Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2015 1:55:37 AM EDT
Let me start out by saying that I have done a lot of reading in this subforum and have found a lot of useful information. I am going to be getting a 357 lever action soon. I am sure this topic has been discussed in length here. I have read variations of this discussion on other websites as well. I have pretty much settled on a Henry Big Boy, although I could probably be swayed.

Would you prefer a 16.5 inch or 20 inch barrel in 357. I understand the change in velocity is not that drastic, so you are gaining a longer sight radius and 3 extra rounds of 357 at the loss of some ease of handling. I am attracted to the shorter barrel because I want it to be handy in the woods and in the home. Can anyone who has handled both lengths comment on their preferences?

Final question: Does the Big Boy steel offer any added durability over the standard brass? I plan to shoot hot loads but I can't imagine that being a problem for either rifle. I am also concerned about corrosion resistance as I do plan to make this gun a user.

Thank you for reading!

ETA: Is modern marlin quality really as bad as people say? I really dig the stainless model they offer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:45:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't own a lever action rifle (yet), but I feel that if I were to purchase one I would opt for the carbine for versatility. If I were ranching and riding a horse (or an iron horse) I would probably go with the rifle length.

I know that Henry Rifles have a good reputation (I watch the late night infomercials with Anthony), but I think Henry puts "overlay sheet metal" over their actions, and I don't know how I feel about that.

If it were me I would be looking at Winchester or Remington.

This is JMO and as always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Henry Big Boy lever action in .357 mag early this year. It is very, very nice. Haven't shot it as much as I would like, but the action in smooth, and 38 practice ammo is pretty cheap. The fit and finish is A+++. I literally can't find one flaw on it.

I haven't formally tested the accuracy, but I was getting decent groups at 50 yards as I recall with the historically-accurate-but-not-so-accurate-buckhorn sights. I may replace them with peeps, don't know yet. It has a 20 inch barrel, and I think the minimum I would go with a 357 rifle would be 18.5. More velocity will help keep it a good deer/hog gun at close/medium ranges.

The only downside it has is that it's about 9 lbs loaded. You may or may not mind. Slings are your friend.
Would definitely recommend that rifle. Just don't get the Rossi 357.....
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a Henry Big Boy lever action in .357 mag early this year. It is very, very nice. Haven't shot it as much as I would like, but the action in smooth, and 38 practice ammo is pretty cheap. The fit and finish is A+++. I literally can't find one flaw on it.

I haven't formally tested the accuracy, but I was getting decent groups at 50 yards as I recall with the historically-accurate-but-not-so-accurate-buckhorn sights. I may replace them with peeps, don't know yet. It has a 20 inch barrel, and I think the minimum I would go with a 357 rifle would be 18.5. More velocity will help keep it a good deer/hog gun at close/medium ranges.

The only downside it has is that it's about 9 lbs loaded. You may or may not mind. Slings are your friend.
View Quote

Ok. Probably not going to get the Rossi. I want a rifle I can shoot, hunt with, and enjoy that will age with character and be with me forever. Do you think a henry will hold up well over time?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I see no reason at all that my (or any other) Henry wouldn't last for decades. It seems very well built. The brass receiver is nice and thick, the octagon barrel is a decently heavy profile, the action is robust. In my eyes it's the best lever action in 357 on the market for the quality and everything it offers.

I was looking at the Rossi but had difficulty finding good reviews. It seems most of them take gun smithing to get running correctly. Not worth the savings over the Henry.

You may have already looked into it, but for hunting deer/hogs I would recommend Buffalo Bore's 180 grain hard cast flat nose 357.
It is supposed to be loaded very hot, just under or right at 2000 FPS from a 20 inch barrel. It's mean.
In 357, I believe you want penetration; the hollow points may not penetrate adequately to reach vitals.

I would be very surprised if you weren't completely satisfied with a Big Boy, and Henry's customer service is great from what I've heard.

Just be warned that its such a good looking rifle, you may not want to shoot it when you get it!
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, and in response to your question about the steel version versus the brass version, I would imagine that if you're doing anything to damage brass, it probably wouldn't be good for steel either. But, I originally was looking at the steel version as well but could not find them ANYWHERE. I don't know if Henry still makes them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I see no reason at all that my (or any other) Henry wouldn't last for decades. It seems very well built. The brass receiver is nice and thick, the octagon barrel is a decently heavy profile, the action is robust. In my eyes it's the best lever action in 357 on the market for the quality and everything it offers.

I was looking at the Rossi but had difficulty finding good reviews. It seems most of them take gun smithing to get running correctly. Not worth the savings over the Henry.

You may have already looked into it, but for hunting deer/hogs I would recommend Buffalo Bore's 180 grain hard cast flat nose 357.
It is supposed to be loaded very hot, just under or right at 2000 FPS from a 20 inch barrel. It's mean.
In 357, I believe you want penetration; the hollow points may not penetrate adequately to reach vitals.

