Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2015 8:55:05 AM EDT
For a shooter.  Been wishy-washy for a while, it's time to get one.  I can't do the squeeze-lever-to-shoot-safety and it has to load through the side of the receiver.  I have a strong preference for a 44.  

The Rossi 92 seems like a great deal for the price, even if it isn't perfect.  Definitely the cheapest option, but I haven't been able to shoot one to try it out.  

A Marlin 1894 is the next step up in price - I think I'm leaning this way as it's barely more than the rossi.  

I'd love a Winchester 1892, but that's a much larger step up in price.  Not sure I can justify it over the marlin?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW I'd go with the Marlin in .44.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#2]
get a nice used 10-15yr old marlin and call it a day.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not crazy about the New York Remington/Marlins . Reports are that they are much better than the first ones to come out of New York but the bar was set none to high .

The New Haven (marked "JM") Marlins are pretty nice if you can find one . As far as I know all of the round barrel guns are "micro-Grove" which is fine if you are shooting jacketed bullets but it is somewhat of a issue with cast bullets. Not impossible to make it work but fussy about loads , powder type and hardness of bullets .

I own what was called at the time the "cowboy model" . It has a full length barrel that is octagon and has what they called "Ballard cut rifling"

This gun is a absolute tack driver with any cast bullet I have tried in it with any load from mild to wild . I have never tried any but have herd that performance falls off with bullets above 240 gr because of twist rate .
My heavy pistol load is a 240 bullet with a medium heavy load of 2400 which gives me a solid 1175-1200 fps in my pistols and 1750-1800 fps in the rifle.
My particular rifle was bought sight unseen from a FFL/friend who ordered it for me and if had really nice wood , not sure if I just lucked out or if the cowboy model had special grade.
Keep your eyes open for a Cowboy on the used market and I don't think you will be disappointed if you can find one. One thing I have found is that the marlins were marked to shoot 44mag and 44 special but my rifle doesn't feed special length at all well , not a issue for me as I reload.

I am generally not at all a Rossi fan .Never really seen a Rossi pistol that impressed me favorably . I did however wind up with a Rossi lever in 357 . Not at all a bad gun .Finish is not up to early Marlin standards and the wood is very dark and plain but function is great .Reasonably good trigger , feeds 38 and 357 just fine , quite accurate . I would suggest their 44 guns to work as well.

I have no experience with pistol caliber Winchesters but really like the several rifle caliber guns I own (all 94 models)
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

get a nice used 10-15yr old marlin and call it a day.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Model 94 Winchester 30-30.
Not even a question.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Rossi in 357.  Fun little gun to shoot.  Surprisingly accurate, will feed anything I can stuff in the mag, including full wadcutters.  The squeeze the lever thing is standard on all lever guns.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#7]
As nhsport said in his post, the 'Remiln's aren't that good quality wise still so getting a good one may be hit or miss.  Further, the Marlin's design includes a thicker (and many say, clunkier) stock and forearm than the Winchester 1892 and it's clones, the Rossis, Chiappas, and Cimarrons.  Many like the Marlins (now Remlins) but I'm one of the ones to find them clunky, bulky, and not fast handling as I prefer the thinner styles.  

The Winchesters are nice but they are really spendy and truth be told, the Rossi is a Brazilian made 'Winchester' while the version marked 'Winchester' is just a Japanese made version.  So, really it's just a 'Japchester' vs 'Brazchester' as neither is actually made by Winchester nor made in the USA. I think you really need to go in and hold, shoulder, and cycle the various brands to see which one suits you personally.  Also, for $58, Steve's Guns makes a action and trigger kit, including DvD, on how to tune up your Rossi to make it sing.

I've got 2 Rossis, a 24" 357mag rifle and 20" 357mag carbine I tuned using Steve's DvD and parts and they both run great. With well over 3K trouble free rds through each, they are my favorite rifles.  I also did a neighbor's Rossi and his runs just as well as mine do.  As to caliber, it's hard to beat the 38spl / 357mag chambered '92s as you can shoot them cheaply or load them us with Buffalo Bore Heavy 357mag ammo and launch 158grn bullets at up to 2,153fps!

