Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2015 11:36:07 AM EDT
I'm perfectly torn between two rifles, for my first .22. The two in question would be the Henry lever action and the Ruger 10/22 Takedown. They're so similar! Ok, not really.
Advantage of going with the 10/22 TD is that I could compete with it. I shoot in shotgun steel plate matches and would love to try out different types of competition - there are also more .22 matches than shotgun at the club that hosts them. Also, the small size and included storage bag is pretty attractive.

But the Henry...is beautiful. It's nostalgic. It's wood and steel. My shotgun that fills both home defense and competition roles is an 870 Police Magnum with a walnut stock. I don't do tacticool (not that the 10/22TD is over-done, but you see where I'm coming from). From what I've read, the Henry should prove to be more accurate. Most accounts of the Takedown say that it's just as accurate as most other 10/22's, but I always hear great things about Henry rifles' accuracy. Reliability? Henry. Either rifle would see a lot of use simply plinking at the range, as I don't live on any property to speak of for backyard fun.

Not sure I'll accomplish anything bringing the subject up here. What do the Lever-philes say?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm certainly interested in owning more lever action rifles in the future - but right now a 10/22 TD or Henry .22 are in the same ballpark of price. At the moment, I couldn't afford to put much more into it than that so the Winchesters and Marlins will have to wait for another day.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got five 22 rifles I collected over the last 50 years, a '63 High Standard Sport King P100 pump my dad got me for Christmas that I hunted with as a kid, two '73 Ruger 10/22s for me and my wife, a '89 Marlin Model 60,  and a '09 Henry (basic 18" bbl  22lr carbine).  

The Henry is far and away the most fun to shoot of any of my other 22s.  Surprisingly accurate, I shoot it out to 150yds with an adjustable peep sight.  If I got another one, it would be the Henry Frontier (20" oct. bbl 22lr rifle) and I'd add a tang rear sight, folding rear, and globe front sight to it and have a ball with it.  Shooting a levergun is a visceral experience.  It's hard to explain but there is just something about a levergun vs just another semi-auto.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
There's something extremely satisfying about racking the lever between shots.  Both of the options you listed will be fun, but I would go with the lever action.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
henry golden boy is just right out of the box. Great sights, accurate, great trigger, slick - also its priced right.

I should also say ... Beware levers are addictive.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, this is playing out exactly as I expected it to. Heavily leaning toward the Henry .22 now.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll be sure to let you know what happens.
Steve
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ok, this is playing out exactly as I expected it to. Heavily leaning toward the Henry .22 now.

Steve
View Quote

You did post this in the levergun forum.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

This. If I only had one .22 rifle it would be a bolt gun, but if you are looking to compete the 10/22 could be the right choice depending on the game you are considering. In any case the 10/22 can be modified about anyway you desire - there is so much out there for it.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to join the late-coming nay-sayers and vote for the 10/22 TD.
I have both rifles you're contemplating and like both of them, but if you have only one .22 LR rifle it should be a 10/22.
There is much to be said for owning the "industry standard" of anything, not least of which is aftermarket support.

Besides, you can put any sort of sighting system (including a scope) on a 10/22 without committing sacrilege, but you don't want to be going any further than a tang sight or Skinner receiver sight on the Henry.
Even moreso than with most leverguns, putting optics on the rimfire Henry would just be wrong, like 3-way with Hillary Clinton and Janet Reno wrong.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep, that's exactly why they don't put a dovetail groove on any of their receivers ... oh, wait!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... Even moreso than with most leverguns, putting optics on the rimfire Henry would just be wrong, like 3-way with Hillary Clinton and Janet Reno wrong.

Yep, that's exactly why they don't put a dovetail groove on any of their receivers ... oh, wait!

No, no, no: the dovetail groove is for the Skinner aperture sight!
Just because I'm old enough to have to scope some of my leverguns doesn't mean I like it. I still feel icky doing it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
" be wrong, like 3-way with Hillary Clinton and Janet Reno wrong."

