Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 3:24:09 PM EDT
For you owners of the 1895 sbl or similar models. What have you done to them? Ammo pouches on the stock? Scopes? Red dots? What do you use your 45-70 for? I am looking to get one for deer and bear and set it up with lower powered optic for shorter range shooting (250 and in). What is the general opinion of the 1895sbl from owners? Love 'em? Hate 'em? Thanks for the opinions and any pictures would be great
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Leupold compact scope in an DNZ mount,Limbsaver grind to fit recoil pad and a sling is all I have done to my 1895GS.

Mostly just a range toy, but I have taken it hunting for deer but haven't killed one with it yet.

For my area of FL it's way over kill for deer but I would love to use it on hogs, but have no private land to hunt on.

I have seen a couple of hogs on state land where I hunt ,but it's not taken over with them like other places in FL.

Same gun just different picture.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice, I'm sure the limb saver is a good addition. Are those Randalls or blackjacks in the top picture? Either way they go well with the rifle
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice, I'm sure the limb saver is a good addition. Are those Randalls or blackjacks in the top picture? Either way they go well with the rifle
View Quote

The recoil pad was the best money spent on that rifle,the stock pad felt like it had a steel bar or something in it and hurt like a mother fucker when I shot it. I'm not a small guy and have been shooting for over 30 years but for some reason the stock pad was a shoulder killer for me. It's a really fun rifle to shoot now.

The larger knife is a Randall the smaller is an Al Polkowski custom.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh god I love my 1895. You have no idea.

The only thing I did was a velcroed shell holder on the stock and a skinner receiver sight. I had a pretty awesome scope on it and it was shooting 1/2moa with it, but I decided the scope violated the spirit of the rifle, so off it went.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Bill, that gun looks clean how do you like the leverrevolution loads? If I'm correct on that being what's in the ammo holder.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bill, that gun looks clean how do you like the leverrevolution loads? If I'm correct on that being what's in the ammo holder.
View Quote

I really like them. They shoot flatter than any other load I've used. It's funny though, they are significantly cheaper than the standard stuff, 28 bucks a box compared to 40, so they they have become my plinking load when I want to shoot .45-70.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I really like them. They shoot flatter than any other load I've used. It's funny though, they are significantly cheaper than the standard stuff, 28 bucks a box compared to 40, so they they have become my plinking load when I want to shoot .45-70.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only downside to the Levervolution stuff I have found in .45-70 is the cases are shorter than standard .45-70 cases.... as such, they need to be kept separate for reloading and charges of powder adjusted for the smaller volume.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Low power variable optic. Back up Lyman receiver sight.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried a 2.5x Leupold in a DNZ mount, but preferred XS sights or the Williams Ace in the Hole.  No need for another recoil pad as it comes with a Pachmayr Decelerator.  Leverevolutions are fun to shoot, but can fragment which isn't desirable to me in a hunting round.  I love the 405 gr Remingtons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_wlmolBavQ
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the XS sights, very clean.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Only downside to the Levervolution stuff I have found in .45-70 is the cases are shorter than standard .45-70 cases....

View Quote
That and they are not as good for dangerous animals like bear. They are fairly soft and expand, so they are great for deer and caribou and moose, but there are much better projectiles for penetration on an animal like a bear.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:41:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That and they are not as good for dangerous animals like bear. They are fairly soft and expand, so they are great for deer and caribou and moose, but there are much better projectiles for penetration on an animal like a bear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only downside to the Levervolution stuff I have found in .45-70 is the cases are shorter than standard .45-70 cases....

Good point.
I roll my own ammo and heavily prefer the Remington 405gr JSP bullet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:26:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I tried a 2.5x Leupold in a DNZ mount, but preferred XS sights or the Williams Ace in the Hole.  No need for another recoil pad as it comes with a Pachmayr Decelerator.  Leverevolutions are fun to shoot, but can fragment which isn't desirable to me in a hunting round.  I love the 405 gr Remingtons.

http://i57.tinypic.com/34436mu.jpg

View Quote

Nice video! Is that the SBL with the rail that it comes with removed?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i57.tinypic.com/34436mu.jpg

