Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2015 10:12:58 AM EDT
After searching for one for the best part of 2 years I came across this on a forum.

Ex display model and it looks as though it's not even had a whole box of cartridges through it.

Sadly it's a Remington made one but that doesn't bother me as I have fairly drastic plans for this gun, which is where I'd like your advice.

Since I'm in England barrel length and suppressors aren't too much of a issue with lever action shotguns as long as it's overall length is 24" long.

I plan on fitting Boyds laminated or black stocks so the originals aren't ruined. I've already fitted a WWG mag tube rail for a flashlight.

A weaver rail is on the way to mount a Burris Fastfire red dot sight.

Then I'll be taking the gun to my local Registered Firearms Dealer who also manufactures custom sound suppressors. I can't decide whether to cut the barrel down to just over the mag tube and threaded for a round suppressor.

Or keep the 22" barrel, port the barrel at the muzzle and have a reflex type rectangular suppressor that extends a few inches past the muzzle and all the way back to the mag tube.

If anyone is good with photoshop I'd appreciate a couple of design ideas. I'll send you some English chocolate or something else you can't get there if you do a good job
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the idea for this to end up a birding gun, a squirrel gun, a home-defense gun, an all-around gun, etc?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the idea for this to end up a birding gun, a squirrel gun, a home-defense gun, an all-around gun, etc?
View Quote

Squirrel, rabbits and birds. Plus slugs on a 25m range.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought one about 8 years ago, it was fun but never found a practical use for it so I sold it last year to a friend for pretty cheap. The only .410 I have left is a double that Dad gave me when I was a kid. GB may look at it differently though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought one about 8 years ago, it was fun but never found a practical use for it so I sold it last year to a friend for pretty cheap. The only .410 I have left is a double that Dad gave me when I was a kid. GB may look at it differently though.
View Quote

Laws here require land to be cleared by police if you're using a rifle, but shotguns can be used anywhere with the land owners permission.

There's a suppressed  .410 Mossberg 500 that's sold here but pump action and semi auto shotguns have a 40" overall length requirment and handle like a scaffolding pole.

So I can go relatively short with a lever action .410
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Laws here require land to be cleared by police if you're using a rifle, but shotguns can be used anywhere with the land owners permission.

There's a suppressed  .410 Mossberg 500 that's sold here but pump action and semi auto shotguns have a 40" overall length requirment and handle like a scaffolding pole.
http://www.thecountryman.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x800/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/o/mossberg_500_wood_hushpower.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.thecountryman.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x800/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/o/mossberg_500_wood_hushpower.jpg

I kind of figured a Lever .410 would be more coveted over there due to the laws. It's a shame that they will not shoot 3" shells. I shot quite a few doves with my double using 3" shells. I only shot one rabbit with the Marlin.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:26:28 AM EDT
[#6]
18" & suppressed. Still gets you flying rats and smaller ground vermin.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I went to the gunsmith on Tuesday, going to cut the barrel down just in front of the mag tube and thread it for a suppressor. It's OAL should be 1" shorter than it is now, and a lot quieter

On another note I'm having a bit of trouble with it extracting fired shells, tried bending the extractor in and making it sharper but no luck. Ordered a couple of others to try.

Where is a good place to get Rossi spares? The Rio Grande 410 extractor fits the Marlin .410 so may try one of those too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I went to the gunsmith on Tuesday, going to cut the barrel down just in front of the mag tube and thread it for a suppressor. It's OAL should be 1" shorter than it is now, and a lot quieter

On another note I'm having a bit of trouble with it extracting fired shells, tried bending the extractor in and making it sharper but no luck. Ordered a couple of others to try.

Where is a good place to get Rossi spares? The Rio Grande 410 extractor fits the Marlin .410 so may try one of those too.
View Quote

email Stevesgunz. he maybe able to help with that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I kind of figured a Lever .410 would be more coveted over there due to the laws. It's a shame that they will not shoot 3" shells. I shot quite a few doves with my double using 3" shells. I only shot one rabbit with the Marlin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never found a 3 inch .410 that patterned any where close to the 2 1'2 inch shells.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've never found a 3 inch .410 that patterned any where close to the 2 1'2 inch shells.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true most of the time and for most practical purposes with a 410 the 2.5" is good enough,  but my Mossberg 500 in 410 patterns the Fiochi 3" better than Winchester AA 2.5"  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
OOOhhh, definitely suppress it.

What kind of ammo?  Factory subsonic?  Subsonic reloads?  Ordinary 2 1/2" stuff?

Try several shot sizes to see what will group pattern best.  If you guys have gone to "Non Toxic Shot" for upland birds, you need to become acquainted with the various shot options.  I'm looking at going with NiceShot, because I won't turn loose of my old smallbores.

If you can't get it done with 1/2 oz of shot, you prolly weren't going to get it with 11/16, either IME.

EDIT:  .410 reloads GREAT!
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The wood on your stock set is spectacular! Not a fan of pressed checkering, but you can't beat that wood on a production gun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an almost irrational desire to have one of those as well     ---  looks like a fun gun
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats , it's good to see more and more of you Brits posting. Get those guns back Britton.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top