I would be very surprised if you weren't completely satisfied with a Big Boy, and Henry's customer service is great from what I've heard.

Just be warned that its such a good looking rifle, you may not want to shoot it when you get it!
View Quote

Yeah, I have shot that bullet out of my revolvers before. It's a good load. Does anyone have any input on carbine vs rifle length? I am not a fan of the large loop on the carbine, but it may be a little more maneuverable.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm pretty sure you can buy the regular sized lever separately and change it out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure you can buy the regular sized lever separately and change it out.
View Quote

I saw the oversize lever for sale but not the standard. Wonder if they'd change it out. Or perhaps I'd be better off going with the 20 inch anyway.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Rossi 24" Rifle and 20" Carbine, both in 357mag and both purchase in 2009.  Both have over 4,000 rds through them and both are rock solid and a ton of fun to shoot; easily family favorites for a day of fun shooting.  I handload for them both and here are my thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of each.  
First off, a 357mag levergun is an awesome choice for a number of reasons.  Besides it's low recoil and relatively low ammo costs, it's a ton of fun to shoot for the whole family. If you don't handload, you can buy 38spl and 357mag ammo in bullet weights from 90grns to 200grns.  With the added benefit of handloading your own ammo, you can shoot virtually any combination of bullet and power that suits you.  
For instance, my 158grn full power 357mag handloads are capable of shooting accurately at 300 yds.  I love to ring steel at 300 yds with a pistol rd!  Best of all, I can shoot those 158grn 357mag handloads for cheaper per box of 50 than the cheapest 22 mag ammo bought on line!  Plus I can load up a wide variety of bullet weights and power levels to suit virtually any shooting I want from mouse fart light loaded light bullets up to heavy loaded heavy bullets suitable for up to medium game (deer and hog sized animals at closer ranges of 75 - 100 yds).
First about my two Rossis.  As I said, I've got a 24" Rifle outfitted with a Lyman Globe front sight, Marbles folding rear (not shown below), and Marbles Tang sight giving me a 30" sight radius and the ability to shoot out to 300 yds at 12" steel plates.  Every time I shoot it, it puts a smile on my face.

Next, I also have a 20" Carbine which I swapped out the stock sights to more precise Marbles bead front and half buckhorn rear.  Further, I added a saddle ring and some leather wrap to fancy it up a bit.  It's light, fast to shoulder, and even with only a 16" sight radius, 8" steel plates at 150 yds are dead.

Using Steve Young's Dvd and parts, I gave both of them an action and trigger job so they run smooth as silk and have really nice triggers for a levergun.  Further, I gave each a coat of WATCO Danish Oil right over the original finish with only a slight cleaning and no sanding to add depth and color to the Brazilian wood stocks.  Below are a before and after of color difference in the carbine stock.
Before the stock looked flat and dull. It's functional but looks just blah laying there.  Not an inspiring sight at all.

After a single coat right over the stock above, the color looks rich, deep, and grabs you.  It's hard to believe it's the same stock and the rifle looks like a million bucks.

As I said above, both rifle and carbine have over 4,000 rds through each of them and both run like a top. They both have ½ cock hammers and are faithful copies of the 1892 Winchesters of old. They are very accurate and well worth the money plus a few bucks extra to slick them up using Steve's parts as they still come in at less than
?
the cost of a Japchester without it's terrible rebounding hammer and tang safety. Both are always favorites at the range and never cease to thrill everyone who shoots them.  They are simple, rugged, and bring back a part of Western history that's many times lost.  They are a good way to help introduce the young folks to the ideas and values of a time long gone and to often forgotten.
Now to the pros and cons of each from my perspective.  Mostly their strengths and weaknesses depend upon what you want the firearm to do.  If you're looking for a light, handy woods walking plinker that can take small to medium game a close distances, you might want to consider the classic carbine.  At 5lbs 14oz empty and 6lbs 5oz fully loaded with 12 rds of 357mag, it's real handy for just having a great time.  Loaded up with light weight, low power ammo, it's a great little small game shooter that's both inexpensive and fun to shoot.  However, load it up with Buffalo Bore's Heavy 357mag ammo and you've got a 158grn JSP slug traveling at 2,153fps which makes it powerful enough to take deer at up to 100-125 yds with good shooting.  With another 25 or 30 rds in you pockets, you're set for a day of hunting up close or plinking out to 150 yds in the woods for a few hours.  It's also a popular choice for CASS shooting and as a faithful reproduction of the Winchester 1892 carbine, it's a great thing to have in your collection.
If you're looking for a bit longer range and higher velocity, the rifle gives me 22 fps faster speeds over the carbine with my 158grn 357mag loads.  However, shooting lower powered 38spl, the 4" longer barrel actually slows down the bullet somewhat.   Further, the 24" rifle is drilled and taped to accept a tang mount fold up sight which increases the sight radius from 20" to 30" making it a formidable irons shooting platform.  With the included .040" target aperture installed in the tang, the aperture increases your Depth of Field (the distance where objects appear in focus) such that both the front sight and a target at 100yds are clear as a bell, even if like me, you suffer from poor eyesight.  The longer, heavier barrel seems to hang as pointed for most shooters making it an excellent game rifle.  In addition, the longer magazine under the barrel allow one to carry 15 rds of 357mag ammo in the rifle ready to go.
The down side of this is that the octagon barreled rifle is not as compact, being 4" longer, and not as light which is something one will notice carrying it around in the field all day.  Empty, the rifle weighs 7lbs 10oz and fully loaded it weighs 8lbs 3oz.  That's almost 2lbs (1lb 14oz) heavier than the fully loaded carbine, however, it does have double the sight radius, carries 3 more rds aboard, and many (including me) think it's a much more natural pointer allowing you to swing onto the shot much more solidly.  Which is right for you?  Only you know what you want out of it so really only you can decide which size to get.  

