Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2015 4:24:26 AM EDT
Been thinking about getting a Chiappa takedown in 44 Mag. Has anyone laid hands on one?
I've never handled a Chiappa lever gun, so I have no idea as to quality or workmanship.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#1]
A with most things, you get what you pay for.  The ones I've seen haven't had the best fit and finish, and were a little rough while cycling.  In their defense, I've handled new Marlins (not Remlins) and Winchesters that were a bit rough.  Likely they all will smooth out with use.

I can't speak to their accuracy as I haven't had one to run through it paces.

If you can overlook what are likely just cosmetic issues their just fine.  Oh, and one I saw in a shop had better wood than what you see on most Winchester and Remlins these days.  Luck of the draw when the assembler reached into the stack to grab the stock.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Hickok 45 likes his.......I want!!

He says it's a smooth action.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hickok 45 likes his.......I want!!

He says it's a smooth action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPMS8l5QiCg
View Quote

Thanks. That was a review worth watching. Going to have to get one now. Really wanted the SIG P220 10mm, but the takedown rifle is going to come first.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#4]
You'll get a wide range of opinions as Armi-Sport (Chiappa),  Pedersoli and Uberti will all make their arms to the specifications of the importer - within certain limits.  Some importers will skimp a bit and cut corners to hit  lower price point while others will want higher grades of finish and more attention to detail.  

I have an Armi-Sport Model 92 takedown rifle with a 20" barrel in .45 Colt.  It was made for Charles Daly and is very nicely finished with excellent metal work, nicely finished wood and an action that is butter smooth.  That's not a surprise as Charles Daly was KBI's upscale brand name and they were shooting for higher quality in that brand.

If there is a downside, it's in the potential loss of accuracy from the take down design itself.  It won't shoot as accurately as my Rossi Model 92 in .45 Colt in general and it is a bot more load sensitive. It also requires some attention to detail to minimize the tolerances between the receiver and the barrel assembly.  Armi-Sport stays very close to the original Winchester design and that carries over to the take down system.   Under the fore end you'll find screws that are used to press the metal at the bottom of the holes outward to create contact points on the rear face of the cap that then bear against the front face of the receiver to take up any excess play, and over time you may need to adjust those slightly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy shit!!!!!

I want one of those Alaskan take down in 45 colt with a 16 inch barrel.

Does anyone know if it comes drilled and tapped for a rear tang sight and is
as strong as the Rossi M92. Because I want a Rossi 92 in 45 colt just so I
can run hot loads.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I want a takedown mares leg...
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a Chiappa 44 magnum 92 repro that was beautiful but was crap, don't know if it was a takedown.  Within 4 shots the mag tube would back out jamming the gun.  I took it back to Cabelas where I bought it, their gunsmith was unable to get parts so it had to go back to Italy.  It came back 6 months later with the exact same problem.  Cabela's reluctantly gave me store credit and took it back.

I have 2 Ubertis that are great, high quality rifles in every way.  I don't lump them in the same class as Chiappa.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 20" takedown Alaskan model.  It needed the lever retaining button stiffened a bit.  Gunsmith charged me like $20 for it.  Since then, nothing but fun with this gun.  Very smooth action.  No tuning required and no other issues.  I don't think it's as well made as my Miroku made Browning B92 .357.. but then, nothing is.

I got a good price on mine so would do it again in a heartbeat.  Not sure how I would feel paying full price for the Alaskan Takedown.  They may be unique with the chrome plating and rubber-over-wood construction.  That and the takedown which seems to be well designed.  I guess if you need/want these sorts of features, it's the price of admission.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top