Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2015 9:11:01 PM EDT
Picked up two winchester 94s that are projects. One will be a straight forward fix. The other one has the tangs bent. For the lower tang I'm just replacing the part. For the upper tang I need to find a way to bend it back into position without snapping it. So my question is

1) I'm thinking some combination of heating tip from my acetylene torch. And going slowly? Anyone have a better way?

2) How will I know I have the proper angle? I have a receiver to reference. Just want to know if there's a better way than eyeball engineering.

Will post pictures of the project evolving.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't home engineer a pre-64 Winnie 94 on anything that required a torch.  That's just me, but then I'm not a gunsmith or even a gunjones.  Either way, good luck, looking forward to seeing the pics, I love a pre-64 Winnie.  I also love the post 64 too (prior to the lawyer crap of course).
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]
How bad is the tang bent?  Was it ran over or something.

If not too bad I would try heat and some type of vice grip set up and go slow.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Vice grips. really ?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The cheaper frames like Stevens 44s were cast and would break or splatter if heated with a torch. The winchester being forged should be able to be bent back. I'd google for other people doing the same thing.

You could make a jig to bend to using the other frame as a pattern. Could be as simple as a couple of pins in drilled holes in a scrap plate.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Vice grips. really ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vice grips. really ?

Yes really!  You have to use some common sense and reasoning.  They make different types with elongated jaws.  Or you could use something on the top and bottom
to clamp on it.  I have done this type of fix before.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a horse rolled over on it.

It's an actual Winchester forged receiver. Looks like a mapp gas touch, ball pen hammer and vice will work out. The angle is 90 degrees on the tang/ receiver. Going to try it this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Got both of them straightened out. Used a ball peen hammer, map gas tourch and vice anvil. Heated the bent tang part to a dull/med red. Then a few whacks on the hammer. Heat and try again till done. Also used a machinists angle to check my work. It's spot on. I'll heat treat it again like with an AK. Heat it up dull red then quench. Then heat till it discolors.

Have pictures but cannot up load them for some reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top