Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2015 10:03:38 PM EDT
Got a screaming deal on it from a local member.  Overall I'd say it's in 95%+ condition with only a few storage spots of rust that buffed out pretty easy.  Rifling is sharp and crisp as well, so I'd guess very low round count.  I'll be honest, on the first range trip I really hated the curved butt plate but it's kind of growing on me now.

I am considering putting XS sights or one of the Peterson no drill rails on it, as I suck with buckhorn sights.  What do you guys think?

Oh, and mandatory pics.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought one new a week before the announcement that US production was to end. Saw it on the shelf at a Cabelas in KC and i think i paid $399 for it NIB!

You bought a very nice rifle and one that you should really enjoy shooting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bought one new a week before the announcement that US production was to end. Saw it on the shelf at a Cabelas in KC and i think i paid $399 for it NIB!

View Quote

You got a freaking steal  I was selling these for $1k up here in Alaska.  And I think I'm going to love it.  Just ordered some renaissance wax to help preserve the bluing.  Figure I needed some for my holsters anyhow.

I'm going to shoot it for a while before considering doing anything to it though.  I'm sorely considering a set of XS sights for it since I'm not a fan of the buckhorns.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You got a freaking steal  I was selling these for $1k up here in Alaska.  And I think I'm going to love it.  Just ordered some renaissance wax to help preserve the bluing.  Figure I needed some for my holsters anyhow.

I'm going to shoot it for a while before considering doing anything to it though.  I'm sorely considering a set of XS sights for it since I'm not a fan of the buckhorns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Note for clarification: waterfowler1 is talking about a Winchester model 94, not an 1892, unless he bought his in the mid 1940s when US production of the Winchester 1892 ended.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Note for clarification: waterfowler1 is talking about a Winchester model 94, not an 1892, unless he bought his in the mid 1940s when US production of the Winchester 1892 ended.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ooooh okay.  Either way, a freaking steal I think.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry guys should have clarified that I bought the 94!

However in today's crazy 357 lever market if it isn't a Rossi a grand isn't out of line for some buyers!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice rifle.   You may find some 38 Special rounds will work.   If you handload, there are some cowboy bullets designed to give the OAL of a 357 cartridge in a 38 Special case.  

Any lever gun can be fussy about what it will eat.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice rifle.   You may find some 38 Special rounds will work.   If you handload, there are some cowboy bullets designed to give the OAL of a 357 cartridge in a 38 Special case.  

Any lever gun can be fussy about what it will eat.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip  I don't handload at the moment, but I'm already planning on it for this guy.  I was just thinking light loaded .357 but I'll have to look into the cowboy bullets.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I have two 357mag leverguns and as far as 38spl ammo goes, I've found that if it's loaded at 1.500" OAL vs the spec 1.460" OAL it will feed just fine.  So, if you don't handload, look for commercial ammo that is loaded longer than most.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]
.38 Special is extremely charming in a lever gun.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have two 357mag leverguns and as far as 38spl ammo goes, I've found that if it's loaded at 1.500" OAL vs the spec 1.460" OAL it will feed just fine.  So, if you don't handload, look for commercial ammo that is loaded longer than most.
View Quote

Oddly enough, the .38 125gr JHP +p Remington white box is ~1.530".  Going to give it a whirl this weekend and if it works, stock up on a few boxes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top