Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2014 10:08:12 PM EDT
Howdy,

Just picked up a lever gun on a trade. It's a Rossi Marked, Navy Arms rifle. From my best guess, a M92. Seems to have a 20" octagon barrel, chambered in .45 colt, has nice wood stocks, and the receiver and butt plate are a steel finished with that rainbow-esque finish. Has a six digit serial number starting with NA... any suggestions where to go for an age and a price? It'll probably go towards a 1911 anyway, but if I like how it shoots I'll keep it. I tried Rossi's serial number search but no records there. It also has no safety, just half cock.

Thanks

Looks nearly dead nuts similar to this one:
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#1]
They can be great guns. I shot one in 44-40 for a few years when I gave Cowboy Action shooting a try. Mine was very accurate and fun to shoot. They work best, IME,  after about 200-300 round break in. (Don't most guns though). They seem to be well made, and I rarely ever saw them in for repairs. Shoot, enjoy, repeat.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They can be great guns. I shot one in 44-40 for a few years when I gave Cowboy Action shooting a try. Mine was very accurate and fun to shoot. They work best, IME,  after about 200-300 round break in. (Don't most guns though). They seem to be well made, and I rarely ever saw them in for repairs. Shoot, enjoy, repeat.
View Quote

10-4. Haven't got the chance to shoot it yet, just got a box with it, but it seems tight, not an expert on "nicer" firearms, all mine are users, but the wood and finish are really nice on this one. Sights, suck, but I'm used to combat sights.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got 2 Rossis; both a 24" Rifle (yours is called a Short Rifle) and a
20" Carbine in 357mag and
they are slick shooting, strong actioned, fun guns.  Navy Arms had Rossi make some nicer finished, walnut stocked versions so you got a good one.  If, after shooting it, you
want to slick up your action and lighten up the trigger, Steve's Gunz
sells a DIY action kit and DvD for $58 which does a great job with the
rifle.  I shows you how to reduce some of the spring pressures and smooth
out the action to make your rifle last longer and hold a couple more rds in the tube as well.  In addition, his kit has both a
reduced power ejector spring so you won't be throwing you spent brass
into the next county and a steel mag follower to replace the plastic one Rossi uses.
I've done 3 action/trigger jobs using Steve's parts and Dvd on both of mine and a neighbor's and the job is easy and enjoyable to do as well as well worth your time.  Rossi, like many manufactures these days, doesn't spend a bunch of time slicking up the innards and relies upon over springing the actions to make them function.  This puts excess pressure on the actions and will result in excessive wear over time.  Steve's DvD and parts shows you how to fix this simply.
The Rossi's Winchester '92 action is STRONG!  You can load up 45 Colts at Ruger only levels and not even phase your rifle as they chamber the Rossis in 454 Casull.  Besides strong, they are also pretty accurate to.  If you want better sights, you can opt for a Marbles rear and 1/16" bead front sight to give you a finer sight picture or if you prefer, you can add a folding rear and tang sight (your tang is already threaded for the second hole for the sight) which both increases the sight radius by a lot and gives you an opportunity to use a small, .040" aperture which with increase your Depth of Field considerably.

I shoot my 158grn 357mag handloads through my rifle with a tang and globe front sight all the out to 300yds.  An 8" plate at 200yds is simple to hit and a 6" plate at 100yds is simple too.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got 2 Rossis; both a 24" Rifle (yours is called a Short Rifle) and a 20" Carbine in 357mag and they are slick shooting, strong actioned, fun guns.  Navy Arms had Rossi make some nicer finished, walnut stocked versions so you got a good one.  If, after shooting it, you want to slick up your action and lighten up the trigger, Steve's Gunz sells a DIY action kit and DvD for $58 which does a great job with the rifle.  I shows you how to reduce some of the spring pressures and smooth out the action to make your rifle last longer and hold a couple more rds in the tube as well.  In addition, his kit has both a reduced power ejector spring so you won't be throwing you spent brass into the next county and a steel mag follower to replace the plastic one Rossi uses.

I've done 3 action/trigger jobs using Steve's parts and Dvd on both of mine and a neighbor's and the job is easy and enjoyable to do as well as well worth your time.  Rossi, like many manufactures these days, doesn't spend a bunch of time slicking up the innards and relies upon over springing the actions to make them function.  This puts excess pressure on the actions and will result in excessive wear over time.  Steve's DvD and parts shows you how to fix this simply.

The Rossi's Winchester '92 action is STRONG!  You can load up 45 Colts at Ruger only levels and not even phase your rifle as they chamber the Rossis in 454 Casull.  Besides strong, they are also pretty accurate to.  If you want better sights, you can opt for a Marbles rear and 1/16" bead front sight to give you a finer sight picture or if you prefer, you can add a folding rear and tang sight (your tang is already threaded for the second hole for the sight) which both increases the sight radius by a lot and gives you an opportunity to use a small, .040" aperture which with increase your Depth of Field considerably.

I shoot my 158grn 357mag handloads through my rifle with a tang and globe front sight all the out to 300yds.  An 8" plate at 200yds is simple to hit and a 6" plate at 100yds is simple too.

View Quote

Thanks for the extra information.

Going away from the cowboy gun purist, I need a way to mount a small rail on this, to be able to have a light on it. Will basically be the go to farm varmint gun for me if I like it, so looking for some light. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Going away from the cowboy gun purist, I need a way to mount a small rail on this, to be able to have a light on it. Will basically be the go to farm varmint gun for me if I like it, so looking for some light. Any suggestions?

View Quote

I haven't done one, however, there are many who've tried various designs.  Check out these threads:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=47&t=388742

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22737

http://ingunowners.com/forums/long-guns/115623-levergun-practical-but-its-also-tactical-3.html

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't done one, however, there are many who've tried various designs.  Check out these threads:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=47&t=388742

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22737

http://ingunowners.com/forums/long-guns/115623-levergun-practical-but-its-also-tactical-3.html

Thanks for the links!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top