Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2014 10:25:12 AM EDT
I think I'm in the market for a 30-30 lever action and need some help.  I want to keep it open sights and will use it as a brush gun / something to toss in the side by side to drive around with.

I was fingering a Henry Repeating Arms 30-30 last weekend at my LGS that felt nice, the action was very smooth.

My buddy has an older Marlin that I really like but I've hear the new ones are crap, is this true?

I'd prefer to get a new rifle as the three LGS's in my area don't have a huge selection of used guns (at least not lever actions).

Please advise.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Currently you have, as options for a new 30-30 levergun, the following:

Winchester Model 94 family
:
Marlin Model 336 family:
Henry 30-30 family:
Mossberg 464 family:
Each has it's fans and each has it's detractors.  It's a matter of personal taste, expected use (scope vs iron sights), and budget.  The Winchesters are slim, trim, light, and the original, however, they are expensive, and don't have the tightest actions or crispest triggers and many dislike their rebounding trigger.  The Marlins are now made by Remington and currently have quite a rap against them concerning quality control.  Further, many don't like the thick stock and forearms but they are d&t for those who want to scope their levergun.  They have a cross-bolt safety that allows for a tang rear sight mount.
The Henrys are smooth and well finished but weigh more than the others. Further, they don't have a side loading gate, so they must be loaded like a 22lr; something that annoys many.  Finally, the Mossbergs are light and trim like the Winchesters but have a tight action and decent trigger even though it's a rebounding design like the Winchester's.  Their design includes a rear strap over the receiver and are d&t for scope mounting. Further, they have a recoil pad so they are comfortable to shoot for many.
Check out each website above and look over the specs, models, and features for each, then go to a 'funstore' and actually handle , shoulder, cycle, and dry fire each.  That way you'll be able to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the options and make an informed choice of which one works for you.  Personally, I've owned a new 1961 Winchester Model '94 and a new 1963 Marlin 336 back in the '60s but sold off each because they didn't suit me at the time.  I currently own a new (in 2012) Mossberg 464 with a walnut stock and pistol grip that I'm pleased with.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, the above pretty much sums it up.

I know you want to buy a new rifle, but there are scads of Winchester '94 Rangers out there with low round counts and low price tags. One of those would be my first choice; they are much slimmer and lighter than the Marlins or Rossis, and, being Angle Eject models, are D&T already. This makes replacing the open sights with XS ghost ring rear / white stripe front an easy proposition. IMO, that's all that need be done with them.
Caveat: I have not yet run across any of the Mossbergs, so cannot comment.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]
model 94
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

:

Marlin Model 336 family:

Henry 30-30 family:

Mossberg 464 family:

Each has it's fans and each has it's detractors.  It's a matter of personal taste, expected use (scope vs iron sights), and budget.  The Winchesters are slim, trim, light, and the original, however, they are expensive, and don't have the tightest actions or crispest triggers and many dislike their rebounding trigger.  The Marlins are now made by Remington and currently have quite a rap against them concerning quality control.  Further, many don't like the thick stock and forearms but they are d&t for those who want to scope their levergun.  They have a cross-bolt safety that allows for a tang rear sight mount.

The Henrys are smooth and well finished but weigh more than the others. Further, they don't have a side loading gate, so they must be loaded like a 22lr; something that annoys many.  Finally, the Mossbergs are light and trim like the Winchesters but have a tight action and decent trigger even though it's a rebounding design like the Winchester's.  Their design includes a rear strap over the receiver and are d&t for scope mounting. Further, they have a recoil pad so they are comfortable to shoot for many.

Check out each website above and look over the specs, models, and features for each, then go to a 'funstore' and actually handle , shoulder, cycle, and dry fire each.  That way you'll be able to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the options and make an informed choice of which one works for you.  Personally, I've owned a new 1961 Winchester Model '94 and a new 1963 Marlin 336 back in the '60s but sold off each because they didn't suit me at the time.  I currently own a new (in 2012) Mossberg 464 with a walnut stock and pistol grip that I'm pleased with.

View Quote

Don't forget the Rossi Rio Grande I picked one up NIB for $267 from Wallyworld this summer on closeout. It's similar to Marlin with better bluing but with lower quality wood
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
A used Marlin 336 is damn cheap to buy used.

I picked up two in the last couple years for a song.  I *think* I have under 225 in each and one of them came with 500rnds of ammo.  Factory boxed ammo.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
model 94
View Quote

Used ones are everywhere.  I wouldn't buy a new one and would stay clear of the "Henry" abominations.  

I was lucky to find an unfired 94 at an estate sale.  $350.    It is now 'fired'.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Don't forget the Rossi Rio Grande I picked one up NIB for $267 from Wallyworld this summer on closeout. It's similar to Marlin with better bluing but with lower quality wood

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

:

Marlin Model 336 family:

Henry 30-30 family:

Mossberg 464 family:

Yep I bought one this weekend for $317 at walmart. Went there for a Marlin but it was OOS so I said screw it and bought the Rossi. Haven't fired it yet but the bluing is very nice and the action seems smooth.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I gambled on a new Remington made Marlin and am extremely satisfied with it. General consensus is that the Marlins made over the past year are MUCH better than after the acquisition.

I went for a 336 Youth because of the 16.25" barrel and shorter LOP stock. It is the perfect size for a handy brush gun.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry, sorry, sorry!!!  I had a feeling I was forgetting one but couldn't think of one.  And I have two Rossi 357mags so I should have remembered.  

A question about the Rio Grande.  Does it have the same thick stock as the Marlins?

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had a Marlin but love the 94.  As said, light, slim, etc.  Joy to carry, and its the gun I carry when I don't feel like carrying a rifle - sort of M1 carbine like.  Killed an 8 pt last week because I was going to walk through the woods with my 7yr olds on opening day and figured I wouldn't see anything anyway so just grabbed to light, handy 94.  30-30 dropped it like a rock.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:31:16 AM EDT
[#11]
FIL has the Mossberg 464, the model with checkering on the semi-pistol-grip and forearm.

Seems pretty nice, actually. Fairly slick-feeling, but some of that seems to come from the action being a little loose too.

I wish I had a line on an older, pre-safety, Winchester 94 (a buddy has one that's one of the last pre-WW2 examples made--the lucky bastage), but I might go for the Mossberg as a semi-substitute.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sorry, sorry, sorry!!!  I had a feeling I was forgetting one but couldn't think of one.  And I have two Rossi 357mags so I should have remembered.  

A question about the Rio Grande.  Does it have the same thick stock as the Marlins?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are asking about the forend  - not checkered and not as wide as the Marlin's,  the buttstock is about the same dimensions (slightly thinner at the wrist) as the marlin just not checkered.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Going with open sights - I think I'd look for a used Winchester; light and portable.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Find a Marlin 30TK.  Great gun. Only made for 3 years, sort of a 30-30 Guide Gun. Balance is awesome.

eta- 0ne on GB right now
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Find a Marlin 30TK.  Great gun. Only made for 3 years, sort of a 30-30 Guide Gun. Balance is awesome.
View Quote

Good choice, even better would be a Glenfield 30GT. (Glenfield Texan)

OP, just an FYI, straight gripped Marlin 30-30's are called "Texans".

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Model 94 trapper-30-30.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:18:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Mossberg 464 and a 1981 Marlin 336.  The Marlin is a nicer rifle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have a Mossberg 464 and a 1981 Marlin 336.  The Marlin is a nicer rifle.
View Quote

I agree that most older rifles are better made than the new breed, however, a new Remlin 336 won't hold a candle to your 1981 model.  The OP is asking about new versions and that's why I recommend a Mossberg over the Remlin.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top