Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2015 2:06:20 PM EDT
I like lever action rifles and have had good luck with 100 yard accuracy an peeps.  But good luck was refering to offhand can plinking.  Never really expected them to be bullseye rifles.

That said, just curious what scoped real world accuracy they can reach at 100yards.  Seems every rifle I have been playing with new lately has sucked on the 100 yard range (where my old bolts and even target ar could usually beat 1moa off of bags).  I have a Rossie Ranchhand I am wanting to SBR (and possibly get a second to do the same), but if they are lucky to get on paper, then it is not worth the hassle.

Rossi drilled and tapped some for pistol scopes (handi-rifle style), not sure if mine is drilled or not.  I did a bunch of work to it (cleaned up the action, installed a peep, changed out the front sight) right when ammo went scarce, and kind of forgot it in the safe after that.  Now thinking it would be a fun suppressed sbr, if it can hit anything.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I like lever action rifles and have had good luck with 100 yard accuracy an peeps.  But good luck was refering to offhand can plinking.  Never really expected them to be bullseye rifles.

That said, just curious what scoped real world accuracy they can reach at 100yards.  Seems every rifle I have been playing with new lately has sucked on the 100 yard range (where my old bolts and even target ar could usually beat 1moa off of bags).  I have a Rossie Ranchhand I am wanting to SBR (and possibly get a second to do the same), but if they are lucky to get on paper, then it is not worth the hassle.

Rossi drilled and tapped some for pistol scopes (handi-rifle style), not sure if mine is drilled or not.  I did a bunch of work to it (cleaned up the action, installed a peep, changed out the front sight) right when ammo went scarce, and kind of forgot it in the safe after that.  Now thinking it would be a fun suppressed sbr, if it can hit anything.
View Quote

I have two Rossi 92's, both Interarms, both .45 Colt.  One is a standard 20" Carbine, other is a 24" half-round, half octagon rifle with an action job by Coyote Cap.  Both guns will group inside a 3" orange bull at 100 yards if I shoot from a firm support. (My hunting load is a 300 gr SWCGC at app 1900 fps)

The rifle has a marbles peep-sight, it shoots like a laser, very consistant, but starts to string vertically after three or four rounds in succession.  I had mounted a B-square scope rail on the carbine and put a Simmons scope on it.  The mount (aluminum, mounts into the bolt/ejector access screw hole) took a crap in short order, the hole in the mount stretched into an oval shape under recoil. Carbine grouped 2"-3" with the scope while the mount lasted.

I've been very satisfied with the mechanical accuracy of both guns, but things like the mount  shooting loose have left me leery on scopes (on 92's in any case).  I have owned a Henry .22 that had a Nikon 3x9, it was a joy to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I think this is a picture of the rossi mount

Not really worried about that style loosing up.  Would probably be putting something more like this and a small IR laser on it.  I like the longer rail because it would allow this - just need to see if mine is taped, or get it taped when I get it threaded.  3" to me is depressing for a scope, but it fine shooting with peeps or a dot.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The first pic shows open sights at 25 yards with a Henry in .357. The next pic is the same ammo at 75yds with a red dot. Not the 100 yds that you are asking for, but this gives you a great view into the accuracy of these guns. I'm sure that the group would not be too much larger at 100.

Cheap Monarch 158gr .357 mag at 25yds open sights.

Same ammo 75yds Bushnell TRS 25.

The gun.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Winchester 94 30-30 with a 24" barrel.  I bought it new 2 years ago and no work has been done to it.  It has a Leupold scope on it.

All of these figures are from a rest at 100 yards.

For 3-shot groups, factory power point 150's give about 1.5" groups which is the best I have seen between Hornady, Remington, Federal, and Winchester factory ammo.

For reloads, I can get 0.8" groups to 1.5" groups depending on what I want.  The 0.8" is slower than regular factory by about 100 fps.  The 1.5" is faster than factory by about 150 fps.

I have not gone through all my planned loads, but you get the idea on accuracy.

I find two things that effect accuracy dramatically regardless of the load with this gun.  First, the initial shot on a cold barrel will be 2" higher than shot from a warm barrel.  Depending on the temps, the load, and the rate at which I shoot, it may take 3 to 5 shots to "settle in".  If you account for this walk, your groups can stay small.  The other item is the rate of fire.  If I shoot, say 3 shots in rapid succession, I will start getting flyers on the 4th and 5th shots.  If I go about 30 seconds between shots, I get good groups.  Lastly, this gun likes a slightly dirty barrel.  If I shoot after just cleaning it, I need to give the gun about 2, 3 shots to dirty it up enough.  That said, after this, I can go 200 or so rounds without issues.

Practically, the way I would use the gun to make a hunting shot would be to use 5 or so shots to sight it in the day before.  Once I was looking to make a shot, I would aim 2 inches low for the first shot and dead on for the following shots.  If it was hot outside, I would give myself about a 6-inch target off hand at 100 yards and about double this at 200 yards.  This is assuming I would take multiple follow-ups.  I could give about 8 inches at 200 if I felt like I could do it with 2, 3 shots because I doubt I would see a flyer.