Of course, you can always take the way I and many others do . . . not decide and get one of each.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking rifles, glad to see they worked out for ya.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a Rossi 24" Rifle and 20" Carbine, both in 357mag and both purchase in 2009.  Both have over 4,000 rds through them and both are rock solid and a ton of fun to shoot; easily family favorites for a day of fun shooting.  I handload for them both and here are my thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of each.  

First off, a 357mag levergun is an awesome choice for a number of reasons.  Besides it's low recoil and relatively low ammo costs, it's a ton of fun to shoot for the whole family. If you don't handload, you can buy 38spl and 357mag ammo in bullet weights from 90grns to 200grns.  With the added benefit of handloading your own ammo, you can shoot virtually any combination of bullet and power that suits you.  

For instance, my 158grn full power 357mag handloads are capable of shooting accurately at 300 yds.  I love to ring steel at 300 yds with a pistol rd!  Best of all, I can shoot those 158grn 357mag handloads for cheaper per box of 50 than the cheapest 22 mag ammo bought on line!  Plus I can load up a wide variety of bullet weights and power levels to suit virtually any shooting I want from mouse fart light loaded light bullets up to heavy loaded heavy bullets suitable for up to medium game (deer and hog sized animals at closer ranges of 75 - 100 yds).

First about my two Rossis.  As I said, I've got a 24" Rifle outfitted with a Lyman Globe front sight, Marbles folding rear (not shown below), and Marbles Tang sight giving me a 30" sight radius and the ability to shoot out to 300 yds at 12" steel plates.  Every time I shoot it, it puts a smile on my face.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/DSCN2840.jpg

Next, I also have a 20" Carbine which I swapped out the stock sights to more precise Marbles bead front and half buckhorn rear.  Further, I added a saddle ring and some leather wrap to fancy it up a bit.  It's light, fast to shoulder, and even with only a 16" sight radius, 8" steel plates at 150 yds are dead.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/DSCN2830.jpg

Using Steve Young's Dvd and parts, I gave both of them an action and trigger job so they run smooth as silk and have really nice triggers for a levergun.  Further, I gave each a coat of WATCO Danish Oil right over the original finish with only a slight cleaning and no sanding to add depth and color to the Brazilian wood stocks.  Below are a before and after of color difference in the carbine stock.

Before the stock looked flat and dull. It's functional but looks just blah laying there.  Not an inspiring sight at all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_0703.jpg

After a single coat right over the stock above, the color looks rich, deep, and grabs you.  It's hard to believe it's the same stock and the rifle looks like a million bucks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/DSCN2837.jpg

As I said above, both rifle and carbine have over 4,000 rds through each of them and both run like a top. They both have ½ cock hammers and are faithful copies of the 1892 Winchesters of old. They are very accurate and well worth the money plus a few bucks extra to slick them up using Steve's parts as they still come in at less than ?the cost of a Japchester without it's terrible rebounding hammer and tang safety. Both are always favorites at the range and never cease to thrill everyone who shoots them.  They are simple, rugged, and bring back a part of Western history that's many times lost.  They are a good way to help introduce the young folks to the ideas and values of a time long gone and to often forgotten.

Now to the pros and cons of each from my perspective.  Mostly their strengths and weaknesses depend upon what you want the firearm to do.  If you're looking for a light, handy woods walking plinker that can take small to medium game a close distances, you might want to consider the classic carbine.  At 5lbs 14oz empty and 6lbs 5oz fully loaded with 12 rds of 357mag, it's real handy for just having a great time.  Loaded up with light weight, low power ammo, it's a great little small game shooter that's both inexpensive and fun to shoot.  However, load it up with Buffalo Bore's Heavy 357mag ammo and you've got a 158grn JSP slug traveling at 2,153fps which makes it powerful enough to take deer at up to 100-125 yds with good shooting.  With another 25 or 30 rds in you pockets, you're set for a day of hunting up close or plinking out to 150 yds in the woods for a few hours.  It's also a popular choice for CASS shooting and as a faithful reproduction of the Winchester 1892 carbine, it's a great thing to have in your collection.

