Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2015 11:21:45 PM EDT
Big boy in 357/38spl.  It's my first lever gun.  It was pretty much the only caliber I was interested in for a lever gun.  

Was picking up another gun and saw this and took it home too.

Can't wait to shoot this thing.

A bit in the picture of the pistol I picked up tonight

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#1]
great pick up. I have one as well. You may need to put 50rds or so for break-in. When i had mine brand new the first 20 or so had FTE issues (like 1-3 rds).. but after firing 50-100 rds its perfect. Action was slick and trigger was perfect, sights were easy to see. Henry makes a good lever.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice.  I hear they are solid shooters.
Now you know that leverguns are like popcorn or potato chips don't you?  You can't just stop at one.  I started with a new Henry H001 22lr in March of 2009.  I thought I'd try just one after getting rid of my Winchester and Marlin 30-30 some 35 years ago.  I thought that a 22lr would scratch the itch and that would be that.  I was happy with my ARs, M1As, etc.  Now it's 2015 and things haven't gone like I thought.

In May 2009, I just had to get another levergun, something with some 'pop' to see if I could shoot it out to 300yds at our steel.  So, after a lot of reading I settled upon a new Rossi 357mag M92 rifle and fell in love, then I had to have a carbine so in August 2009, I picked up a new Rossi 357mag M92 carbine so I'd have a set. Of course, you have to get a SA pistol to go with so I also picked up a Uberti Cattleman in 357mag in a Cavalry barrel length (7½") and holster rig because I was in the 3rd and 4th Cav. in the Army and thought I was through.

However, I had this itch that kept at me so before I knew it, in April 2012, I weakened and bought a new Mossberg 30-30 464 because everyone has to have a 30-30 even though they aren't much use out here in the west with our long range and open country.  Being weak, in August 2012, I found a 1959 Winchester .308 Model 88 which was a rifle I'd been casually looking for for 20 years.  It is a beautiful design and the last levergun Winchester made.  My 1959 model was unfired from a widow and she gave me a 'you can't pass it up price'.

Now, really hooked, in April 2013, I accidentally bought a new Uberti 1873 45 Colt Special Sporting Rifle.  I say accidentally because I watched a gun broker auction and no one bid on this beautiful rifle.  During the auction I had emailed the seller asking a technical question to which he responded.  A couple hours after the auction ended I email him back with a low ball offer explaining he was off the hook from paying the auction house commission and thinking I wouldn't hear from him again.  Low and behold, the next morning I had an email accepting my offer!  

What could I do?  It was fate so I bought it.  All summer I shot my 1873 but in the back of my mind I debated with myself.  You see, I have a M1 Garand and a M1 Carbine; a A4 AR and a AR carbine; a Rossi rifle and Rossi carbine; and I had a 1873 rifle,  In January 2014, I succumbed to my addiction and bought a new Uberti 1866 45 Colt Yellowboy carbine. Of course, I also had to get a Uberti Cattleman pistol in 45 Colt and holster rig to go with so I found a new SAA version. Finally in October 2014, after reading and rereading the debates about the Winchester 88 and Savage 99 and how they were both such great rifles, I caved again and bought a 1949 300 Savage Savage Model 99 in excellent condition.
I'm tickled as heck with all of them and handload and shoot them all.  I'm definitely hooked on leverguns and now they are my favorite play guns.  Both my 88 and 99 are scoped and very accurate out at 200yds.  I shoot my Mossberg out that far too with stock iron sights and with a tang target aperture and globe front sight on my Rossi rifle, I shoot that 357mag out at 300yds at bowling pins!  

So you see that what started out as a single little 22lr levergun has (so far) evolved to 8 leverguns in 22lr, 357mag, 45 Colt, 30-30, 300 Savage, and .308!  Who knows where I'll end up as I'm searching now for a little known Marlin Model 62 levergun in 30 Carbine!  

It's a sickness, not a hobby!!  You've been warned . . . . . .

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ain't that the truth!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Next you will catch Marlinitus.....nice pick up!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth!

Aye

When one starts finding deals and getting some nice levers.. before you know it you have 3 or 4.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to Real Lever Life!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Better than Remlinitus!!

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:25:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice choice, we have two Henry Big Boys in .45 Colt and they are easily the sweetest lever actions I've ever shot.  I've shot several different lever guns and my Henry rifles beat them all, even my Winchester 94 (which I love).
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Thanks to all above for the good vibes.

Haven't shot it yet, but can't wait to get it out.

Can I shoot all ammo types (SP, HP, wadcutters, etc) or should I just shoot straight ball?  I know some people use them for hunting, so I'd imagine HP/SP are okay.  but if I'm wrong, somebody please square me away.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Can I shoot all ammo types (SP, HP, wadcutters, etc) or should I just shoot straight ball?  I know some people use them for hunting, so I'd imagine HP/SP are okay.  but if I'm wrong, somebody please square me away.

View Quote

i had mine out yesterday and had a blast- ran FMJ, SP, HP with zero problems. Though i would first use FMJ and break her in a little since its a brand new gun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#11]
i really like the big boys. started off with a 45, then picked up one in 44 and then finally(but not finally) one in 357. the 44magnum is far and away my favorite with the 45 second. i have had that 357 for several years now(was bought right after henry moved to nj) and not fired it yet. at this point it's going to wait for my daughter to come of age.....she was born this past fall. i have recently decided that i need one of their brass receivered 30-30s.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:54:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can shoot whatever you like out of it, they are built to handle anything, power wise and reliability wise.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 I have this, got 2 of them and love to shoot them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top