Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2014 3:34:55 PM EDT
Tell me about this rifle...Henry sent me one of their catalogs.....and I spotted the .45-70...now I "need" one......my questions are...are they strong enough to handle to stout loads, [I reload] and is the quality there...or should I just try to nail down a Marlin?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#1]
To me, the lack of a loading gate on the Henry is a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To me, the lack of a loading gate on the Henry is a deal breaker.
View Quote

But, the Henry is so shiny.  

I want one too, but I never noticed that.  Thanks for the heads-up.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#3]
i can live without the loading gate on a pistol cartridge lever.. but not a rifle round.

If its not a deal breaker for you - expect great quality, Customer service, and a fine rifle.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i can live without the loading gate on a pistol cartridge lever.. but not a rifle round.

If its not a deal breaker for you - expect great quality, Customer service, and a fine rifle.
View Quote

Absolutely....I have a Golden Boy  that is a great little rifle....just doing some comparisons....and I have heard that Marlin is having some quality issues as of late....I would like the loading gate...but if the quality is not there...I will buy where it is....and I know the Henry would be a great rifle.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I  have a big boy and golden boy.. love both.

As for marlin - marlin pre- Remington if you can find it. I wouldn't touch a new one. IMO not worth the flip of a coin to get a decent one. At least until they have a proven recent history of making the quality gun they used to before Remington took over.

As for being so shiney.. not seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCF8G9Y3LNs
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#6]
okay   just visited a LGS....bought a couple pounds of Varget  they had both rifles on the shelf...so I was able to do a side by side comparison......quality wise, the Henry has it all over the Marlin, the action on the Marlin was gritty and felt like it was grinding metal...whereas, the action on the Henry was smooth as silk, wood fit was much cleaner on the Henry and not "proud" against the metal, as it was on the Marlin. only question left is.....will the Henry handle hotrodded loads?..if that is so....I will most definitely be buying the Henry.   not from this particular shop however.....charging MSRP
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I  have a big boy and golden boy.. love both.

As for marlin - marlin pre- Remington if you can find it. I wouldn't touch a new one. IMO not worth the flip of a coin to get a decent one. At least until they have a proven recent history of making the quality gun they used to before Remington took over.

As for being so shiney.. not seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCF8G9Y3LNs
View Quote

thanks...that answers the final question.......looks like I'm getting the Henry for Christmas.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe the Henry has the same action as the Marlin.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Damnit !!  -- After watching Jeff and Boge quinn's video , - i want one too        -------  I already have a nice ported Guide from 98 or 99, but i could leave it scoped and this one open sights !  

Would like to see how their quality stacks up against a Miroku Winchester 1886 though -- although those rifles cost a bit more
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#10]
grabagun.com has em for 630-650 + 6$ shipping
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:18:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
grabagun.com has em for 630-650 + 6$ shipping
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:10:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I would suspect the Henry will be very similar in strength to the Marlin, which is not as strong as the Winchester 1886, which is not as strong as some single-shots, so it probably can't take the very hottest loads (Ruger No. 1-type loads) but will likely be able to handle anything a Marlin can, which will pretty much do anything you need done with a .45-70. I would contact Henry for confirmation, if they don't have the info on their website. They are pretty responsive. That is better than assuming, anyway.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#13]
With brand new .45-70's, I'd go with the Henry.
All the Marlin's of late that I've handled in the LGS feel like two cinder blocks rubbing together.
Now that Marlin1895 I got back in 1978, smoother than butter. But you would have to fight my son for it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Wife unit gave the okay...I will be ordering the Henry.  It'll make a nice "opposite" of my Sharps '74...also in 45-70.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wife unit gave the okay...I will be ordering the Henry.  It'll make a nice "opposite" of my Sharps '74...also in 45-70.
View Quote

:)

Don't forget to show her off when she comes in. (the rifle that is)
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Ordered...should have it in the next week or so.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I've written off a 45-70 for now because the ammo is just to high, and I want something I can actually shoot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've written off a 45-70 for now because the ammo is just to high, and I want something I can actually shoot.
View Quote

I reload....and already load .45-70. so I have the components on hand.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#19]
It arrived today [no pics yet] very nice rifle...can't wait to shoot it...and a big Thanks to Spaxspore for turning me on to grabagun.com....I will definitely be using them again.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It arrived today [no pics yet] very nice rifle...can't wait to shoot it...and a big Thanks to Spaxspore for turning me on to grabagun.com....I will definitely be using them again.
View Quote

Good deal; glad it went smoothly. I have had 3 or 4 purchases from them all well below market and fast Cheap shipping.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#21]
OP have u shot it? I to am looking at the Henry.

Look at one at lgs. I reload so wonder if it can handle "marlin" load's?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP have u shot it? I to am looking at the Henry.

Look at one at lgs. I reload so wonder if it can handle "marlin" load's?
View Quote

I've not fired it yet....but from what I understand it will handle the heavy loads.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank Op .

Went to YOUTUBE looked at a video from "gunblast" .

We be getting one soon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thank Op .

Went to YOUTUBE looked at a video from "gunblast" .

We be getting one soon.
View Quote

That's the video that convinced me...
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#25]
What still no pic's you know the rules
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What still no pic's you know the rules
View Quote

been busy.....I will get pics up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top