If you're looking for a bit longer range and higher velocity, the rifle gives me 22 fps faster speeds over the carbine with my 158grn 357mag loads.  However, shooting lower powered 38spl, the 4" longer barrel actually slows down the bullet somewhat.   Further, the 24" rifle is drilled and taped to accept a tang mount fold up sight which increases the sight radius from 20" to 30" making it a formidable irons shooting platform.  With the included .040" target aperture installed in the tang, the aperture increases your Depth of Field (the distance where objects appear in focus) such that both the front sight and a target at 100yds are clear as a bell, even if like me, you suffer from poor eyesight.  The longer, heavier barrel seems to hang as pointed for most shooters making it an excellent game rifle.  In addition, the longer magazine under the barrel allow one to carry 15 rds of 357mag ammo in the rifle ready to go.

The down side of this is that the octagon barreled rifle is not as compact, being 4" longer, and not as light which is something one will notice carrying it around in the field all day.  Empty, the rifle weighs 7lbs 10oz and fully loaded it weighs 8lbs 3oz.  That's almost 2lbs (1lb 14oz) heavier than the fully loaded carbine, however, it does have double the sight radius, carries 3 more rds aboard, and many (including me) think it's a much more natural pointer allowing you to swing onto the shot much more solidly.  Which is right for you?  Only you know what you want out of it so really only you can decide which size to get.  

Of course, you can always take the way I and many others do . . . not decide and get one of each.  

View Quote

Nice write up! That's some good info.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok. Probably not going to get the Rossi. I want a rifle I can shoot, hunt with, and enjoy that will age with character and be with me forever. Do you think a henry will hold up well over time?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally IMO you're doing a disservice by not getting or considering a Rossi. IE-EastTexas said don't get one, without something to validate why. The 4 i've owned (not including this one) are now with family and friends. For a "crappy gun" none of them want to part with theirs.
COSteve did a very nice write up.
Mine, well it's a fairly simple lever action

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually Jim, I did validate why. If you read you will see I had difficulty finding good reviews, and not so good reviews were somewhat common. I'm sure they've put out some nice ones, but I would be very surprised if they came close to the quality of a Henry.

And maybe I'm just weird, but I think a lever action rifle should be made in America.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#14]
The only problem with the Henry IMHO is the weight, lever guns should be light and quick handling.  Henry makes a nice rifle, but I have no use for a 9lb lever gun (especially in a light caliber rifle)

I have a 20" Marlin 1894 in 44mag with 20" barrel, its pretty easy to swing around, you cant go wrong with either barrel length.  I would lean toward the SS Marlin in 16" if I was going to purchase one based off your description.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#15]
First of all, Jim, beautiful wood on that rifle on the 'pink' (-1 on your Mancard) background.  But I agree whole heartily on the position to not pass by the Rossi as a matter of course.  Both mine are good, solid shooters that work well, run slick, and shoot straight.  However, there are also other choices as well.  As a levergun enjoy-er, I also have a couple of Ubertis in 45 Colt that are fun to shoot.  Yes, I know that no one ever chambered a original model in 45 Colt, I just wanted one (so I got two).  Anyway, I've got both a 19" 1866 Yellowboy carbine as well as a 24" 1873 Special Sporting rifle and both are also a lot of fun to shoot.

I've got some 40+ rifles of all different types including 8 leverguns but in truth, my 357mag pair and 45 Colt pair are at the top of my 'must bring' list whenever I go shooting.  They are always a big hit with new shooters as they bring back the feelings of an era long ago and as shooters, they are all just a hoot to shoot.  So my real recommendation is to look over all of the options available to you and pick the one that you feel speaks to you.  Then go out and enjoy it.  Guns are a sport!  

Go out and have fun and don't worry what someone else thinks is cool, correct, or acceptable.  If they want to buy you one for you to shoot, then they have the right to have some input.  If they are just talking trash about what you should get, then tell them thanks and kindly move on down the road.  It's your call what you want.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The only problem with the Henry IMHO is the weight, lever guns should be light and quick handling.  Henry makes a nice rifle, but I have no use for a 9lb lever gun (especially in a light caliber rifle)

I have a 20" Marlin 1894 in 44mag with 20" barrel, its pretty easy to swing around, you cant go wrong with either barrel length.  I would lean toward the SS Marlin in 16" if I was going to purchase one based off your description.  

View Quote

That is true, the Henry is pretty heavy for a lever gun. But it's still a bunch of fun. Still probably lighter than some people's decked out ARs.