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#15]
My 1895G gun has been re'-finished to a more durable finish to handle the weather condition in Alaska, wears a Leupold 1x5 scope, and a cheek rest so that it is easier to use the scope.  As for ammo, I reload all of my own using either 405 cast for general plinking or the 430 gas check from Oregon Trails for hunting.  The 405's are somewhat mild and can be fun to shoot, however the 430's are traveling at close to 2000 fps and they tend to be a 'hand full'!  I am still wanting to take bears with mine, but I have to be content with two bison and one moose so far.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Only thing I did to my GBL was to add a 1.25" Montana sling, changed out the rear sight for a Williams FP-336-TK and put a Marbles blank in the rear sight dovetail.  Have it so I can shoot hotter loads than what my H&R Trapdoor Officers model will handle.  I purchased it about 3 months ago and was pleased with the fit and finish.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:32:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got an Aimpoint micro mounted on mine using a LaRue low mount.  I love the way this gun handle and shoots. I also switched out the stock and forearm for Walnut versions.  I just never liked this grey/greenish stuff.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've got an Aimpoint micro mounted on mine using a LaRue low mount.  I love the way this gun handle and shoots. I also switched out the stock and forearm for Walnut versions.  I just never liked this grey/greenish stuff.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l133/mjpjr45/Guns/IMG_1687_zps85744357.jpg

View Quote

nice set up. Is the walnut available from marlin or did you buy it from an aftermarket company?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I got it from Midway.  The forearm was in stock and came in quickly, the stock was back ordered and took a while.  Midway was about the only place I could find this stock. Lots of places had ones similar to the OP's stock, but I wanted the "pistol grip" version, since that is what mine came with originally.

Looks like they are back ordered again.

Forearms in stock

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#20]
On Marlins (JM's only), I like Williams peep sights and Cobra slings. Rossies, I've been using Marbles tang sights. I only have one winchester, a pre-64, I leave that one as is as it's mint and a safe queen. Here are some of them.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Only downside to the Levervolution stuff I have found in .45-70 is the cases are shorter than standard .45-70 cases.... as such, they need to be kept separate for reloading and charges of powder adjusted for the smaller volume.
View Quote

Yea, I had to trash the brass once I shot them and discovered they used non-standard length cases. As such, I have developed a much nastier 300gr load running the combined technologies ballistic silvertip running 2350 fps. I think it will do the trick :D

Here is mine. Glass is a Nikon African 1-4x, cartridges are the above mentioned load.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#22]
well I was at the local gun store last Saturday picking up a glock 17 and decided to go ahead and put the 1895 sbl on lay away because it was the last one they had in stock and the manager said he had a tough time getting the last ones he ordered. Will go back and pick it up in a few weeks and report back with pictures and a range report.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#23]

heres mine hopeing I see a buck thanksgiving week
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#24]

got it, zeroed the open sights with 405 grain Remington jacketed soft points. Very accurate! Also has the same point of impact with PRVI parrizan 405 grain JSP. Have a vortex crossfire II with illuminated reticle on the way. Took it hunting this morning but no luck
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#25]
NICE Its a great rifle !!!! Enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Here ae mine, 444P Outfitter and 1895G Guide Gun. I would like to add a full mag tube GBL or SBL.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#27]
A bit non traditional , but i like the full 3-9x40 scope on my Guide Gun --- i just put it on one hunting season because i didnt have the cash for a Leupold 2-7 , -- it worked fine and i like to dial in the magnification to get closer looks at shooting lanes, rack sizes if i am watching deer, etc.  ---   5 years later, it is still on there
    Why mess with success --- it is zeroed with one load , -- i check zero every year ,

I have added a thick El Paso Saddlery sling just to tote it in and out of the woods

I have many rifles -- this is the onle one i have used in 5 years -- usually with the Hornady FTX load --- if i take it elk or bear hunting, i will dial in something more suitable for bigger stuff, - but i like it and its trajectory for deer

Its not a plinker for me - i have rifles that are loads more "fun" to shoot -- but it is darned effective for its uses -

