Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2015 9:46:45 PM EDT
Anybody ever do this? I think I can have it rebored for less than $200(JES) or I'm told that Uberti parts can be used to convert it for considerably more. I saw a beautiful 26 inch conversion on Lever Forums.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Big bore .375 is pretty much same round, Saw a real nice pre-safety model at Dominion Outdoors in Waynesboro, VA for $575 a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know what calibers are legal for deer in Somalia, but here in Ohio 38/55 is legal for deer but .30-30 is not.

I have two 94's and might just convert one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
all you need really is a barrel, and have it installed and make sure the headspacing is good. I am sure there are parts available, the 38-55 was made for a number of years
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Check on the Leverguns forum, IIRC the JES conversions have gotten pretty good reviews.  Bud's has brand-new Miroku 94's in .38-55 for around $900, but they have angle eject, tang safety and rebounding hammers.  With a decent donor 94 and the JES price you'd still come out ahead and a nice pre-64 rifle would be (IMHO) nicer then the Japchesters, nice guns that they are.

Numrich used to have a 'kit' for converting a .30-30 94, I think it was a barrel and maybe a shell guide.  Not sure but I think you had to finish ream the chamber.  Lot of work, I'd let JES do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top