[#1]
Well,... damn.

I'm liking me some of THAT!

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Needs more 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thinking hard about getting one... found better pictures on various websites, the receiver and barrel look very shiny.  I'm curious if it's identical to the brass version apart from material, ie. are all parts interchangable?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Somebody school me on this "straight wall hunting cartridge" thing.

Was there some sort of asshattery in the game laws of some states that PROHIBITED straight-wall cartridges for hunting until recently?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If you look closely at Henry's website about this they show the weight of the steel version at 7lbs vice the weight of the brass version at 8.68lbs.  
That's 1 2/3 pounds lighter which is a significant reduction!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Weight difference is mainly from the lighter round barrel.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Was there some sort of asshattery in the game laws of some states that PROHIBITED straight-wall cartridges for hunting until recently?
View Quote

Different states require different calibers.  Some states required only rifled slugs for deer hunting!!

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Weight difference is mainly from the lighter round barrel.
View Quote

No matter, it will make carrying the thing a lot more pleasant on long hikes.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice...gotta hand it to Henry...they are coming out with some great stuff.  I still "owe" a pic of My Henry .45-70
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Different states require different calibers.  Some states required only rifled slugs for deer hunting!!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I know about slug and buckshot laws.

I still want to somebody in a state affected by this "straight wall" thing to explain to me how the law now/previously limited or required a particular SHAPE on the shell casing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:39:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here's Michigan's:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still want to somebody in a state affected by this "straight wall" thing to explain to me how the law now/previously limited or required a particular SHAPE on the shell casing.

Here's Michigan's:

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Limited Firearm Deer Zone (See pg. 12)

In the limited firearm deer zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm restrictions or use a crossbow or a bow and arrow. Legal firearms are as follows:

• A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.

• A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.

• A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

• During the firearm deer seasons, a firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow, crossbow and firearm. Exceptions: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons above for restrictions during this season.

• Centerfire or rimfire may be used Dec. 1 - Nov. 9 in the limited firearm deer zone during the open seasons. Exception: Rifles may NOT be used for deer, turkeys, migratory game birds and certain furbearers (see pgs. 48-49 for Nighttime Furbearer Regulations).

• A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.

• A .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external high-compression power source, or a muzzle-loading rifle.
Indiana has similar restrictions on COAL, etc.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:29:53 AM EDT
[#14]
OK, so this "straight walled" cartridge thing is a way by which the authorities are permitting center-fire rifles in places where rifles were previously not permitted.

So, its a good thing - as an improvement, or relaxation of previous excess restriction.

Yes?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice but only 1 barrel length.  With no Carbine length, I think they missed the boat.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#16]
would be nice if it was 16in.. but 20in is a happy medium. They are not that big of a company; so perhaps down the road they will give more diverse barrel lengths.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Just to confuse things more, here in Colorado, big game hunting laws are as follows:

A.         The following are legal methods of take
for all species and seasons listed in this chapter, except as otherwise noted.
Any method of take not listed herein shall be prohibited, except as otherwise
provided by statute or these regulations:

1.   Rifles using center-fire cartridges of .24
caliber or larger, having expanding bullets of at least seventy (70) grains in
weight
, except for elk and moose where the minimum bullet 6 weight is
eighty-five (85) grains
, and with a rated impact energy one hundred (100) yards
from the muzzle of at least one thousand (1000) foot pounds as determined by
the manufacturer's rating
, and except for mountain lion where any center-fire
rifle using bullets of at least 45 grains and producing at least 400 foot
pounds of energy at the muzzle
may be used. Provided further that any
semiautomatic rifle used shall not hold more than six (6) rounds in the
magazine and chamber combined
. A fully automatic rifle is prohibited.

2.   Muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets,
provided the minimum caliber shall be forty (.40) for all big game except elk
and moose. The minimum caliber for elk and moose shall be fifty (.50). All
muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets from forty (.40) caliber through
fifty (.50) caliber must use a bullet of at least 170 grains in weight. All
muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets greater than fifty (.50) caliber
must use bullets of at least 210 grains in weight.

a.  During the
muzzle-loading firearms seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose only
lawful muzzle-loaders and smoothbore muskets may be used by muzzle-loading
license holders.

b.   During the
muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose the
following additional restrictions apply:

1.   Propellent/Powders:
The use of pelletized powder systems and smokeless powder are prohibited.

2.   Projectiles:
Sabots are prohibited. For the purposes of this regulation cloth patches are
not sabots.

3.   Loading: Firearms
must load from the muzzle. Firearms which can be loaded from the breech are
prohibited.

4.   Sights: Any
muzzle-loading rifle or smoothbore musket with any sighting device other than
open or "iron” sights is prohibited.

5.   Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot
be incorporated into or attached to the muzzle-loading firearm.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Enough about laws.  Anybody got their hands on one?  Is it dimensionally identical to a brass big boy?  What's the barrel diameter at the muzzle?  Local place has one on order, waiting for it to show up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#19]
local cowboy shop has a few, my buddy bought one saturday.
brand new un fired, the action was clunky and not overly smooth like all the brass big boys i've seen.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Make it stainless, and I am in!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't you find it harder to sneak around in the woods, while carrying a stainless steel rifle?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't you find it harder to sneak around in the woods, while carrying a stainless steel rifle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not an issue for me, as I don't hunt, and by extension, don't sneak around in the woods!  

