Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2015 8:14:14 PM EDT
Bought a pair of Marlin 336 rifles today. The 336w is scoped and barely shot in 30-30 and the other is a 336Y in 30-30 also, shot 1 round. I am going to keep open sights on the 336Y with that short barrel it should be a great brush gun. I am going to put a recoil pad on it. I do want to change out the sights to maybe a peep. Any recommendations????
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Williams 5D or Williams Foolproof.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Skinner on one of my 336's and an XS on another. Both are very well made and rugged. At this point, it's a close tie. I like
the Skinner's ability to change apertures; the XS is a large aperture only. The Skinner is harder to adjust windage compared to  the XS.
Be forewarned....you will probably need to change to a taller front sight with either one. This isn't a bad thing though, both companies have
great front sights that really improve the sight picture.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#4]
XS or Skinners you can't go wrong. Skinner's customer service wasn't the best for me. The guy isn't really friendly on the phone when it comes to figuring out the correct height front sight for a 16" barrel, however that doesn't mean he doesn't make good product.

Recoil pad wise go with a grind to fit, not a pre-fit. I got a LimbSaver because that what was in stock at my local shop/gunsmith. A 1 inch pad will take the stock back to standard LOP.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#5]
In the past I have used Williams Foolproof receiver sights on several recently acquired lever guns, but I have used Skinner sights on a couple of 10/22s and Winchester 9422 and probably use Skinner sights now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I use Williams peeps (preferable the foolproof (FP) model) on my Marlins. The 336 goes right on. It attaches using the mounting holes already on the reciever. I also have a full set of these twilight apertures (shows 8 but 4 are for Williams, the other 4 have long shanks)

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=williams+twilight

They fit all the sights. I usually go with the smallest. Peeps really help if you have aging eyeballs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top