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not even a question.
View Quote

It is cheaper to shoot than .44.  $16.88 a box at Wally.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Another option is the Browning B-92. They are excellent Japanese copies made for Browning in the 1980's in .38/.357 and .44 spec/.44 mag. They are not inexpensive but may be the best out there. If interested there is currently a .44 in the EE rifle section (I have no connection to it) I have had one the has been used for years in CAS without issue, handy and fun. Good luck regardless.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a Rossi in .45 Colt and the Steve's Gunz DVD.  I love the rifle and it's shot hundreds of my handloads with no problems.  Tuning it up and refinishing the wood was a fun project, and it feels great.  They're hard to beat for the price!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the '92 action to the '94, but that's strictly personal preference. I have Rossi/Puma's in .357, .44, and .454 and am happy with all of them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#12]
So I made the rounds today, leaning towards 357 now since I have a 357 revolver and load it, and can use my 9mm silencer with subsonic ammo.  
Can get the basic 20 inch rossi for $490 in 357 or $540 in 44.  

I really like the octagon barrel rossi - found one case hardened 24in local but they wanted silly $.  They would negotiate, but not sure how much.  24 in. Seemed too long, I think 20in. Is a bit more practical.  Any input how durable those are cosmetically?  I think I'm sold on the Rossi, the ones I touched all seemed decently smooth for new guns.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#13]
if you sold on a rossi go for it. I love my .357 henry.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:...Any input how durable those are cosmetically?  I think I'm sold on the Rossi, the ones I touched all seemed decently smooth for new guns.
View Quote

Mine vary from 4 to 18 years old. The newest one (a 20" stainless .454) has the silly top-mounted safety and the others don't; but they're all pretty good action-wise and great reliability-wise. I don't know if the new ones are the same, better, or worse, but the old ones are pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had at least half a dozen Marlin 30-30s and all were good rifles.Eventually sent them on down the line though. Traded into this 1968 Winchester for about $250 and its really surprised me how well it handles, shoots, and is scary accurate. Great mountain and brush gun. Easy to reload for -  I've loaded and shot 90g, 124g,150g,170, and 200g bullets in it. Any .30 cal bullet can be adapted for it.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

For a shooter.  Been wishy-washy for a while, it's time to get one.  I can't do the squeeze-lever-to-shoot-safety and it has to load through the side of the receiver.  I have a strong preference for a 44.  

The Rossi 92 seems like a great deal for the price, even if it isn't perfect.  Definitely the cheapest option, but I haven't been able to shoot one to try it out.  

A Marlin 1894 is the next step up in price - I think I'm leaning this way as it's barely more than the rossi.  

I'd love a Winchester 1892, but that's a much larger step up in price.  Not sure I can justify it over the marlin?

View Quote

Every Marlin and Winchester I've owned had a safety feature blocking the trigger unless the lever was pulled up tight.  Is that what you are referring to?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought only 94s had a safety on the lever?  

What about the currently made Winchester 92s?  Worth the price premium over a Rossi?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I thought only 94s had a safety on the lever?  

What about the currently made Winchester 92s?  Worth the price premium over a Rossi?
View Quote

Marlins have it too.  Just a little bit of metal that pivots to free the trigger when the lever is fully up.  It's a good thing, and you don't feel it when your shooting.

New Winchesters are very nicely made and finished, they just don't seem the same being made in Japan in my biased redneck opinion.  Lever guns should be 'Murican.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Stupid question time....  Shot a marlin cowboy today and noted it had a lever safety, but the lever had a detent to keep it in place and the safety depressed when the lever was closed.  Many old 94s I've seen the lever doesn't stay closed enough and you have to squeeze the lever farther closed when shooting - is that normal or is there a detent that should hold the lever closed and it's worn out?  

Also got to shoot a Henry.  They were both 44 and shot pretty soft with hot magnum ammo.  How much difference is there in recoil between those and say a lightweight rossi with the round barrel?  I'm sold on 44 for sure.

I'm sold on the Rossi, just need to decide on round or octagonal barrel.  Round is available local, octagon would have to be ordered.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:...Round is available local, octagon would have to be ordered.
View Quote

Octagon will be heavier as well. Some folks like heavy, some like light; but the weight and balance are things you probably want to factor in.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Stupid question time....  Shot a marlin cowboy today and noted it had a lever safety, but the lever had a detent to keep it in place and the safety depressed when the lever was closed.  Many old 94s I've seen the lever doesn't stay closed enough and you have to squeeze the lever farther closed when shooting - is that normal or is there a detent that should hold the lever closed and it's worn out?  

Also got to shoot a Henry.  They were both 44 and shot pretty soft with hot magnum ammo.  How much difference is there in recoil between those and say a lightweight rossi with the round barrel?  I'm sold on 44 for sure.

I'm sold on the Rossi, just need to decide on round or octagonal barrel.  Round is available local, octagon would have to be ordered.
View Quote

The detent you felt on the Marlin I  feel on mine, but the lever still hangs down a bit too far to depress the trigger safety.  The Winchester 94 I have is definitely more pronounced in that regard.

