheeler, either length is fine. If woods-walking, the 16" is more maneuverable & nimble.

That said, fwiw the 20" gun shoots the Barnes .45LC 200-grain SCHP at a measured average 1,301fps, or 751 ft/lbs of muzzle energy; and that's not even a Plus-P loading. An 1892 in .45LC can be an extremely capable game getter with full power loads, and at the same time an extremely mild shooter with light loads.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have rossi's in both 16" and 20", but honestly can't say which would balance better in the .45LC caliber. My .454/.45LC is 20", and balances fine. My 16's are .357 and .44, and they balance great also, but they're smaller framed than the .454 is, so it's not an exact comparison. I can say for certain that the shorter 16" barrels are substantially more woods- and thicket-friendly. In your situation, I'd factor my environment fairly heavily into the equation. If I'm on a horse or four-wheeler, either length is fine. If woods-walking, the 16" is more maneuverable & nimble.

That said, fwiw the 20" gun shoots the Barnes .45LC 200-grain SCHP at a measured average 1,301fps, or 751 ft/lbs of muzzle energy; and that's not even a Plus-P loading. An 1892 in .45LC can be an extremely capable game getter with full power loads, and at the same time an extremely mild shooter with light loads.
View Quote

Please explain your frame comment. All Rossi 92 series rifles have the same sized receivers. The 454 rifles have a different magazine tube arrangement but the receiver, bolt, and locking lugs are the same size in all calibers, or so I thought?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#5]
There are two different stocks with slightly different lengths of pull.  The "rifle" is longer than the "carbine".  The difference is very small(under and inch), and the buttplate is also shaped differently.  On rossi's website it looks like all the octagon barrel rifles have the longer stock and the round barrel models have the shorter.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The 16" and 20" Rossi's have the exact same stock unless you are talking about the Casull's. They have a recoil pad. The only stocks that use a different butt plate are the 24" Octagonal barreled rifles.

Stocks and frames are not the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:46:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a pair of Rossi trappers (16") and a pair of Browning 92s that are 20 inchers.

The Brownings are prettier, but the Rossi's are more handy, and more accurate.

I'd say it's 100% personal preference.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Please explain your frame comment. All Rossi 92 series rifles have the same sized receivers. The 454 rifles have a different magazine tube arrangement but the receiver, bolt, and locking lugs are the same size in all calibers, or so I thought?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you're correct. I said it wrong - the actual frame (ie, receiver/lever) of the gun is identical in size, but pretty much everything else on the .454 version is larger. The tube is not only substantially larger in diameter, but so is all the wood furniture on it, for whatever totally unnecessary reasons. The wood of the forend is both wider and more blocky in feel on the .454 version. Same with the buttstock. Besides the extra length of the recoil pad, it's also wider and blockier than the .357 and .44 guns as well.

My .357 and .44 are the old Interarms versions, while my .454 is a newer-manufacture LSI (probably 2010..?) with the moronic rotating safety on it. So it may well be that the differences stem from them being different generations of the 'Puma' series, actually coming from different manufacturers as I understand it. If that's the case, then it may be that the new ones all have the bigger, blockier furniture on them. If that's the case, then my earlier comments may all go out the window; I don't know.

But you're absolutely right - the actual 'frame' (receiver) is the same size across the all three calibers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#9]
The 20" are a bit harder to find since they're preferred by cowboy action shooters for their 10+1 capacity (really more like 11+1). The 16" bbl doesn't hold enough in the magazine for most courses of fire in cowboy action.
I only have the 20" carbine (round) barrel, FWIW, and it's still extremely handy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the feedback folks. I'm still on the fence.
I've been eyeing one at Academy Sports 16" blued, I've yet to lay eyes on a stainless which is what I really want.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive got a 16" blued rossi thats about 10 years old. It HAMMERS deer. I love still hunting swamps with .

Its fast tothe shoulder and follow up shots are unbelievably fast. Ive only needed one follow up shot to date.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ive got a 16" blued rossi thats about 10 years old. It HAMMERS deer. I love still hunting swamps with .

Its fast tothe shoulder and follow up shots are unbelievably fast. Ive only needed one follow up shot to date.
View Quote

What load / ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lasercast 250gr swc over 18grains 2400. They work in my handguns too.

Ive also used buffalo bores 250 grain swc at 1000fps but my handloads a arecheaper
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I have both a 20" and 24" Rossi, however, mine are in 357mag but I find that the 24" 'hangs' better when sighting while the 20" balances better when carried.  I've tried the 16" and I don't like the balance at all of it.   That's my opinion and you'll have to decide what's best for you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#15]
You do realize they make a 20 inch octagonal barrel  version right?
It is also drilled and tapped for a tang sight like the 24 inch barrel version.
I plan on getting the Rossi 92 with the 24 inch octagonal barrel in 45 colt.

http://www.kygunco.com/rossi-m92-45-colt-blue-case-hardened-101-20-octagonal-barrel-r92-52203-27102
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

They only make the 20 inch octagon in 357 now.  They dropped the 44 and 45 for this year.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They only make the 20 inch octagon in 357 now.  They dropped the 44 and 45 for this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF! I wanted to buy one after I got the 24 inch!
Where did you hear this from?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have both a 20" and 24" Rossi, however, mine are in 357mag but I find that the 24" 'hangs' better when sighting while the 20" balances better when carried.  I've tried the 16" and I don't like the balance at all of it.   That's my opinion and you'll have to decide what's best for you.
View Quote

Thing is I'm only seeing the 16" in the wild.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's what their 2015 catalog says.  Catalog is on their website.

