Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 9:34:33 PM EDT
While zeroing a new scope on my 1975 336c, I shot a few groups at 200 yards to analyze the drops from a 100 yard zero.  I wanted to see what my field holdovers would be on deer in the event I found myself with the levergun instead of the bolt action on a hunt and now I know.  Hopefully some of you will find this information helpful.  

barrel length: 20"
ammo: 150 gr. federal powershok 30-30
zero distance:  100 yards
bullet drop @ 200 yards:  ~11 inches
avg. group size @  100 yards:  2"/ 3-shot groups
avg. group size @ 200 yards:  7"/ 3-shot groups
scope: bushnell elite 1.25-4x 30mm tube
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I dunno about 200 yards with a 30-30.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not saying its optimal but if I were presented with a shot at a deer at 200yds, I would take it if I had enough field support.

JBM ballistics calls for (1547fps. for a 150gr flat nose .30 cal. @ 200yards)  This is with a muzzle velocity input of 2200 fps which is about 200 fps slower than the advertised velocity of the 150gr powershok ammo.
Essentially it would be akin to shooting the deer at point blank range with a .357 magnum.  I'll take those odds...
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

What don't you know about it? Whether it would work at that range? It's still packing considerably more energy at that range than most magnum handguns loads  do at the muzzle and also more than or equal to AR15's flavor of the month cartridges; the 6.8 and .300 BLK.

That's a pretty ho hum load for the .30-30 as well. Compare that Federal load with a Hornady LE with a pointed 160 gr. @ 2400 fps or a Winchester Power Point 150 gr. @ almost 2500 fps.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What don't you know about it? Whether it would work at that range? It's still packing considerably more energy at that range than most magnum handguns loads  do at the muzzle and also more than or equal to AR15's flavor of the month cartridges; the 6.8 and .300 BLK.

That's a pretty ho hum load for the .30-30 as well. Compare that Federal load with a Hornady LE with a pointed 160 gr. @ 2400 fps or a Winchester Power Point 150 gr. @ almost 2500 fps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been shooting a 30-30 for 39 years now. I am fully aware of capabilities. I also understand that most shooters never practice past 100 yards. if you spend some range time at those distances. go for it.
one thing I have noticed over the years is a lot of people don't understand how far 200+ yards really is and a 30-30 starts to wain and drop pretty well at those distances.

I am not fan of the LE loads.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've been shooting a 30-30 for 39 years now. I am fully aware of capabilities. I also understand that most shooters never practice past 100 yards. if you spend some range time at those distances. go for it.
one thing I have noticed over the years is a lot of people don't understand how far 200+ yards really is and a 30-30 starts to wain and drop pretty well at those distances.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, so it seems like you're saying that It's a software (training/practice) problem rather than a hardware (gun/ammunition) problem. That very well may be the case with some people. Hunters that stalk dense woods may never see a 100 yard shot, much less a 200 yard one.

I just wanted to clarify for those reading this and considering a .30-30 Winchester for a hunting rifle or doubting the capabilities of a rifle they already own. Most of the Marlins I've owned or handled will print around 1.5" @ 100 yards. Some will print under 1" with the right ammunition. That is firing a three shot group. They seem to heat up quickly and vertical stringing takes over much after that. I believe the barrel band is credited with being the culprit. Regardless, three rounds is more than adequate for most any hunting situation we may ever encounter.

The very common and inexpensive Federal 150 gr. flat points will have a 4.2" drop at 200 yards if zeroed at 150 yards. At 100 yards, the impact will only be 1.5" high. The Hornady Leverevolution ammo is even more impressive. I'm not seeing the drop off that you mention in your post. It's not a 7mm mag, but 200 yards with common ammo and 250 with the Hornady LE stuff is perfectly doable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top