Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2015 3:01:58 PM EDT
I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with converting a Rossi Ranch Hand to an SBR.  I have searched the web and haven’t found too much so I wanted to see what you all thought.  I first became interested when I seen the youtube video that hickok45 did with one that was SBRed and had a suppressor.  I was actually thinking of building that exact same setup in 357 with a threaded barrel.  I was thinking that 38 spl is cheap and suppress well,  and that I could use it with 357 mag for some deer hunting.  What I am having trouble with is justifying this setup as something practical rather than a complete range toy.  What do you guys think?  By the way, this would be my first lever gun.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#1]
BummbleBee Bob should be around shortly.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Would SBR'ing it involve more than just changing out the butt stock and filling out the paperwork? If you didn't change the buttstock from the original, you could just thread it like any other pistol barrel; no SBR aspect about it then; just another pistol with a threaded barrel.

On threading the barrel, you'll have to have the mag tube shortened as well; at least I did on my 16" version.

Me personally, the 4-inch difference in barrel length between the ranch hand and the carbine wouldn't be worth the hassles and expense of SBR'ing it. I also like the velocity jump the 16" barrel gives. I get over 2,000 fps with 125's and 140's (my loads) and some factory loads do even better. Buffalo Bore 158's allegedly hit 2100 from a 16-inch barrel; never confirmed that myself, but have read it more than once.

I've had more than one person use the word "abomination" upon seeing the 1892 carbine with silencer and red-dot sight, but have never had someone not want to shoot it a second time after they fire it once...  
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would SBR'ing it involve more than just changing out the butt stock and filling out the paperwork? If you didn't change the buttstock from the original, you could just thread it like any other pistol barrel; no SBR aspect about it then; just another pistol with a threaded barrel.

On threading the barrel, you'll have to have the mag tube shortened as well; at least I did on my 16" version.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/LE/SR92detail.jpg

Me personally, the 4-inch difference in barrel length between the ranch hand and the carbine wouldn't be worth the hassles and expense of SBR'ing it. I also like the velocity jump the 16" barrel gives. I get over 2,000 fps with 125's and 140's (my loads) and some factory loads do even better. Buffalo Bore 158's allegedly hit 2100 from a 16-inch barrel; never confirmed that myself, but have read it more than once.

I've had more than one person use the word "abomination" upon seeing the 1892 carbine with silencer and red-dot sight, but have never had someone not want to shoot it a second time after they fire it once...  
View Quote

^ who cares & exactly
i like them

i have a octagon barrel that i couldnt get my self to cut/thread....so i am looking for a 16incher to do exactly this.   now i may consider a ranch hand  ;)

more pics of yours?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:  
...more pics of yours?
View Quote

This is the end result, with scout mount and bushnell red dot. Suppressor is an AWC Abraxas titanium:

I've considered changing out the red dot with a smaller one, as I have a couple fast-fires (or maybe first strikes..?) laying around; but haven't yet.

One thing I really like about it is the compactness of it. Even with the suppressor attached, it's still only the same size as a standard 10-22. (This was before installing the scout mount):

It ended up being even more versatile than I had expected. With full power loads, it runs well over a thousand ft/lbs of energy; more than adequate for the size of deer we have here in arkansas. With subsonic loads (158's @ 1050fps), the AE suppressor, 16" barrel, and sealed breech combine to make it quieter than my gamo pellet gun; yet it's still putting out roughly the same power as a .45acp with hardball. More than adequate for a lot of uses; in my case primarily unwanted nuisance critters, as we're pretty rural.

For fun uses, ringing a 160-yard gong with those pellet-gun-sounding rounds is a real hoot.

