Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2015 6:45:46 PM EDT

I can't seem to find one locally to examine

thanks for taking the time

does the rossi 92 have the "lever saftey " where you must squeeze the lever to fire the rifle
does the top mounted saftey get in the way or is it executed nicely.

How long is the lever cycle ?

over all what do you think of it?

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi, as in like using a Marlin then no, you don't have to squeeze the lever up to fire it.

Nope, the top mounted safety doesn't get in the way but it is kinda ugly. Lots of people get rid of them.

92's are design for short cartridges so the throw is short as compared to a full length like in a Marlin 336.

It's an okay, fun little thing. I have used it one hand and did pretty good as it is small (short may be a better term). I've changed mine some with Steves rear fold down buckhorn and front bead sight. I wanted to put on a tang rear, which I did, Marbles, but as the rear didn't fold down it kind of was in the way. I wanted the tang for long shots like out to 125 yards but wanted the buckhorn for quick pick-ups, close in. As for accuracy, expect the usual good enough to hunt with poa, poi that levers have. The esthetics are fine for the money. The fit and finish are good on mine and I do have some decent grains in the wood but not even close to the level of my JM's Walnut. The receiver is very strong and is the same used all the way up to their 454 cas. I got it as a companion to my 686 and for that its fine. It is ideal for a camp gun or pack rifle. I have a shoulder scabbard that fits it nicely. Don't even notice it. Not that it's in my needs but it would also make an ideal trunk gun. No magazines or tube feeding to fumble with, self contained, top off on the fly and really doesn't cause so much as a second glance vs an AK or AR. Cheap enough were you won't get dusty eyes when it gets a ding.

My action is pretty smooth but it was a bit rough, like all my others, at first. With levers, first thing I do is give them a really good cleaning and lube. Second thing I do is put on a shooting glove (Only ones I wear shooting gloves for are levers, wears on the back of my hand) put on the tube and throw it a couple thousand times. Smooths out the action a lot.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:16:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hi, as in like using a Marlin then no, you don't have to squeeze the lever up to fire it.

Nope, the top mounted safety doesn't get in the way but it is kinda ugly. Lots of people get rid of them.

92's are design for short cartridges so the throw is short as compared to a full length like in a Marlin 336.

It's an okay, fun little thing. I have used it one hand and did pretty good as it is small (short may be a better term). I've changed mine some with Steves rear fold down buckhorn and front bead sight. I wanted to put on a tang rear, which I did, Marbles, but as the rear didn't fold down it kind of was in the way. I wanted the tang for long shots like out to 125 yards but wanted the buckhorn for quick pick-ups, close in. As for accuracy, expect the usual good enough to hunt with poa, poi that levers have. The esthetics are fine for the money. The fit and finish are good on mine and I do have some decent grains in the wood but not even close to the level of my JM's Walnut. The receiver is very strong and is the same used all the way up to their 454 cas. I got it as a companion to my 686 and for that its fine. It is ideal for a camp gun or pack rifle. I have a shoulder scabbard that fits it nicely. Don't even notice it. Not that it's in my needs but it would also make an ideal trunk gun. No magazines or tube feeding to fumble with, self contained, top off on the fly and really doesn't cause so much as a second glance vs an AK or AR. Cheap enough were you won't get dusty eyes when it gets a ding.

My action is pretty smooth but it was a bit rough, like all my others, at first. With levers, first thing I do is give them a really good cleaning and lube. Second thing I do is put on a shooting glove (Only ones I wear shooting gloves for are levers, wears on the back of my hand) put on the tube and throw it a couple thousand times. Smooths out the action a lot.
View Quote

that's awesome thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:50:28 AM EDT
[#3]
What Taipan said. I'll add that I have 2 stainless trappers, a 357 and a 44. Both have been to Steve Young for an action job and removal of that stupid safety. I have or have had several other 357, 44 and 45 leverguns. Including Brownings and Marlins, the little Rossi's outshoot all of them.  John Browning designed a real winner in the model 92.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:24:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I was for some reason expecting rossi to get flamed, I am ecstatic to see 2 positive reviews/comments  I may have to pick up a 16" if I can find one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:34:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Just picked one up...had it out once.

First lever gun. I like it.

I found one with the built in rail on it. Threw a red dot on it and I don't need my f'in readers to shoot it.

Show up Friday night and you can try it out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was for some reason expecting rossi to get flamed, I am ecstatic to see 2 positive reviews/comments  I may have to pick up a 16" if I can find one.
View Quote

This is my pair, I haven't hunted with the 357 (yet). But I have popped a couple of hogs with the 44, they were both DRT.