But, yeah, like someone else said OP, weigh your options and make a choice based on your requirements. They'll be fun regardless I'm sure.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:36:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I grew up shooting a little lightweight Winchester 94 .44 magnum and it's a great rifle if you are concerned about weight.  I also own a Henry Big Boy .45 Colt and it's definitely my preferred rifle to shoot of the two.  Yes the Henry is heavier but that adds to it's already amazing accuracy.  The Henry has an action that is so smooth, so sweet and so downright luxurious you'll wonder what happened to every other lever gun out there.  The Henry's are absolutely beautiful out of the box and definitely qualify as heirloom quality.  As for strength, I contacted Henry and asked about shooting hot .45 Colt and was told they were made to handle the hottest factory ammo available including Buffalo Bore, Double Tap and such.  If they can handle hot .45 Colt and .44 magnum, you can bet hot .357 magnum aren't a problem.  Contact Henry and ask them about the strength and you'll have no question.

There's definitely a place for lightweight lever guns and I love mine but the heavier Henry is so much better than the weight penalty.  I will definitely make the new Henry "carbine" length rifle my next lever gun.  This time it'll be in .44 magnum to pair up with a .44 magnum single action.  

I've heard good reviews about the Rossi's and as many bad reviews so they aren't something I consider but then I only buy American made lever guns and single actions so it doesn't matter to me anyway.  Best of luck whatever you choose!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a twenty inch Rossi.  Fun gun to shoot, surprisingly accurate, will feed anything including full wadcutters.  I have done nothing to it and don't see a need.  Mine is very smooth and reliable.

The twenty inch is a very handy size.  The sixteens almost seem too short to me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Fortunately Steve and others have shown up to defend the Rossi 92 carbines and rifles.

The wood finish has all the charm of show polish, but it makes a great stain for a Tru-oil or tung oil finish applied on top of it.  The first couple coats of Tru-oil will take the better part of a day to dry, but once those are integrated with the existing finish the other coats will dry down in 90 minutes or so.

The metal is nicely polished and blued, but that's not all that obvious until you get the preservative off it.

The interior surfaces can benefit from some polishing around the bolt and cartridge guides, it can benefit from a lighter extractor spring, and from some thinning of the flat springs for the trigger return and loading gate, as well as clipping a coil or two off the hammer spring.  It will also benefit  from a metal magazine follower.  But all of the above are easy DIY projects, particularly, if you get the DVD from Stevesgunz.com.

----

In terms of strength the Rossi 92 like the Winchester 92 is based on the Winchester 1886 - just scaled down in size, which actually makes it even stronger.  The Henry carbines and rifles can in no way compete with a Rossi based on strength, and if you plan of shooting .357 Magnum in it, rather than .38 special, that will make a big difference over time.

The Rossi design differs form the Winchester in some minor ways, but it's a good thing as Rossi made some minor improvements, and they've been making the 92 for about 40 years now so it's a mature design

----

In terms of handling the Rossi carbines are much lighter and handier than the Rossi rifles (due to the heavy barrel profile on the rifles), and any of the Henry rifles or carbines.  

I prefer the 20" barrel on the Rossi 92 carbine for overall balance.  One thing to consider is that the Model 92 action is comparatively short, so a 20" Model 92 is only about 2.75" longer than a 16" Model 94.  You'll find a similar comparison  between the Rossi 92 and the Henry carbine as well given the Henry's comparatively long action.   With a 20" Rossi you'll get better handling, light weight and 4" more barrel and sight radius, which is all upside.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Actually Jim, I did validate why. If you read you will see I had difficulty finding good reviews, and not so good reviews were somewhat common. I'm sure they've put out some nice ones, but I would be very surprised if they came close to the quality of a Henry.

And maybe I'm just weird, but I think a lever action rifle should be made in America.
View Quote

I understand basing an opinion off reviews. Myself i'm a hands on shooter. I need to shoot a gun in question before buying, not to mention input from other owners of said gun.
I, like others have read reviews of guns touting them as the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK, FOR A SERIOUS GUN OWNER
Which turned out to be some gun prone to issues and finally discontinued (remington R-51)

regarding what the rossi is a copy of. It reminds me more of the Browning BL-92 than winchester. Just not as refined finish and fit wise, with that meticulous attention to detail. But that's just me.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bought a 16" SS Rossi.  Fed two brands of .38 and .357 as well as my snap caps reliability.  The finish isn't perfect, but I have no real complaints and would buy it again in retrospect.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have had 5 Rossi lever guns. It isn't a "haven't shot mine much" thing with me, I have competed with these rifles at the highest level.  I haven't found a bad one yet.  However, I would expect someone that owns a tube feed abomination of a lever gun to give people bad fucking advice.  My new stainless Rossi Carbine is the smoothest one out of the box I have seen.  