No clue on the Rossi and Henry.  I've played with a few but haven't shot either.  The octagon barrel might be a little front heavy, so If I was going to take it out walking I would prefer the round barrel.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I really liked the henry....  the reason I don't want the tube load is because a silencer gets in the way of loading the gun.  I see henry makes a steel receiver big boy, any comments on it?  It'd be the easy choice if it loaded through the side.

Both the henry and marlin felt and shot great.  The henry was noticably heavier and it made a noticable difference in recoil.  I'm concerned a lighter round barrel might limit how much shooting you can physically handle with magnum ammo?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:25:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I really liked the henry....  the reason I don't want the tube load is because a silencer gets in the way of loading the gun.  I see henry makes a steel receiver big boy, any comments on it?  It'd be the easy choice if it loaded through the side.

Both the henry and marlin felt and shot great.  The henry was noticably heavier and it made a noticable difference in recoil.  I'm concerned a lighter round barrel might limit how much shooting you can physically handle with magnum ammo?
View Quote

Even with magnum ammo, they're not bad at all; nothing that would likely keep you from shooting as much as you would want to.

On the side-loading vs. tube-loading, the puma .454 offers both in one. This is my puma .454 w/20" barrel:

I tend to use the side-loading gate for loading and the tube-loading function for unloading. Didn't have any plan to use it that way when I bought it, but just evolved into the pattern.

Don't know if they offer the dual loading approaches in the .44 version..?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#24]
So I'm down now to rossi 20 inch octagon, Henry big boy(brass or steel?), or a new Winchester 1892.... All would be 44.  

Is the steel henry identical to the brass except for material?  Any comments on it?  I hate the tube loading but realistically I will rarely have a silencer on it so I can live.  I shot a brass big boy and really liked it.  

My costs would be $550, $750, $950 respectively.  I really like the Winchester but is it worth the extra $?  I'd be afraid to scratch it!
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:09:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let your pinky finger hang under the lever, it will naturally provide the extra little bit of tension needed to keep the lever safety depressed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Rossis are lighter, and more graceful, Marlins are heavier, and clunkier, but much easier to disassemble, and put back together.

I am very happy with my 20" Rossi, in .44 Magnum.

I don't find it much fun at the range, with heavy loads, without my PAST "sissy pad", so the heavier Marlin might be more fun to shoot, when not hunting.

I am old, and scrawny, so I don't have much padding of my own.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Well I ended up having to order it, went with a new marlin 1894 in 44.  Will have it next week, hope I like it!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well I ended up having to order it, went with a new marlin 1894 in 44.  Will have it next week, hope I like it!
View Quote

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Good luck
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck
Yep, good luck - the odds are better for you with the brand new ones as I've read reports from others that their brand new ones are getting better.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:28:53 AM EDT
[#30]
The OP went for a new Remlin . . . .
Crap shoot but I wish you well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The OP went for a new Remlin . . . .

Crap shoot but I wish you well.
View Quote

Ill take a Rossi, or anything over a brandnew marlin.. until they get a track record together.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Picked up the marlin today.  I thought it would be heavier and more like a cowboy, but it's not.  

All the naysayers can leave, zero gaps between wood and metal, the action is smooth out of the box and the trigger is pretty good.  No QC issues are visible.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Picked up the marlin today.  I thought it would be heavier and more like a cowboy, but it's not.  

All the naysayers can leave, zero gaps between wood and metal, the action is smooth out of the box and the trigger is pretty good.  No QC issues are visible.  
View Quote

glad it worked out. Any pics?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, after fondling and cycling some ammo through it....  There is a small gap at the rear of the upper receiver tang, like the slot was cut just a hair too long.  About 1mm gap.  
And the rear sight isn't centered in the dovetail by about 1-2mm.  Is the dovetail or sight tapered?  Will get to shoot it saturday to see if it needs adjustment.  

The action is a bit stiff but smooth.  A couple drops of oil and some cycles and it's rapidly lightening up.  Still quite smooth and the trigger feels fine.  

The checkering is pressed(not cut) and the locking block looks like it is a piece of cast/forged steel with the contact surfaces machined.  

Overall it's obviously a modern made gun.  I'd rather have an older cowboy model but wasn't willing to pay the price required to get one.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I wouldn't sweat the sight issue. My Rossi M92's rear sight was also not centered from the factory. "taptaptap" and it was on target.
Half of the fun of a new levergun is cycling it to smooth it out.

