Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2015 5:36:32 PM EDT
I had some free time and dropped by the gun counter over lunch today.  I was surprised to see a Marlin 1894s in 44 Magnum at a price of $675.  I've always wanted one of these rifles in that caliber so I asked the clerk to let me look this example over.  The external fit and finish looked really good.  However, I could get the action to close only if I nudged the bolt home with my thumb or if I used excessive force combined with speed (think Chuck Connors the Rifleman) to close the action.  

I'm saving up for some high end binoculars thus I have a bit of folding money in my pocket.  That money will stay there I think.  I really wanted to take that rifle home, but not with an action that requires double hand strength to close.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
That will wear in after a few cycles, start em tight not sloppy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 3:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my new production 1894. There was a pretty shitty batch that came out from 2008 to 2010. It's possible that one you handled is one of those, because to me that sounds seriously out of spec. The latest 1894, as in the last 3-4 years, are much better and definitely worth the asking price.

I got mine from Buds for $602, and another $20 transfer. If you really want one, I would suggest going that route. If it's bad, you can send it back to Buds and get it replaced.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I made it over to my local sportsmans warehouse today and looked over a few Marlin 30-30s and one 45-70.  The fit and finish on the rifles I looked over were excellent.  The actions were very smooth yet relatively stiff.  I nearly plunked my money down on the 45-70.  I might have to give Bud's a try; thanks ZMV!
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know where to get a marlin lever in .357?

Seems no one has them in stock.

Txl
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 5:11:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I made it over to my local sportsmans warehouse today and looked over a few Marlin 30-30s and one 45-70.  The fit and finish on the rifles I looked over were excellent.  The actions were very smooth yet relatively stiff.  I nearly plunked my money down on the 45-70.  I might have to give Bud's a try; thanks ZMV!
View Quote

Buds really does make it very easy to order. I go through their preferred dealer network. It shows up at the FFL without advance notice, they read the receipt and call me, and I pick it up. Very simple, very streamlined.

Smooth and stiff from the factory is perfect. It'll feel better after a couple hundred cycles, and after a couple thousand it will feel like butter. Marlin is back in business again, IMHO.

By the way, I highly recommend Skinner sights. I put the Skinner Express on my 1894, they look and work great.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
So now I'm torn over ordering the 44 Mag from Bud's or just picking up the 45-70 GBL from Sportsman's.  Also, the PX (where the 44 Mag is located locally) is knocking 10% off their firearms, which will make the price of the 44 Mag approx 580$. It certainly complicates things for me.....
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So now I'm torn over ordering the 44 Mag from Bud's or just picking up the 45-70 GBL from Sportsman's.  Also, the PX (where the 44 Mag is located locally) is knocking 10% off their firearms, which will make the price of the 44 Mag approx 580$. It certainly complicates things for me.....
View Quote

You've been here long enough to know the answer.
Get both
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

gunbroker has over a hundred of them listed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll end up with both eventually, but I picked the 44 mag first because....

Cheaper ammo
Cheaper to reload, too.
Ten rounds
Goes well with a S&W 69
1.5# lighter weight.

So what are you going to use it for?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cheaper ammo
Cheaper to reload, too.
Ten rounds
Goes well with a S&W 69
1.5# lighter weight.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheaper ammo
Cheaper to reload, too.
Ten rounds
Goes well with a S&W 69
1.5# lighter weight.

Nothing in particular.  I've got a 329PD that I plan to pair the 1894 with.  It will be a handy non visually threatening self defense rifle for my trip back through Canada next spring.  Plus it would make a nice grouse gun (I think) when loaded with 44 Special ammo later this fall.

As far as the 45-70 goes, I've got a dedicated bear gun, but have always wanted a lever gun in 45-70 (had a single shot handi rifle in 45-70 but foolishly sold it).  I don't need either rifle, but I feel the 1894 would actually serve a self defense purpose on my temporary move back to the lower 48.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 1:13:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nothing in particular.  I've got a 329PD that I plan to pair the 1894 with.  It will be a handy non visually threatening self defense rifle for my trip back through Canada next spring.  Plus it would make a nice grouse gun (I think) when loaded with 44 Special ammo later this fall.

As far as the 45-70 goes, I've got a dedicated bear gun, but have always wanted a lever gun in 45-70 (had a single shot handi rifle in 45-70 but foolishly sold it).  I don't need either rifle, but I feel the 1894 would actually serve a self defense purpose on my temporary move back to the lower 48.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheaper ammo
Cheaper to reload, too.
Ten rounds
Goes well with a S&W 69
1.5# lighter weight.

Sounds like you've made up your mind. I like your idea about grouse, and I'm now considering loading a subsonic 180 grain load for squirrel....

I have what I believe would be an awesome defense load, 200g Hornady XTP at almost 2000 fps using Alliant 2400 powder. I'm going to try it on deer in December, but I'd expect it to be pretty badass in any self defense role, especially with 10 of them in the tube.

I'm going to replicate it when a 200g Speer Gold Dot bullet before the summer is over.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
No way I'd order a new Marlin; I'd want to look one over carefully before buying it.