Fuck the Big man cave Boy gluten free abomination, trying to ride on the coat tails of the original Henry, with no common engineering, parts, or true affiliation. SA$$ has whored themselves approving those turds.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have had 5 Rossi lever guns. It isn't a "haven't shot mine much" thing with me, I have competed with these rifles at the highest level.  I haven't found a bad one yet.  However, I would expect someone that owns a tube feed abomination of a lever gun to give people bad fucking advice.  My new stainless Rossi Carbine is the smoothest one out of the box I have seen.    

Fuck the Big man cave Boy gluten free abomination, trying to ride on the coat tails of the original Henry, with no common engineering, parts, or true affiliation. SA$$ has whored themselves approving those turds.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad advice? That's cute. Please reel in your severe butthurt, sport.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a Rossi 92 with 20” barrel in .45/.454.  It worked fine out of the box.  I did install Steve’s metal follower and safety blanking plug.  A couple of coats of Danish oil brought out the beauty of the wood.  It is my favorite gun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I have two Rossi leverguns, both pre-safety Interarms guns.

Both are .45 Colt; one is a carbine, the other a rifle with half round, half octagon barrel.

Internals were rough when I first got them, so I slicked them up with Stevesgunz DVD and sets of gunslinger spring kits.  Refinished with BLO and a final coat of carnuba wax.

Both guns are trim, lightweight and accurate.  Leverguns.com has lists of handloads and pressure date.  A load of H110 under a Lee 300 gr gas checked flatnose will go over 1900 FPS from my carbine.  Out of my rifle (with a marbles peep sight) it will group inside a 3" shoot n see at 100 meters.  

Buffalo Arms makes a reproduction of the old Lyman receiver sight, im going to put one on my carbine.

Excellent guns.  I have friends who've bought later vintage Navy Arms and Puma imported Rossi rifles and while some have required some trigger/action work, none were abysmal or unworkable.

THAT BEING SAID:

I bought a standard Henry .22 carbine for my 10-year old son.  He loves it.  I love it.  Great little gun.  A couple of plastic parts but I can live with it.

Henry ads claiming they are THE SAME COMPANY that made the 'Henry' rifle in 1860 leave a bad taste in my mouth.  Ads claiming that their company was founded by B. Tyler Henry leave a bad taste in my mouth,  The fact that their pre-production Big Boy rifles had loading gates and solid mag tubes, and their production guns have the retarded .22 style popout tubes boggles my mind.  Still can't understand why they went with this choice, it is the single most frequent negative complaint I've heard about the guns.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
THAT BEING SAID:

I bought a standard Rossi .22 carbine for my 10-year old son.  He loves it.  I love it.  Great little gun.  A couple of plastic parts but I can live with it.

Henry ads claiming they are THE SAME COMPANY that made the 'Henry' rifle in 1860 leave a bad taste in my mouth.  Ads claiming that their company was founded by B. Tyler Henry leave a bad taste in my mouth,  The fact that their pre-production Big Boy rifles had loading gates and solid mag tubes, and their production guns have the retarded .22 style popout tubes boggles my mind.  Still can't understand why they went with this choice, it is the single most frequent negative complaint I've heard about the guns.
View Quote

Oh, oh, the can of worms has been re-opened. FOOD FIGHT!

I prefer the side loading gate myself, and I dislike the rim fire style tube rod setup (and I have similar issues with Herny's marketing) , but I don't think Henry is totally crazy for going the direction they did:  There's a significant faction out there that prefer the tube rod setup over loading gates (for whatever reasons ), and aside from the .454 Rossi, Henry is the only center fire game in town for those people.  Want a .357, .44, 30-30 or .45-70 lever gun with a .22 style tube mag setup?  Don't bother looking at anything other than Henry because you're buying a Henry.  

If you like loading gates, Winchester-Miroku, Rossi,  Marlin, and Mossberg can all compete for your attention and money.  If you like tube rod setups for center fire, Henry just has to say, "Here I am."
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I have owned a number of lever guns over the years.   I would say buy U.S. made.

Had two older Rossi 357 magnum M92s and they worked just fine.   Also had three later models after Taurus took over.   Only one worked very well.   Sold all three.   They would not sell me parts.   That has changed a bit recently.    Some parts need replacement when worn.   Couldnt get firing pins and extractors.  They required you to send the rifle in with a six week turnaround.   No thanks.

Had a Winchester M94 in 44 Magnum and it worked just fine.   Would like to have it back.

The new Henry Big Boy Steel looks good to me.   It is lighter than the brass model and weighs in at around 7 lbs.   I can live with the tube feed.  Easy to unload.  

The loading port models can often be a bit hard on the fingers.   Than can be fixed with a little work.  

If you get the Rossi, the stevesgunz.   video is a must IMHO.   The 1892 is not real easy to take apart and reassemble.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:43:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I really like the Henry rifles. They are quality and are really nice looking. But the lack of a loading gate is a deal breaker for me. The decision to use tube loading mystifies me, especially considering how many rifles they would sell if they just introduced a loading gate.