The Marlin 1894s I've shot are pretty nice.  
I've shot  borrowed 1894 cowboys in matches....they run as fast as I can run a lever gun, and have a fairly short lever throw when compared to most unmodified Winchester designs (including the Rossi).
If a heavier octagon profile for more consistency in accuracy and quick follow up shots is what you want, then the Marlins makes some excellent choices. I wanted a 5# 20" barrel carbine in .45 Colt, so it was a Rossi for me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Well the sights are dead on, no windage adjustment needed.  Action keeps getting smoother and 75 rounds had no issues.  

Minor fitment complaints(a small wood gap and sights are accurate but slightly wonky) but it's mechanically perfect.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I prefer the '92 action to the '94, but that's strictly personal preference. I have Rossi/Puma's in .357, .44, and .454 and am happy with all of them.
View Quote

Does the 454 feed 45colt?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. I've read of people having problems using the shorter rounds, but mine have been fine. I use .45's in my ..454 (and .38's in my .357) on a regular basis. May be different in other platforms; mine are all pumas and haven't had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd recommend a Marlin .30-.30
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes. I've read of people having problems using the shorter rounds, but mine have been fine. I use .45's in my ..454 (and .38's in my .357) on a regular basis. May be different in other platforms; mine are all pumas and haven't had a problem with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback.
I may have to pick one up
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a few levers. I can't speak of the new Marlins as I haven't bought any levers in the last 10 years. Marlins are nice as they are really easy to clean which is the first thing I do with them. Your correct in that Marlins will smooth out a lot with use which is the second thing I do with a new lever. A nice accessory to have are some well made fingerless leather shooting gloves. The back of your hand will appreciate it if you spend a day firing them. Use them also to sit around, watch the tube and throw the lever a lot to wear it in.

I don't really care for factory sights on levers. I usually add (except for a pre 64 Win. safe queen) a Tang or Williams peep. Marlins are good as they have a fold down rear sight, my Rossies don't so I switched those out and the fronts with replacements from Steves guns to get them out of my line of sight.  

The only complaint I have with Marlins is the front hood always views out of round (lopsided) so I pop them off when firing them and put it back on when done. Winchesters are always nice and round. Rossies don't have them.

I have the 1894SS version (middle one). It was a bit of a pain to pop the Williams peep on to this model (the only one by the way). Unless Williams finally caught up with the (then) new mounting hole positions you'll need to drill and tap a third hole 1/2" forward of the second. I think the tap was an 8/32, can't remember but it matched the existing two. The Williams would have worked as is but the way it hung off the back bugged me. I got a replacement SS plug screw from Numrich in case I ever want to remove it and to be unnoticeable. Be careful not to set the drill press to low as to bore into the chamber. I also got a SS front sight hood when getting the screw because the front sight I switched to a fire sight and it has a cut out to let the light really make it glow. The hood is one for a 983S, which I also have, and tried it before buying.

Just a couple other things to get you started in Levers besides the above bit with gloves. Get used to not removing it from your shoulder for your next shot. Just fir, keep it in postion, throw and fire your next round. If you do decide to sling it, just get one that's great for carry. As shown I have a penchant for Cobra types. You can't use a sling for support on a lever without throwing off the POI a bit. On loading it, push the first round in most of the way then use the next round to fully push it into the gate. It'll save your fingertips some wear.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#42]
You actually want a small gap at the tang so it doesn't break your stock.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Sure people will hate but the wife bought me the mossy 464 recently. It's pretty cool real light adjustable stock I like it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not even a question.

12.97 here
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

12.97 here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not even a question.

12.97 here

Umm, yes and no. Depends really on brand and the amount of rounds per box. The best you could say is their about equal in ammunition costs for in the middle of the road rounds. In the OPs case, the 44 may be a better pick as I think he stated he had a 44 handgun.

In reality, what you want to do is reload for either one if costs are a concern. Start up costs can be modest or "keee-rist" depending again on selections. I can build a comfortable system for about $600.00. The 44's are very easy to do (as with any straight walled cartridge), 30-30's take a little more as they bottle neck. There is a reloading section in armory if anyone is curious. It's a really good sub-section and you can ask anything you want to without fear of being "Noobed" dogpiled. We've all been there and Dryflash (moderator) keeps it on track quite well.

Here's one I wrote for it but there are many more available. It's best to read the first link as its really part one. This one is dedicated to bottle necks.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/408347_A_second_run_at_my_style__this_time_bottle_necks__written_mainly_for_newer_reloaders_.html

For .44's I use:
9.5 grains of titegroup and Hornady 240 grain XTP's. Costs about .$0.30 or so per

For 30-30's (actually really close to Hornady's own leverlution stuff) I use:
35.5 grains of Leverlution powder and 160 grain FTX bullets. Naturally the costs are higher then the 44's due to the amount of powder used and the bullets cost slightly more per, still saves about 60% then factories.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top