I looked for one in 44 earlier this year and I can confirm they are not available anywhere I looked.  I went with a new 1894 instead.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I looked for one in 44 earlier this year and I can confirm they are not available anywhere I looked.  I went with a new 1894 instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those idiots!!! I wanted at least a 20 inch 44mag as a truck gun at minimum. But I wanted a 24 inch and a 20
octagonal barrel in all three calibers. Funny think was that when the 20 inch ones were in stock the 24 inch
version were cheaper. I guess I will just have to buy a 24 inch 44 mag and have it cut down to 16 inches.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Those idiots!!! I wanted at least a 20 inch 44mag as a truck gun at minimum. But I wanted a 24 inch and a 20
octagonal barrel in all three calibers. Funny think was that when the 20 inch ones were in stock the 24 inch
version were cheaper. I guess I will just have to buy a 24 inch 44 mag and have it cut down to 16 inches.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the reason I'm looking at the one on gunbroker. Johnnie Meadows is a gunsmith who slicks up Rossi'es for cowboy action shooters and he also does cutdowns the one I'm looking at is $670 cut down and slicked up I figure that's not too bad a price for the base gun + work. It includes stainless follower and safeplugged.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am i missing something here? This is the 92 page from the Rossi 2015 catalog.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't worry too much about that catalog.  It was apparently done by the Taurus customer service department.

According to the catalog, the 454 is available only n 20 inch stainless, and isn't on the spec chart at all.

But 16 and 20 inchers in blue and stainless are all over gunbroker.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's the reason I'm looking at the one on gunbroker. Johnnie Meadows is a gunsmith who slicks up Rossi'es for cowboy action shooters and he also does cutdowns the one I'm looking at is $670 cut down and slicked up I figure that's not too bad a price for the base gun + work. It includes stainless follower and safeplugged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does Johnnie Meadow have a website? If not can you pm me his contact info because all I know of
is Steve Gunz.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w498/jpreilly/Pages%20from%202015_rossi_catalog_zpssh0tw5q4.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w498/jpreilly/Pages%20from%202015_rossi_catalog_zpssh0tw5q4.jpg

What you are missing is what I was missing. We are looking for a octagonal 20 inch version of the Rossi M92.
The only 20 inch octagonal that Rossi is showing they make anymore is the 357 mag version. Item# R92-51203.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What you are missing is what I was missing. We are looking for a octagonal 20 inch version of the Rossi M92.
The only 20 inch octagonal that Rossi is showing they make anymore is the 357 mag version. Item# R92-51203.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok I see. I guess I misread. I thought you were looking for a 24"
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Now I am stuck getting a 24 inch model only.
O well. It is not that bad because I wanted a 24 inch 45 colt any way.
But I also wanted to get a 20 inch 44 magnum for a truck gun. I now I am
going to get a 24 inch 44 magnum and have It cut down to 16 inches.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I've got all three lengths and I prefer the 20". I have a hard time with the sights radius on the 16" version. The last one I purchased was a .45 stainless octagon with a 24" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Does Johnnie Meadow have a website? If not can you pm me his contact info because all I know of
is Steve Gunz.

Google Camp Verde gun and repair Camp Verde Az.
When looking at Rossi M92's on gunbroker look for action jobs by Johnnie Meadows, that's him.
He has  excellent feedback.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#30]

is Steve Gunz.

When looking at Rossi M92's on gunbroker look for action jobs by Johnnie Meadows, that's him.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

is Steve Gunz.

View Quote

Also if it shows " action Job" click on it most likely it is by Johnnie Meadows, ( his cowboy name).
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Also if it shows " action Job" click on it most likely it is by Johnnie Meadows, ( his cowboy name).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

is Steve Gunz.

Thanks for the heads up. I will contact him tomorrow to see what he has in stock.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the heads up. I will contact him tomorrow to see
what he has in stock.

Well... Did you call him? What's the lowdown?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok update.
I ordered the 20" stainless octagon.
$660 not including shipping, or C.C. fees.
Not a bad price considering it started life as a 24" barrel and it had an action job as well.
I'll update after I get it should be here Friday.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#35]
I think we're gonna need some pics of that! A SS Octagon. I want one too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ok update.
I ordered the 20" stainless octagon.
$660 not including shipping, or C.C. fees.
Not a bad price considering it started life as a 24" barrel and it had an action job as well.
I'll update after I get it should be here Friday.
View Quote

That sounds like an awesome gun. Please post the pics when you get it.

Sorry. I have been busy. I was able to get in contact with Johnny Meadow
from Camp Verde Gun and repair. He said it would be around $700 for the
gun. That would include the Rossi 92 being cut down to 16 inches and
having all of the action work he does to it being done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top