If it had a faster rifling twist, I'd experiment with 180's in it, but these older ones have a 1:30 twist, which I don't trust to fully stabilize a bullet that heavy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is the video that got me thinking. I don't mind the paperwork for the stamp and I already have a 9mm suppressor. I am just on the edge about the practicality.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]

One thing I really like about it is the compactness of it. Even with the suppressor attached, it's still only the same size as a standard 10-22. (This was before installing the scout mount):
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/LE/SR9210-22.jpg
View Quote

I didn't realize that they were that compact with a 16" barrel.  That picture compared to a 10/22 really puts it into prospective.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]
That's pretty cool, actually.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in the same boat, but I'm going to do it in .45LC.  I ended up getting a 16" Rossi because I figured it would be more fun to shoot than the Ranch Hand while I save up to (someday) buy the suppressor.  

Now that I've owned and shot the 16" for a year I hesitate to cut it any shorter.  The TiRant 45 is almost 9" long, so the barrel would be 25" total, but I hate to limit the capacity down to 6 (from 8 currently).  

I'm always interested to see other people's opinions and pictures.  I especially like the picture of it next to the 10/22-it doesn't look that long when you look at it that way!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you guys good at working, shaping and finishing wood?

Cause Rossi won't sell you the buttstock. Or even a buttplate.

So you have to buy a semi finished stock from http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/ and it it to the receiver. That's not too bad but you have to get the curved buttplate they sell and it has a different curve than the stock. That's harder to do. Then you need to shape the thing. Mostly this consists of thinning around the wrist and tangs. Then staining and finishing.

Mine is done just smother to be functional is all. I need to give it somebody that does woodworking because my talents with wood extend to making toothpicks and firewood.

Still it'd a handy little carbine that's just plain fun to shoot and carry. Make a great camping carbine.

Here's mine, in .45 Colt:

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So you have to buy a semi finished stock from http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/ and it it to the receiver. That's not too bad but you have to get the curved buttplate they sell and it has a different curve than the stock. That's harder to do. Then you need to shape the thing. Mostly this consists of thinning around the wrist and tangs. Then staining and finishing.

Mine is done just smother to be functional is all. I need to give it somebody that does woodworking because my talents with wood extend to making toothpicks and firewood.

Still it'd a handy little carbine that's just plain fun to shoot and carry. Make a great camping carbine.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/titan68/media/Firearms/IMAG0545.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/titan68/Firearms/IMAG0545.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/titan68/media/Firearms/IMAG0545.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/titan68/Firearms/IMAG0545.jpg</a>

I have a guy down in the springs does nice wood refinishing.

His generic AK refinish

I'd go with a basic unit IF you're not mechanically inclined.  Then suppress it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#11]
A little wood work doesn't bother me too much.  Those rifles look sharp.  I have also though about going with a 16" in 45 colt as well.  If I were to go with a full size gun, that is what it would be.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A little wood work doesn't bother me too much.  Those rifles look sharp.  I have also though about going with a 16" in 45 colt as well.  If I were to go with a full size gun, that is what it would be.
View Quote

Thanks. I was looking at caliber options for a lever. I went with the Rossi 92 because i have a few .357 & 38 revolvers , and the seller was asking $300 for it.   Since that addition, i acquired a Browning BL-92 from the original owner still had the factory lube on  and 20 rounds through it. Was going to suppress it Then saw how much ones in lower NRA grading  were selling for.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know of anyone that has converted the Ranch Hand to a standard loop? Wonder how much of a hassel it is?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#14]
That's some fantastic looking wood Jim! Does your buddy do it as a business?

I'd be interested in a standard loop lever too as the large loop is too ridiculous. Although I've thought of cutting and welding the large loop and covering the weld with a piece of rawhide laced together. Add some brass tacks to the stock and forearm and get an old timey western look to the gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Not mine but great ideas here... http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/11136/rossi-ranch-hand-357. Magnetically attached stock on the Canadian ranch hand!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Well I couldn't find one in 357 locally so I ordered one from grab a gun. I am going to submit the form 1 as soon as it arrives.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Crappy phone pic of my fudd guns.

I got the stock from Boyds.  Finish matches very well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Did they make the Ranch Hand tangs different from the standard rifle/carbine?  You can't just swap a standard stock on, then?  What did they do...make them wider?  Narrower?  Different hole spacing?  Something more drastic?