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No way I'd order a new Marlin; I'd want to look one over carefully before buying it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do like being able to look the gun over before purchasing, especially a Marlin.  I've looked over a few of their newer rifles over the past three years and wasn't impressed with the fit and finish.  However, the two Marlin riflesI looked at earlier this week appeared to be in much better condition except for the stiff as hell action on the 1894.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

The .357 is a pretty popular lever gun. I'd look at the Henry, I've heard the newer Rossi production R92's are very good. I have one that's 3+ years old, its by far my favorite gun to shoot.

Check Gunbroker for the Marlin, they have em most of the time
http://www.gunbroker.com/Lever-Action-Rifles/BI.aspx?ca=5000093&mfg=1000188
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:55:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I was telling my wife about the 1894 in 44 magnum at my local gun shop.  I dropped by there yesterday and it was gone.  I can only hope she bought it for me :)
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Every new Marlin I've looked at has sights that are canted to the right. I think the same folks that make WASR AK's are building them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#18]
She gave me the rifle for Father's Day.  I cleaned the bore and applied some lubrication to the action.  Hot damn it is time to head to the range!
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
She gave me the rifle for Father's Day.  I cleaned the bore and applied some lubrication to the action.  Hot damn it is time to head to the range!
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll get some pics up shortly.  I took it out to the range today and ran about 50 rounds through it.  To say the action is stiff and gritty would be like saying Moses is old.  I had one really bad jam.  The lifter somehow managed to get stuck while loading a round.  I had to use a brass punch (as a lever) to get things moving again.  That was the only hiccup.  As long as the lever is actuated with vigor, everything works fine.  I've got it torn down and soaking in ballistol at the moment.  Hopefully it smooths up with repeated use :)
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Tried cycling two different types of factory ammo made by Hornady and Remington.  The Action binds up to a stop routinely (every third round or so) when cycling the action.  I'm calling Marlin tomorrow :(
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#23]
PX is tax free also
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tried cycling two different types of factory ammo made by Hornady and Remington.  The Action binds up to a stop routinely (every third round or so) when cycling the action.  I'm calling Marlin tomorrow :(
View Quote

That's nuts. Mine has performed awesome, sorry to hear of your problems.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To Marlin's credit, they were very responsive over the phone.  First they verified the manufacture date of the rifle (2014), then they set me up with a return number and UPS pick up date.  The rifle will go to Wild West Guns down in Anchorage.  Hopefully they will be able to sort out the binding issue.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Wild West instead of the factory - you lucked out!
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Honestly I think that the .44mag is going to be more versatile and cheaper to shoot.

Additionally, I want one to pair with my 629.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Did you get it fixed? Interested in updates....
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That will wear in after a few cycles, start em tight not sloppy.
View Quote
Lube helps too.  

Many of us who compete with them polish the moving bits.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Txl

One is four feet away from me.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Did you get it fixed? Interested in updates....
View Quote

I just got it back today!  The box it shipped in indicates the rifle was returned back to the lower 48 rather than Wild West Guns down in Anchorage.   The repair documents shows that the ejector was replaced and parts were deburred/adjusted as needed.  Also the trigger assembly was replaced as part of a recall (again, according to the repair document).  

The action doesn't require the same level of vigor to operate (without any rounds in the tube/chamber).  I'll try to get it out later this evening for a test fire.  More to follow!
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Finally had time to get out to the range yesterday.  I ran 15 rounds of reloaded 44 mag ammo (240 FMJ) through the rifle.  It fed flawlessly.  Ejection is still weak, especially on the last round.  As long as the lever is worked vigorously, it spits the empty casings out fine.  But if the lever is opened slowly, the empty case will remain in the action after being extracted from the chamber.  I can now say I'm pleased with the rifle.  It is a light, reliable, high capacity carbine with plenty of energy for varmints inside the camp.  I will run more ammo through it to gain confidence in the rifle's reliability.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Lever guns can be somewhat cranky if you try to operate them very slowly . Best that I can explain it is that in normal operation the case has a certain amount of momentum when it is in motion and that momentum causes the case (empty or loaded depending on what is happening with the gun at the time) to be in the right position or at the right angle at the time. If the shooter operateing the gun tries to go real slow this upsets the operation . with a tight new gun truing to go super fast can tend to bind things up also

Smooth is fast.

Sitting in your living room trying to cycle loaded rounds through a lever is not cool , go to the range or wherever you can shoot and fire and shoot the rifle as intended , loaded rounds in the tube and empty brass comeing out of the chamber

Sounds like Marlin/Remington took care of the OP. Good to see that . Everything "Marlin" had a few bad years where most everything was going badly .

Some years back after Marlin had shut down in CT and was starting up out of New York I was helping out a buddy in his gunshop and he must of got about a 50% return rate of guns that were not saleable when they first came out of the box . Even the other half had lots of issues and were down right ugly in fit and finish .
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#34]
What frustrates me is the difference in smoothness between my 336 (older rifle that I used when I was growing up) and this 1894.  I can work the 336's action as slow or as gingerly as I care to and the rounds will easily chamber and eject.  Granted, the 336 is much older and has seen a bit more use.  Anyway, I'm glad my 1894 is working now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top