This reminds me, I need to do a refinish on the stocks, they put a very basic finish on them from the factory.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:45:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I got one off the EE this year.

Only shot it twice and its gtg. It's a  very fun gun to shoot!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#8]
All I shoot in mine is 38 specials and it like shooting a loud 22.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#9]
We have two Rossi 92 .357's in the family.  I have a rifle with a 24" octagonal barrel.  I removed the firing pin safety and put the Steve Gunz plug in its place.  I also removed the rear open sight from the barrel and replaced it with a sight blank.  Then I mounted a Williams 5D receiver sight (not shown in the picture).  This required a higher front sight.  I like the classic lines of the longer barreled rifles and with the receiver sight it looks like the north woods deer rifles that I so admired in the '50's and '60's while I was growing up.  My 12 yr old grandson has the Rossi 92 carbine with the 16" barrel.  We put a rail on the barrel and mounted a Leupold scout scope on it.  His dad and I decided to leave the FP safety on his rifle.  After more experience and when he is much older, he can decide if it is coming off.  He loves that rifle and took a whitetail doe with it his first season in the woods.  Both rifles sport a nice deep bluing on the metal.  Both had the stock stained with no finish as they come from the factory. We left the stain in place, rubbed the stocks down with fine steel wool and applied Casey's Tru-oil finish to both guns.  I also bought spring kits and followed Steve Gunz' video instructions to smooth them out.  Both guns now have silky actions.  Very fun rifles.  Cheap to shoot with .38 special loads.  Nice little deer rifle with 158 gr JHP bullets in the .357 mag loads.

</a>" />

</a>" />
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#10]
The top safety is not well executed. It doesn't fit very well so it can be accidentally activated or deactivated but it can also stick and be difficult to intentionally rotate. You can either remove it and leave a hole, fill the hole with a blank plug, or replace it with an aperture sight. I think I'll probably do the latter for my wife's rifle.

Overall, it's a fantastic rifle for the money. Better trigger than the Marlin, too. Here's a review I wrote about it
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just picked one up...had it out once.

First lever gun. I like it.

I found one with the built in rail on it. Threw a red dot on it and I don't need my f'in readers to shoot it.

Show up Friday night and you can try it out.
View Quote

I'll be there fri I was planning on bringing my 686s any way, a chance to shoot a 92 will be awesome.  .  thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Love mine. I have blued 16-inchers in .357 and .44, and 20" stainless in .454 Casull. Only complaints were that both of the short guns tended to shoot high even with the rear elevator all the way down. Modified the elevator a little on the .44, put a scout-mounted dot on the .357, and all is good with the world.

One caution - the .454 uses a dual-tube magazine tube much like a typical .22 rimfire does, so with the .45-caliber rounds inside, it's fairly large in diameter. To get a sling mount, I had to use one intended for a 16-gauge shotgun:
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Love mine. I have blued 16-inchers in .357 and .44, and 20" stainless in .454 Casull. Only complaints were that both of the short guns tended to shoot high even with the rear elevator all the way down. Modified the elevator a little on the .44, put a scout-mounted dot on the .357, and all is good with the world.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/LE/leverguns-edited.jpg

One caution - the .454 uses a dual-tube magazine tube much like a typical .22 rimfire does, so with the .45-caliber rounds inside, it's fairly large in diameter. To get a sling mount, I had to use one intended for a 16-gauge shotgun:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/LE/Photo0913.jpg
View Quote

Where did you get that scope rail ? is it one you had to drill & tap the bbl, or a dovetail replacement one? Appreciate the info
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:Where did you get that scope rail ? is it one you had to drill & tap the bbl, or a dovetail replacement one? Appreciate the info
View Quote

It was a factory-available item that mounted (partially) using the rear sight's mounting holes, but I believe it's been discontinued for several years now. Might google up "puma rifle scout mount" or such; no idea if anyone currently makes one for them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Rossi is the only one that makes the scout scope rail that properly fits the 92 that I've seen the rossi part number is P892 careful on ebay as some try to pawn off the weaver rail as it fits the r92 it does not. If you pull your rear sight ramp out from the blade you should see the factory drilled holes for scope rail. All newer 92 I have seen have been drilled and tapped at factory. You tap out rear sight assembly from its dovetail, and attach the rail if you can find one and your gtg.
Check out rossirifleman.com , I'm a mod there and you can find out almost anything you could ever want to know on Rossi there. I know rossi usa just had some come into the country but they sold out like in an hour after they were listed. To many are in need of the mount on their rossi 92 rifles.  R92 rifles are no longer a secret anymore. Good luck on your search for your rail.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The top safety is not well executed. It doesn't fit very well so it can be accidentally activated or deactivated but it can also stick and be difficult to intentionally rotate. You can either remove it and leave a hole, fill the hole with a blank plug, or replace it with an aperture sight. I think I'll probably do the latter for my wife's rifle.