Rob
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:49:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://i57.tinypic.com/262o7et.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Did you use the scope base for the M92? How much did it cost you to get the receiver drilled and tapped?

Quoted:
Did they make the Ranch Hand tangs different from the standard rifle/carbine?  You can't just swap a standard stock on, then?  What did they do...make them wider?  Narrower?  Different hole spacing?  Something more drastic?

Rob

Tang is the same. They'll take any stock for the 92.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

OK.  Should be pretty straightforward, then, even though Rossi won't play.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Did you use the scope base for the M92? How much did it cost you to get the receiver drilled and tapped?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rob

I used the mount sold here
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rob

Bravo_Six  Thanks for the info and the picture. That is pretty much the exact setup that I am going for.  Just waiting for the From 1 to come back now.  How solid is the scope mount? I have been looking hard at that one. How well do you like the gun overall?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Bravo_Six  Thanks for the info and the picture. That is pretty much the exact setup that I am going for.  Just waiting for the From 1 to come back now.  How solid is the scope mount? I have been looking hard at that one. How well do you like the gun overall?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rob

The mount seems pretty solid.  It is intended for light weight optics, iirc.  I think this is mentioned in the instructions, but I could be thinking of the sun optics mount that I DXed.  

It is not the cleanest looking mount, but it works well and requires no drilling or tapping.

I ordered the 92 mount and he accidently sent me the hardware for a 94.  However, he was very quick to respond and immediately sent me the 92 hardware.  

As far as I can tell, it appears to be the best option available unless you are willing to D&T the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Are the current production reach hands drilled and tapped for a scope rail?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are the current production reach hands drilled and tapped for a scope rail?
View Quote

As of 6 months ago, no.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The mount seems pretty solid.  It is intended for light weight optics, iirc.  I think this is mentioned in the instructions, but I could be thinking of the sun optics mount that I DXed.  

It is not the cleanest looking mount, but it works well and requires no drilling or tapping.

I ordered the 92 mount and he accidently sent me the hardware for a 94.  However, he was very quick to respond and immediately sent me the 92 hardware.  

As far as I can tell, it appears to be the best option available unless you are willing to D&T the barrel.
View Quote

I can vouch  for the mount too. It rocks but I had to do a lot of fitting on the dovetail and my irons don't work with it (however, I added a PA micro dot and almost feel like ditching irons completely)
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone know of anyone that has converted the Ranch Hand to a standard loop? Wonder how much of a hassel it is?
View Quote

Is it just a standard 92 lever?  I'm not familiar enough with the 92 to know if that's the kind of thing you can just swap in from a standard one or if they need fitting.  I'm not a fan at all of that ridiculous loop, but other than that the idea of one of these as an SBR is really cool.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Is it just a standard 92 lever?  I'm not familiar enough with the 92 to know if that's the kind of thing you can just swap in from a standard one or if they need fitting.  I'm not a fan at all of that ridiculous loop, but other than that the idea of one of these as an SBR is really cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It needs to be a Rossi 92 lever. You can also get it modified by Muleman or DIY if you're not worried about being perfect/are covering it (the route I'm taking)
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His generic AK refinish
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u129/51jim/100_1924_zps692b1595.jpg

What AK stock is that? Beryl?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#30]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_51/446177_Rossi_Ranch_Hand_SBR___finished.html

Here is some good info / picts on a Ranch Hand build from over in the SBR section.  Check it out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 6:15:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_51/446177_Rossi_Ranch_Hand_SBR___finished.html

Here is some good info / picts on a Ranch Hand build from over in the SBR section.  Check it out.
View Quote

Very cool project, I like how it turned out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boyd's will sell you a Rossi stock ready to go.

Does anyone even internet?

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/3y0571515117_rossi-92-stock-walnut-finished

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boyd's will sell you a Rossi stock ready to go.

Does anyone even internet?

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/3y0571515117_rossi-92-stock-walnut-finished

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/images/items/Large/3Y0571515117.jpg

They didn't when I did mine. Believe me, I looked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top