Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2015 2:20:47 AM EDT
I have an early 80s 94 with the sintered receiver that wont take bluing, and im considering have it park'ed. Has anyone ever done this? thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:42:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a member over on MarlinOwners.com and have seen a few there that guys had done on used/ abused  leverguns. I personally like
the look of a parked gun....no safe queens for me. Another option is one of the spray-on coatings. You can choose from a whole lot of
colors and textures to suit your desires. Some are high tech and need to be done by a pro while others are basic prep, spray on, then cure
in a warm oven.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:00:50 AM EDT
[#2]
You can get the solutions for Parkerizing from Brownells. It only takes about 165 - 170 degrees, and can be done on a stove top for small parts. Need a tray long enough for the barrel but that can be made if you have the time and material. We always plugged the barrels with stoppers, but there may be some new fangled tape or something to keep the solution out of the barrel, threads etc. Depending on the condition of the surface of the metal (pitting etc) often we would sand blast after removing as much pitting as was possible. Be sure to thoroughly clean and degrease ALL surfaces thoroughly. Brownells and youtube are you friends on this one.
Black or OD parked 94s are lots of fun since you don't have to baby it, and imho look fine. Go for it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a '94 that is the same as yours. I used Brownells Alumahyde. Came out pretty good. I cannot attest to the long term durability though as I've never had it out in the field!
Before:

After:

Cleaned and de-greased it, set it in the sun, and gave it a few light coats. Just another option for you to consider.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I just had one of mine cerekoted....looks nice...just waiting on some free time to refinish the wood now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a member over on MarlinOwners.com and have seen a few there that guys had done on used/ abused  leverguns. I personally like
the look of a parked gun....no safe queens for me..
View Quote

this.  there definitely are some great looking and functioning parked lever guns on M.O.

I'm debating to send off a Winny 94 for a refinish with park down the line.....
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I tried parking one of my post 64 30-30 rifles. I did not fair well. However, after a failed attempt at parking it, I tried bluing it just for kicks. the blue actually worked great. it was dark and even.
Im really not sure why but it must have dissolved some surface metal that was preventing the bluing process. before the blue would just make the receiver purplish blue. I had just completed a takedown conversion and
made the front portion out of 4140 heat treated and the blue matched perfectly afterwards.
My other rifle I powder coated satin black.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Marlin I bought for $125 with a bunch of surface rust and a small amount of light pitting.  I had a local parkerize it as I wanted a beater brush gun.  It came out great, mine is a very dark grey color.  I'll have to pull it out and take some pictures sometime.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I did one many years ago when I worked at Barrett. It turned out pretty good. We used a manganese phosphate parkerizing solution.
The receiver will continue to fizz in the solution after it is done giving the illusion that it is not finished. I left it in for about 15 minutes. Took it out, rinsed in hot water, blowed dry with an air gun and dipped in DuLite oil for about 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Bad picture, but:

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#10]

I still think it looks good.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:19:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks. I bought it online over 15 years ago. The owner decided to get into CAS and wanted his guns to look "authentic" and decided to antique them. He took this nice old Winchester, hit all the metal with Naval Jelly, which left it mostly bare metal with some blotchy blueing left. Then he sanded the stocks, sprayed them with black paint and sanded them again so they looked "oil soaked". It was the ugliest Winchester I've ever seen, but that's why I got it so cheap.

He was all proud but when he went to his first match he was told he couldn't use it because it's a .30-30, not a pistol caliber. Disgusted, he posted it online very cheap.

I didn't want to dump a lot of money into it so I asked Karl Sokol to bead blast and parkerize it. I gave him a set of presentation grade wood a friend picked up for me at the auction when the Winchester plant closed. He initially refused, but finally agreed as long as I never told anyone he did it. But after it was done and he saw what it looked like, he said it was OK if people knew. While he had it apart he smoothed out the trigger, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top