Since Marlin no longer makes a 357 and Winchester/Miroku only makes about 25 357s per year, my only choice was a Rossi.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Let me start out by saying that I have done a lot of reading in this subforum and have found a lot of useful information. I am going to be getting a 357 lever action soon. I am sure this topic has been discussed in length here. I have read variations of this discussion on other websites as well. I have pretty much settled on a Henry Big Boy, although I could probably be swayed.

Would you prefer a 16.5 inch or 20 inch barrel in 357. I understand the change in velocity is not that drastic, so you are gaining a longer sight radius and 3 extra rounds of 357 at the loss of some ease of handling. I am attracted to the shorter barrel because I want it to be handy in the woods and in the home. Can anyone who has handled both lengths comment on their preferences?

Final question: Does the Big Boy steel offer any added durability over the standard brass? I plan to shoot hot loads but I can't imagine that being a problem for either rifle. I am also concerned about corrosion resistance as I do plan to make this gun a user.

Thank you for reading!

ETA: Is modern marlin quality really as bad as people say? I really dig the stainless model they offer.
View Quote

I have a 20" Rossi in .357 and to be honest I bought because it was the least inexpensive way for the wife and I to get in to CAS. Turns out it is a super handy little rifle that lends itself well to actual use. Many times when I drive my little beater Nissan to the pasture to check the cows, I just lay the Rossi on the dash, stoked with either 170 gr. cast SWC or 170 gr. Sierra HP's. It'll run either about 1800 fps and groups around 2"-3" @ 100 yds.

What are you going to do with the rifle, REALLY? If it's going to primarily be shot at the range or left in the safe, get what you want. But for REALLY using a rifle, and I mean actually taking it in to the field, there are some things to consider:

1) Weight- I don't know exactly what the Henry weighs, but I'd expect at least 8 lbs. judging from the looks. The Rossi is about 5 lbs. unloaded. This makes it a joy to carry. While we're on that subject, I know the octagon barrels look "kewl" but they seriously add to the weight of the rifle, as does a brass frame.

2) Loading- I can't imagine needing two hands to load a lever rifle, but that's what the Henry will require. The '92's and their copies can be loaded without even taking them down from the shoulder. This won't really matter if it's primarily a range rifle, but I really like being able to load a rifle "on the fly".

3) Aesthetics- I know it doesn't matter from a functional standpoint, but the Henry's to me look like overgrown cap guns.

4) Barrel length- In my experience and opinion, there comes a point when a barrel can be too short. I can't imagine anything in the field that could be done with a 16.5" barrel that couldn't be done equally as well with a 20" barrel.

Good luck with your choice!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have a 20" Rossi in .357 and to be honest I bought because it was the least inexpensive way for the wife and I to get in to CAS. Turns out it is a super handy little rifle that lends itself well to actual use. Many times when I drive my little beater Nissan to the pasture to check the cows, I just lay the Rossi on the dash, stoked with either 170 gr. cast SWC or 170 gr. Sierra HP's. It'll run either about 1800 fps and groups around 2"-3" @ 100 yds.

What are you going to do with the rifle, REALLY? If it's going to primarily be shot at the range or left in the safe, get what you want. But for REALLY using a rifle, and I mean actually taking it in to the field, there are some things to consider:

1) Weight- I don't know exactly what the Henry weighs, but I'd expect at least 8 lbs. judging from the looks. The Rossi is about 5 lbs. unloaded. This makes it a joy to carry. While we're on that subject, I know the octagon barrels look "kewl" but they seriously add to the weight of the rifle, as does a brass frame.

2) Loading- I can't imagine needing two hands to load a lever rifle, but that's what the Henry will require. The '92's and their copies can be loaded without even taking them down from the shoulder. This won't really matter if it's primarily a range rifle, but I really like being able to load a rifle "on the fly".

3) Aesthetics- I know it doesn't matter from a functional standpoint, but the Henry's to me look like overgrown cap guns.

4) Barrel length- In my experience and opinion, there comes a point when a barrel can be too short. I can't imagine anything in the field that could be done with a 16.5" barrel that couldn't be done equally as well with a 20" barrel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for reading!

For a woods-walking rifle, I prefer the 16"; but it's definitely subjective preference. The only 20" levergun I own is a puma .454, and it solves the "gate loading vs. tube loading" conundrum by offering both.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#31]
This is the kind of thread where the OP wants a Henry, and everyone with a Rossi gets butt hurt over it.

Rosdi makes a good gun at a good price, but some are kinda rough. Good news is if Rossi is your bag there are plenty of parts and plenty of shops out there, so why not?

