Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2014 10:58:28 AM EDT
I'm just wondering if 2-3 year wait times are justified for these rifles.

http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/big-horn-armory-products/model-89-carbine-500-sandw-2/

It appears that they've got plenty of satisfied customers from their webpage.

They take $600 deposits and then make you wait several years for a rifle.

Are they worth the wait?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#1]
For me, they wouldn't be worth it, but that's a subjective thing. They're beautiful looking things, and I'm a levergun junkie.

But looking at their 'ballistics with factory loads' page, the gains with the .500 over a more-easily found .454 wouldn't be near enough of a gain to sway me. They show most loads running 2600-3600 ft/lbs; I get up to 3100 with the .454, which is frankly already more than I honestly need for anything.

At roughly $3k by the time magnaporting is added, is it worth it? Not to me personally. On any objective level the amount of the gains don't make it worthwhile, and on a subjective, personal level I have no reason to want a gun in either of their two calibers. But if a guy already shot the .460 or .500 calibers, or if a guy just wanted one because he wanted one, it could certainly be worth it to him.

And if I knew a guy who had one, I'd certainly ask if I could shoot it...
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never seen one in person so I cannot really attest to their quality but.... If I could afford one I would certainly order one.  A two or three year wait for a custom made rifle (or handgun) is not unusual.  A low volume manufacturer is similar to a custom shop, I think that you should go for it if you have the money and the interest.  If you decide later that you don't want it, I suspect that you could easily resell it and get your money back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top