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Streetstar, nice looking set up. I agree definitely not a plinker though.
I zeroed my open sights and will zero my scope when it arrives and those two will probably be the most I ever shoot them in one sitting
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A bit non traditional , but i like the full 3-9x40 scope on my Guide Gun --- i just put it on one hunting season because i didnt have the cash for a Leupold 2-7 , -- it worked fine and i like to dial in the magnification to get closer looks at shooting lanes, rack sizes if i am watching deer, etc.  ---   5 years later, it is still on there
    Why mess with success --- it is zeroed with one load , -- i check zero every year ,
View Quote

I also have several centerfire hunting rifles, some scoped, some non-scoped.  While I prefer 4x and under on my leverguns; I am a firm believer in shooters setting up their rifles so that they work for them, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Streetstar, I think that your rifle looks like a hunting rifle!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Got my scope mounted and put one on the ground this morning
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/sovaprepper/media/Mobile%20Uploads/utf-8BSU1BRzA0NzhfMS5qcGc_zps8d2cde58.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/sovaprepper/Mobile%20Uploads/utf-8BSU1BRzA0NzhfMS5qcGc_zps8d2cde58.jpg</a>

View Quote

Awsome!  Congrats
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/sovaprepper/media/Mobile%20Uploads/utf-8BSU1BRzA0NzhfMS5qcGc_zps8d2cde58.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/sovaprepper/Mobile%20Uploads/utf-8BSU1BRzA0NzhfMS5qcGc_zps8d2cde58.jpg</a>

View Quote

We'll done!  Nice dear and great rifle!  What ammo did you use?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was using Remington express 405 grain jacketed soft points. I want to try some of the Winchester silver tip hollow points but they are hard to find
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#34]
The Remington 405 SP over IMR 4895 has been the magic for my 1895 for years. [Just shy of 1800fps]  Mine is a Micro groove 20" barrel, oh how I wish it would throw hard lead.
I have had a Nikon Rimfire 4 power scope on it for 14 + years. Side by side it's drop and pull to my 39A Original Golden I got as a boy. A long time ago, in a place far, far away
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:53:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/sovaprepper/media/Mobile%20Uploads/utf-8BSU1BRzA0NTYuanBn_zpsee1e9fed.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/sovaprepper/Mobile%20Uploads/utf-8BSU1BRzA0NTYuanBn_zpsee1e9fed.jpg</a>
got it, zeroed the open sights with 405 grain Remington jacketed soft points. Very accurate! Also has the same point of impact with PRVI parrizan 405 grain JSP. Have a vortex crossfire II with illuminated reticle on the way. Took it hunting this morning but no luck
View Quote

Can I ask what knife that is?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I killed a big Kansas whitetail with the 45-70 leverlution ammo, then a couple of wild hogs in Texas the same year. In each case the bullet did not exit. I have never recovered a 45-70 bullet from a game animal before or since, and will never use the leverlution ammo on game again. Yes, it's accurate and looks good on paper, but terminal performance sucks.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Nice, I had a chance to buy one of those a few years ago down in Texas. I bought something else and have regretted it ever since.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:41:29 AM EDT
[#39]
This is what they are for (one shot DRT didn't take a photo of the moose)

What my friend used, my Guide gun with a 1.5x5 IR Leopold and a XS scout mount.

My favorite a Co-Pilot in .457  for carry and hunting.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/sovaprepper/media/Mobile%20Uploads/utf-8BSU1BRzA0NTYuanBn_zpsee1e9fed.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/sovaprepper/Mobile%20Uploads/utf-8BSU1BRzA0NTYuanBn_zpsee1e9fed.jpg</a>

Certainly, it is a Busse combat HG-55, a few better pictures from the hunt

At home with it's brothers

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Old18c, that take down model is very cool. Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#42]
How is the quality on the new production  Marlin 1895 SBL's?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How is the quality on the new production  Marlin 1895 SBL's?
View Quote

I have a GBL from August 14 and it's nice. I also picked up a 336Y in late 13 for a friend and it was nice too.

I know two is a small sample size but I think it's a good sign.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#44]
The reason I was asking is because I know when Remington bought Marlin out the quality took a big nose dive.

I am trying to decide to buy a Marlin or a Henry in 45/70.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The reason I was asking is because I know when Remington bought Marlin out the quality took a big nose dive.

I am trying to decide to buy a Marlin or a Henry in 45/70.

View Quote

Right. The two I have bought have been fine. I know others have had issues, but I haven't.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#46]
No issues at all with mine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top