OP, I bought a steel Big Boy in .357. I went with steel because it is lighter than brass, cheaper, and was already tapped for a scope mount. The current brass Big Boys come tapped from the factory, but the older ones didn't. Fit and finish are literally flawless. The action was smooth although a bit heavy, but thats breaking in quite nicely. With loads the gun likes I get 1" groups at 50 yards. The tube plunger magazine takes longer to load than a gate, but this is a range gun so who cares?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't think anybody is "butt hurt" here. Just our opinions.

My thinking goes something like this:

Why would I buy an 8 lb. lever rifle when I can get one in the same caliber that weighs 5 lbs. A clunky heavy rifle is unappealing to me. But also as I said, if it's just going to be a range rifle or something you talk about rather than actually using, then the weight issue doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am interested in the Rossi. Why do you say it's a bad idea?
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a brass 44 big boy and a steel 357 big boy.  The brass is about a pound heavier because it comes with an octagon barrel.

They are great guns and you can't go wrong.

The Rossis need at least some work which then make them not less expensive than Henry.  By the time Steve got ahold of my wallet I could have saved money going with Henry but only Rossi makes a 454 and they are discontinued.

I like them both.  The Henry is more of a take on the Marlin 336 without the stupid crossbolt safety, which is a good thing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm about to purchase a steel boy in 357. 690$ out the door. I'm getting the 20" barrel and I'm putting the big loop lever on as well. Great price in my opinion. The buffalo bore 158gr hp are going like 2150 fps.. Plenty for whitetail out to 75 open sights, plus plinking with cheap 38s will be fun. My friend has a big boy in 357, octagon barrel. It's very nice, but I don't want brass and wanted it lighter with a longer barrel. The steel boy does all that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I have a brass 44 big boy and a steel 357 big boy.  The brass is about a pound heavier because it comes with an octagon barrel.
They are great guns and you can't go wrong.
The Rossis need at least some work which then make them not less expensive than Henry.  By the time Steve got ahold of my wallet I could have saved money going with Henry but only Rossi makes a 454 and they are discontinued.
I like them both.  The Henry is more of a take on the Marlin 336 without the stupid crossbolt safety, which is a good thing.
View Quote
There is nothing wrong with the Rossis from the factory.  Both mine and a neighbor's I did, all fed and fired both 38spl and 357mag fine from the factory.  The work I did on them was to slick them up not make them work.  Steve's kit and DvD cost a whopping $58.40 and with it anyone who can turn a screw and work a file can follow his instructions to do it themselves. Further, once you have the DvD, the parts to do a second one cost only $29.90.  I personally think everyone with a firearm should know how to take it apart if for nothing else, to clean and inspect it from time to time to keep it in good working order.  There isn't any need to send it to Steve to have him do it if you have his DvD so an argument that says the Rossi slicked up is the same price as a Henry is just plain wrong.
After following his simple, well documented instructions, you'll have a levergun that is both safe and has an action as smooth or smoother than a new Henry.  Yep, I've done 3 of them in 357mag, 2ea 24" rifles and 1ea carbine and both the actions and especially the triggers are smoother now than a couple of friend's 357mag Henrys were right out of the box.  They got them for CASS meets and they were a bit dismayed to discover that they still had to have them worked on to use them effectively in CASS meets.  Further, they couldn't find anyone with instructions to do it yourself so they had to send them in to a gunsmith and pay the price.  Of the two, neither now use them in their CASS shooting as they've both gone to 1873s, and one of them sold his off while the other's is now a safe queen.
Further, for reasons unknown to most, Henry doesn't include a side loading gate in their design which I view as a major inconvenience and a significant safety issue.  You load all leverguns with a side loading gate with the muzzle pointing away from you, usually with it pointing down; the most safe direction to point the muzzle in.  Firearms loaded from the front of the magazine require the muzzle to face up in the direction of the person loading the weapon; the most dangerous direction to point the muzzle in.  Further, as the rounds are dropped in rather than pushed in as is the case with a loading gate, the second round loaded falls rapidly primer first on to the nose of the first round which increases the chance of it being ignited . . . . . . sending shrapnel right into the loaders face.

Henry's are well made rifles that are beautiful and work well.  I have one of their H001 carbines in 22lr and its a joy to shoot.  Yes, it like all tube fed 22lrs is fed from the front of the magazine and I'm not comfortable with that style as I consider it somewhat unsafe.  So, for the safety concern I mentioned above, I'm not comfortable with the Bigboy's 'side loading gateless' design and therefore, would not consider one nor could I recommend one for that single reason.  You may not have the same concern and/or you may think it's not an issue but I do so I won't be considering any more Henrys without a side loading gate.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Is there precedent for Henry's to go kaboom when loading?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#38]
It's not unsafe.  If you loaded pointed fmj if might be asking for it but that goes for any nose-to-tail magazine rifle.

If it bothers you just angle it as you feed it so that it slowly and gently slides down the tube.

Nonissue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top