Ohmigawd, there isn't brain bleach strong enough to purge that image.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell no, don't buy any lever guns. The more you buy, the less there will be for me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Haven't made the purchase yet, but I did decide that the 10/22 TD would be more practical for me right now. I absolutely look forward to owning and shooting lever guns, though, that won't change.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I absolutely love lever guns, but between the two you're looking at I would push you towards the 10/22 td hands down. Breaks down to be compact, easy to mount optics, economical and reliable 25rd mags. 10/22 td for the win
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#16]
On second thought, if you have to ask, then no, you shouldn't get a levergun because you don't understand the appeal.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:09:27 AM EDT
[#17]
You cannot channel John Wayne while shooting a 10/22 takedown.  That should make your answer clear.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#18]
There's only one answer to the lever-action .22lr question...Marlin 39A. It's the most accurate .22 you'll ever own and built like a 30-30. They don't make rifles like that anymore.

Try to get one from the micro-groove rifling era (started in 1953 IIRC) and before they became the "Remlin" garbage. 1953-1975 is a good timeframe.

And if you find the straight stocked "Mountie" version for cheap, jump on it. Those are more valuable.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Funny the 39A should come up, a 1954 model came up for sale this morning in my local forum's classifieds. Looks to be in great condition, too. Too far out of my price range, though, sadly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, you're probably right. I've got a thing for the Marlin rifles....
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#22]
To shoot seriously as in hunting - a 22 self loader that you can put a scope on (Ruger 10/22 or a Glenfield 60)

Pure fun and plinking off the back porch - yes, a lever gun is a hoot.

MLG
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

There's only one answer to the lever-action .22lr question...Marlin 39A. It's the most accurate .22 you'll ever own and built like a 30-30. They don't make rifles like that anymore.

Try to get one from the micro-groove rifling era (started in 1953 IIRC) and before they became the "Remlin" garbage. 1953-1975 is a good timeframe.

And if you find the straight stocked "Mountie" version for cheap, jump on it. Those are more valuable.
View Quote

As a matter of fact, they do make one better than the Marlin 39A . . . the Browning BL-22.  If I had the money to burn, I'd get a Field Grade II.  Iowned a 39A years ago and sold it as it was OK.  Recently I shot a Field Grade II and wow . . . . . . just wow.  Buttery smooth, short throw, accurate as heck, beautiful detail, it makes all others look like cheap imitations.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've got five 22 rifles I collected over the last 50 years, a '63 High Standard Sport King P100 pump my dad got me for Christmas that I hunted with as a kid, two '73 Ruger 10/22s for me and my wife, a '89 Marlin Model 60,  and a '09 Henry (basic 18" bbl  22lr carbine).  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_0384a_zpsnnby8ekb.jpg

The Henry is far and away the most fun to shoot of any of my other 22s.  Surprisingly accurate, I shoot it out to 150yds with an adjustable peep sight.  If I got another one, it would be the Henry Frontier (20" oct. bbl 22lr rifle) and I'd add a tang rear sight, folding rear, and globe front sight to it and have a ball with it.  Shooting a levergun is a visceral experience.  It's hard to explain but there is just something about a levergun vs just another semi-auto.      
View Quote

I too own a few 22's (10/22, Marlin Model 60, Savage MKII, and the Henry H001).  The Henry really has nothing over the other rifles (except I can shoot anything from CB caps to Stingers from it or the Savage), but it is the one I seem to always take out of the safe.  There's just something about the lever gun that makes it a joy to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I too own a few 22's (10/22, Marlin Model 60, Savage MKII, and the Henry H001).  The Henry really has nothing over the other rifles (except I can shoot anything from CB caps to Stingers from it or the Savage), but it is the one I seem to always take out of the safe.  There's just something about the lever gun that makes it a joy to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_0384a_zpsnnby8ekb.jpg

100% agree
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#26]
10/22, but I love me some lever gun 22 shooting.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Newer Browning Bl22's triggers are awful, you can pick up the rifle with the trigger AND not fire the rifle. Not many gunsmiths will touch a bl22 trigger.
My Marlins have user serviceable triggers and are easy to work on and with the right springs are sublime, including a newer rebounding hammer 39AS. that I have.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top