If I had a rest, I would go smaller, around 6 inches at 200 yards.  If I was amped up I would not take the shot outside of 100 yards.

There you go, this is what I expect from my lever gun.

For comparison, I would give about the same target sizes with my 30-06 even though it is more accurate and not as prone to flyers or walks.  At longer ranges and off hand there are far more variables that don't go away with the gun.  Honestly, what the 30-06 buys me is less chance of follow-up as well as 300 yard shots.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Really depends on the round. I don't expect the pistol rounds to do as well as the 30-30/35Rem for example.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually thought about a 1x4 on a 336 with XS scout rail.  Anybody try this, I was thinking a 1x4 would be perfect for a 30-30?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually thought about a 1x4 on a 336 with XS scout rail.  Anybody try this, I was thinking a 1x4 would be perfect for a 30-30?
View Quote

I have a 1.5-5x20 on a 336 30/30 and it has taken many deer and hogs. The gun will hold under an inch groups at 50 yards and 1-1.5" groups at 100yds with Winchester 150gr Power Points. A scout rail is not needed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a 1.5-5x20 on a 336 30/30 and it has taken many deer and hogs. The gun will hold under an inch groups at 50 yards and 1-1.5" groups at 100yds with Winchester 150gr Power Points. A scout rail is not needed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, its the full rail that incorporates the rear sight.    Got any pics of your setup and what size or height rings you use?

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm shooting 7" groups at 200 yards with my 1978 marlin 336 30-30 w/ 4x scope and 170 gr. fed. powershok

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The first pic shows open sights at 25 yards with a Henry in .357. The next pic is the same ammo at 75yds with a red dot. Not the 100 yds that you are asking for, but this gives you a great view into the accuracy of these guns. I'm sure that the group would not be too much larger at 100.

Cheap Monarch 158gr .357 mag at 25yds open sights.

<a href="http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/usncorpsman1/media/image.jpg1_zpsp1y0bvba.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/usncorpsman1/image.jpg1_zpsp1y0bvba.jpg</a>

Same ammo 75yds Bushnell TRS 25.

<a href="http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/usncorpsman1/media/image.jpg1_zps1gehtmhb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/usncorpsman1/image.jpg1_zps1gehtmhb.jpg</a>

The gun.
<a href="http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/usncorpsman1/media/image.jpg1_zpsthy2binr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/usncorpsman1/image.jpg1_zpsthy2binr.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/usncorpsman1/media/image.jpg2_zpso4q2ewu8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/usncorpsman1/image.jpg2_zpso4q2ewu8.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/usncorpsman1/media/image.jpg2_zpsoyn7dind.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/usncorpsman1/image.jpg2_zpsoyn7dind.jpg</a>

View Quote

That's impressive!  Mines a .45 Colt and is crazy accurate but I've not shot at that distance.  Makes me curious.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4X32mm on my 336 and it will do 1 1/2" at 100 yards for 3 rounds with Winchester 150gr PP.
It's a good combo out to about 150 yards.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#12]
My favorite hog hunting rifle is a Marlin 1895 Guides Rifle in 45-70.
I have a Nikon 1.5-6X32mm scope on it using DNZ one piece mount/ring.
I have 2 loads that will regularly get 1 1/2" groups and occasional 1" group at 100 yards without problem.
First is my hinting load of 390gr WFN-GC @ 1,650fps using IMR-3031
Second is my plinking load of 370gr RN @ 1,100fps using Trailboss
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#13]
My 30-30 Marlin 336 CS with Leoupold Rifleman 3x9 shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yards with the right ammo. It loves 150 gr Winchester power point.
My Grandaddies 30-30 Sears with a 4x scope will shoot 2" at 100 yards.

Both will hit the Heart if I know the distance and aim correctly.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Leverguns seem to heat up quickly and POi starts wandering once the barrel is hot. So I limit my lever guns to 3 shot groups, especially valid since I'm really worried more about the first shot being dead on.

Anyway, I have two Marlin that are accurate enough to warrant mounting a scope. First is an older micro groove 1895 in 45-70. It has fired several 1 inch groups (3 shots at 100 yards) but 1.5 to 2 inches is more realistic. This is with my heavy handloads, never found a factory load that grouped as well.

The other is an 1894c in .357 Magnum. It too is a 1.5 to 2 inch gun with good ammo. This gun loves American Eagle 158 JSPs.

I've played with 30-30 Marlins that will shoot under 2 inches, but I'm not much of a 30-30 fan and have never tried hand loading for accuracy with it.  The most accurate 30-30 I've ever shot was a Thompson Contender.

My experience with 44 Mag Marlins has led me to sell them all, even thought the 44 Mag is my favorite caliber.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top