I do, however, have issues with nice blued finishes that wear/rust quickly going to the range, or walking OPENLY in the woods to get to the shooting area.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not an issue for me, as I don't hunt, and by extension, don't sneak around in the woods!  

I do, however, have issues with nice blued finishes that wear/rust quickly going to the range, or walking OPENLY in the woods to get to the shooting area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's some fast rust.

FYi I do like stainless and have a couple, but have never had a rust problem with blued weapons. I used to hunt allot too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's some fast rust.

FYi I do like stainless and have a couple, but have never had a rust problem with blued weapons. I used to hunt allot too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's some fast rust.

I am really talking about high edge wear and scratches, just throwing rust in as an adder!  No matter how careful I am, I always manage to put more wear on my firearms then I want to.  Stainless firearms, with polymer furniture, just hold up better than a nicely blued rifle with wood.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am really talking about high edge wear and scratches, just throwing rust in as an adder!  No matter how careful I am, I always manage to put more wear on my firearms then I want to.  Stainless firearms, with polymer furniture, just hold up better than a nicely blued rifle with wood.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's some fast rust.

I hear ya, my first two duty weapons were stainless.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#26]
When I bought my Rossi 92, I was disappointed that they didn't have a stainless one, but upon reflection, decided that the blued finish is better for sitting in the woods.

So I am quite happy with it, and you couldn't give me one of the new "Winchesters" with the lawyer trigger, rebounding hammer, and one other thing, which I forget.

Last I looked, the street price was around $1000 for the Winchester.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Henry does seem to be stepping up to the plate with some new/old designs. My use of the term "new /old" is not intended as critical but complementary

The magazine tube loads from the bottom front like a Marlin 39a correct? Not sure how I feel about that.

The angle and drop of the stock seems a bit odd also.

The finish of the metal and fit ,selection and finish of the stock seems to be a throwback to guns of 50+ years ago , like somebody who builds them actually has a bit of pride. Good stuff indeed .

I own a quite nice North Haven Marlin Cowboy model 44mag so I am not in the market for this but I guess I need to lay hands on one in real life and look it over  . My Marlin is a long full sized gun , at some point if I got some cash together I might consider a 44 mag in a shorter lighter size to compliment it.

To my fellow CT shooter , I know what you mean .I have a mix of blued and stainless guns. I really love the look of a old time high polish blue gun but it is soul wrenching when the inevitable scratch or nick appears . The ability of the stainless gun to look ok no mater what you do to it has its advantages

It is not like I have ever allowed any of my non stainless guns to rust but some of them have a lot of "character"

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Yep, the 'non starter' element of the design for me is the lack of a frame loading gate.  Pulling out the tube to drop in rds has always been a real pain in the butt with my 22s even though I understand why you can't have one on a 22lr because of the way the bullet is seated.  That said, to have to subject myself to that in the larger calibers just isn't going to happen.  
Pretty rifle, likely well made with great smooth action, reasonable weight, decent price, etc. + lack of side loading gate = FAIL.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I like to unload using the opening in the tube.

Beats running them all through the action, I think, but I always load through the gate.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Beats running them all through the action, I think, but I always load through the gate.
View Quote

I much prefer unloading my leverguns using the opening at the muzzle.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, there is that method, too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Large loop lever, octagon barrel, no loading gate . . . . not my idea of a carbine.

I give it a FAIL
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:02:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Large loop lever, octagon barrel, no loading gate . . . . not my idea of a carbine.

I give it a FAIL
View Quote

yeah, yeah...we get it...go find a Marchester thread.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:03:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#36]
the look and configuration of the henry is not for everyone.. my brother won't own one after loving the action and accuracy / sights of mine. Why- no loading gate..

If Henry will just opening their development and constructive talents in making a line for loading gated firearms with steel options at the same level of quality and care they are making their current lines.. they will own the lever action market for a very long time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yep, the 'non starter' element of the design for me is the lack of a frame loading gate.  Pulling out the tube to drop in rds has always been a real pain in the butt with my 22s even though I understand why you can't have one on a 22lr because of the way the bullet is seated.  That said, to have to subject myself to that in the larger calibers just isn't going to happen.  

Pretty rifle, likely well made with great smooth action, reasonable weight, decent price, etc. + lack of side loading gate = FAIL.    
View Quote

The Marlin loading gate sucks. I shoot my 16" 44mag in two-gun matches and let me tell you by the third or fourth stage my thumb is killing me. I would much rather be able to drop 9 rounds in start shooting than shove them through the gate one by one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#39]
i like it, other than the large loop.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:18:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In IA you can only use shotgun slugs, ML, or handgun shooting straight wall ammo. I believe the reason behind the straight wall requirement is so that you can't get a TC contender or one of the other specialty handguns chambered in, say .30-06, .308, etc.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#41]
I think it is a great rifle and they will sell a lot of them.   I would like to see the Carbine or Mare's leg magazine assembly on the 20 inch barreled version.   Would be easier to handle at the range with the shorter tube.   For hunting you really dont need 10 shots.   A 16 inch barrel would also be nice.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I finally got to see a steel big boy today.  Not impressed.  The stock is about an inch shorter, feels closer to a kid size gun.  Way lighter than a brass one, similar weight to a new marlin.  

Steel with a heavy octagon barrel and long stock is what I was hoping for.  It's off my list!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top