Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2015 3:17:49 PM EDT
I really missed the boat when it came to getting a Trapper style lever action. I really wanted one in 44 Mag actually.

So I'm looking at Davidson's special model of the Mossberg 464 in 30/30 with 16.25" barrel and Marinecote finish.

Photo of one from the web:
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I handled one at a local gun shop about a year ago and I actually liked the way it felt in my hands and I'm a Marlin guy.
That's as much knowledge as I have on this rifle and almost bought it but money was tight at the time.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard good things about the Mossberg 464.  I just don't know about a .30-30 with a 16" barrel.  If Mossberg could come out with a 464 chambered in pistol calibers like .44 or .357 I bet they could sell a ton.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
That is certainly a nice looking rifle.

I need to lay hands on one and see how they feel.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one and like it but I have a fondness for trapper models. Mine shoots quite well to 100 yards, haven't had a chance to try beyond 100 yards yet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Picked it up today. Good fit and finish. Action is a little rough but it will get slicker with use. Very short and handy. Potent little package. Good sights.

The only downside is one of design. I would rather there wasn't the additional safety requiring the lever loop to be tightly pressed against the pistol grip. The tang safety is sufficient.

Overall very happy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got the walnut pistol grip 20" version a little over 3 yrs ago and I'm really happy with mine.  First, the action does smooth out with use.  I oiled it lightly and sat watching the tube while I cycled during a 1/2 hour show and the action was definitely smoother.  Second, squeezing the lever tightly to release the safety turns out to be a good thing as it helps teach shooters to keep the action completely closed.  

I've used mine to teach new shooters and watched as a few didn't completely close the action and attempted to fire it.  The safety prevented them from doing something stupid.  I haven't noticed it as I have 8 different leverguns and am familiar with this feature.  Now, with over 400rds through it I'm very happy with the accuracy, trigger (remembering it is a levergun), and sights.  I'm comfortable shooting at steel plates at 200yds with it.  It's one of the few firearms I've left completely stock.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 464 with 20" barrel, if you are in the market for a 30-30 lever gun buy one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Bought one through Davidson's and sent back after 19 rounds through it. Tore the crap out of the brass. Chunks ripped from the rim. Action wasn't smooth and felt like gravel. Who knows what Davidsons or Mossberg will do to fix it.

I have to blued 20" barrel and it is a damn nice rifle. Not sure if I got a bad rifle or there is something minor to adjust to correct.

I did learn that Davidson's guarantee is a marketing ploy, they tell you in the sales process if you buy a gun from them and there is a problem they replace the gun after you pay shipping to return your problem gun. Let's just say that is a bunch of marketing crap. When I called them they wouldn't hardly talk to ,me kept referring me to the transferring FFL. The FFL while nice didn't have any knowledge of Davidson's return policy nor any interest in learning about it.

Finally found a nice lady who explained they were going to send it back to Mossberg for repair which I am fine with as long as it gets fixed properly. Probably last time I use Davidson's for any purchase.

I do like the looks of the rifle and hope it becomes a regular in the rotation of levers I carry!
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I did learn that Davidson's guarantee is a marketing ploy, they tell you in the sales process if you buy a gun from them and there is a problem they replace the gun after you pay shipping to return your problem gun. Let's just say that is a bunch of marketing crap. When I called them they wouldn't hardly talk to ,me kept referring me to the transferring FFL. The FFL while nice didn't have any knowledge of Davidson's return policy nor any interest in learning about it.
View Quote

Was a replacement gun available? If not, Davidson's will repair your gun at no charge to you.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Was a replacement gun available? If not, Davidson's will repair your gun at no charge to you.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. When I picked up mine, from a pawn shop, I was talking to the guy there about the Davidson's Guarantee and he was telling me about a guy who had his gun replaced because of an alleged mechanical defect that they couldn't reproduce when the guy brought the gun back in to ship back. The pawn shop guy said he thought the gun was fine and the guy just wasn't operating the gun correctly. Davidsons replaced the gun. No questions.

I ONLY buy on-line through Davidsons. I'll tell you why. If you buy from Buds or Impact and the gun has a defect, you may be stuck with the gun. You bought it. Take it up with the manufacturer. With Davidsons, I can refuse to take possession even for a minor cosmetic defect, which I've done. (My Savage Hog Hunter had a bit of a crooked fitting stock.) They will take it back and ship out another for you.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah. When I picked up mine, from a pawn shop, I was talking to the guy there about the Davidson's Guarantee and he was telling me about a guy who had his gun replaced because of an alleged mechanical defect that they couldn't reproduce when the guy brought the gun back in to ship back. The pawn shop guy said he thought the gun was fine and the guy just wasn't operating the gun correctly. Davidsons replaced the gun. No questions.

I ONLY buy on-line through Davidsons. I'll tell you why. If you buy from Buds or Impact and the gun has a defect, you may be stuck with the gun. You bought it. Take it up with the manufacturer. With Davidsons, I can refuse to take possession even for a minor cosmetic defect, which I've done. (My Savage Hog Hunter had a bit of a crooked fitting stock.) They will take it back and ship out another for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Davidson's never has what I'm wanting to buy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#12]
"Davidson's never has what I'm wanting to buy."

Ok. Well, if they don't have a gun I want, I wouldn't use them either. I've been lucky. Bought close to 20 firearms that I wanted through them over the last 25 years.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#13]
At the time I sent my 464 back they had 35 and I figured since I had only bought it 30 days prior I would be sent a replacement. Since they received it they show no stock. Rifle cosmetically was sound, just tore up my cases and tore v shaped chunks from the rim. I am fine with it being fixed, just don't tell the customer you will replace the weapon when you won't actually do it. I have other 30-30's but if it was my only one I would certainly be more upset.

I have a number of Mossy's and they have all been decent. Have had a safety button break on a 500 and lost an ejector screw on an 835. When the 835 lost its screw and locked up it was last day of duck season and we had mallards evertwhere! Took quite a ribbing from the Beneli crew about my old school pump! That night I was not the happiest camper!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, this is a special run of guns. An "exclusive" product for Davidsons. Did they say something that isn't so?  From their website:

If anything ever goes wrong with any gun you buy with the Davidson's GuaranteeDSM Lifetime Replacement Warranty, it will be replaced. If no replacement is available, it will be repaired at no charge to you.

So when they received your defective gun, perhaps there were no others and perhaps the system had not been updated to reflect actual stock. I don't know. I have also never had difficulty reaching Davidsons by phone.

Like I said, I don't know. I will tell you that I don't get the impression that it's a scam though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top