Overall, it's a fantastic rifle for the money. Better trigger than the Marlin, too. Here's a review I wrote about it
View Quote

You can remove the safety and install Steve's blanking plug in less than one minute
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had both mine (20" carbine and 24" rifle) since 2009 and each has over 4K rds through them.  In a word, they're grrrrrrrreat!!!!  These 357mas are fan favorites of everyone I take shooting and one or both go on every outing.  Best of all, as I handload, they are cheaper to shoot 158grn plated bullets with than the cheapest 22mag commercial ammo!

I did Steve's Guns tuneup using his video and parts and added the bolt safety plugs and the actions are slick, smooth, and the triggers are lighter and more crisp; actually pretty darn good for a levergun.  Further, I added new sights to the rifle as I wanted it to do long range, 300yd shooting so the tang and globe give it a 30" sight radius.  I also added a coat of WATCO Danish Oil, Medium Walnut over the top of the existing finish to give it some color and depth.  On the carbine, I added a saddle ring I had and some leather wrap to give it some pzazz.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All I shoot in mine is 38 specials and it like shooting a loud 22.
View Quote

Fun times. Warning mines was rough and didn't feed for crap. I'm handy and polished the chamber, contoured the nonexistent feedramp and cleaned up the action. Thing is super smooth and feeds everything. Sad my kids don't like it and I really don't shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine is the 16", blued version. Haven't had any issues with either .38 Specials or .357 Mag, nor have I made any modifications yet. I've been looking at the Skinner peep sight to replace the buckhorn. It is a fun rifle to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I picked up a 16" barrel version in 44 Mag.  Awesome little gun.  After 2-3 hundred round the action is slicked up nicely.  Handy in heavy brush and easy to carry all day stalking.  I am happy with mine.  The top safety on the bolt is far less intrusive than the cross bolt safety that some of the manufactures have installed.  And easier to remove if you want to.

TOP: Rossi M92 44 Mag BOTTOM: Winchester 9410 2.5 inch 410.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the stainless 16" 357. I took out the safety and replaced it with a peep the drifted out the rear sight and put in a stainless blank. I cast 158swc and use whatever pistol powder I have laying around to load 38s and 357s. My kids got me the molle scabbard with the built in machete. Quite possibly the funnest gun I own.

I had my first malfunction ever yesterday though. A 38 is stuck in the magazine as I type this so we had to top load it single shot. Just haven't had a minute to pull it apart.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the stainless 16" 357. I took out the safety and replaced it with a peep the drifted out the rear sight and put in a stainless blank. I cast 158swc and use whatever pistol powder I have laying around to load 38s and 357s. My kids got me the molle scabbard with the built in machete. Quite possibly the funnest gun I own.

I had my first malfunction ever yesterday though. A 38 is stuck in the magazine as I type this so we had to top load it single shot. Just haven't had a minute to pull it apart.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I really wish they were easier to find.  I'd love to have a 20 inch to go with my trapper.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:22:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I really wish they were easier to find.  I'd love to have a 20 inch to go with my trapper.
View Quote

http://tooeleshootingsupply.com/shop/rossi-r92-56001-357-mag-rifle-with-20-blued-round-barrel/
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is my pair, I haven't hunted with the 357 (yet). But I have popped a couple of hogs with the 44, they were both DRT.

This reminds me, I need to do a refinish on the stocks, they put a very basic finish on them from the factory.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P1020537.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P1020537.JPG

My stainless Rossi has very light, almost blonde wood.  I have had three others and all of them work very well.  The stainless is smooth enough that it doesn't need any break in or polishing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:  I really wish they were easier to find.  I'd love to have a 20 inch to go with my trapper.
View Quote

I don't know if Academy's got 20" or not.  My store has the 16" .45" Colt.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#29]
This is my .357 Mag Rossi. It's actually my favorite rifle. It's short, light, compact, a great all around gun.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is my .357 Mag Rossi. It's actually my favorite rifle. It's short, light, compact, a great all around gun.  

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zIdyKIRVxfQ/VdeHA3ZXeDI/AAAAAAAACLo/FM91MeSBw_k/s640-Ic42/image.jpg
View Quote

Very nice, where did you get the sling and all?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top