BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Solid Forged brass on the big boy. Being one who can compare it to 130-150 year old brass henry/Winchesters the weight and the feel of the brass feels  same . . .

View Quote
I don't think the receivers on Henry rifles are pure brass, the same stuff as the 19th Century rifles, as people seem to think. The material is attracted to a magnet, so I would guess that it is might be stronger than most brass.

I am guessing that Henry probably has a stronger, more modern alloy.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Solid Forged brass on the big boy. Being one who can compare it to 130-150 year old brass henry/Winchesters the weight and the feel of the brass feels  same; only difference is the lack of 100 years of patina.

So, your just stuck a big foot in you mouth...

Trollollo...

Plated Henry Golden Boy - Made for a price consideration:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3711/11856182064_81d2d0c388_b.jpg

Forged Brass Golden Boy

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3856/14843459204_384061767b_b.jpg

Side by side:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7412/11918668536_b4341eea85_b.jpg
View Quote

Didn't know it was sold brass....too still ugly to pick up.  I don't own an real 66 or Henry but I have handled them plenty.  Not sure what the weight has to do with anything unless you mean that it is well built?  I never argue that it was not, it still looks cheesy.  I would be a lot more likely to buy a .44 mag if it was not brass.  I will buy a .22.  Either the lever or the pump.

EDIT>  The .22 lever reciever has much nicer proportions.

EDIT 2>  Trolling?  Since when is expressing an opinion trolling?  

Guys like what they like or don't like.   It is pretty silly when guys get so invested in what they like or own or don't like that start flinging poo.  That is not directed just at you Spaxspore, it probably applies to all of us.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Solid Forged brass on the big boy. Being one who can compare it to 130-150 year old brass henry/Winchesters the weight and the feel of the brass feels  same . . .
View Quote
I don't think the receivers on Henry rifles are pure brass, the same stuff as the 19th Century rifles, as people seem to think. The material is attracted to a magnet, so I would guess that it is might be stronger than most brass.

I am guessing that Henry probably has a stronger, more modern alloy.

View Quote

Ok now we are just getting a little crazy.. not pure brass... really. The forging and hardening process now is much more indepth than it was 100-150 years ago. Brass can take it and does. Its like how modern 1873s chambered in .44mag.. the toggle system is fairly weak.. but modern manufacturing and engineering it can handle it.

http://www.guns.com/review/2014/06/09/henrys-brass-beast-tamed-big-boy-357-magnum-video/

Although the Big Boy’s weight and solid-brass receiver would make carrying or hiding the gun very difficult.

The receiver is made from solid brass

http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/big-boy/

FinishSolid top brass receiver, brass buttplate and brass barrel band

Nothing there says "magical not-pure brass alloy". Its brass; its all about the initial forging and hardening of metal.

Now we are just spouting opinions based on little or no fact. I am tired of going around in circles. IF you don't like the rifle aesthetically .. thats perfectly fine. We all don't have to like the same things.

But complaining about Minutia and nit picking and making issues on things that shouldn't be issues.. is very tiresome.

Now if Henry was making quality like this :

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=6&f=47&t=429909

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1357194__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Remington_bought_Marlin__what_happened_to_Marlin_quality_.html&page=1#i35257625

I can understand.. but they don't. So bitching about nothing substantial for 5 pages  is really getting old.

I am out i said my piece you guys can continue to argue about nothing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy COW!

All I said was that I suspected that the material Henry was using was a better material than what Winchester was using in the 1860s, and likely better than waht some of the modern clones use, that's all.

I don't see that as any different than saying that the steels Miroku is currently using are better than the steels Winchester was using in 1900.

If you want to take that as an insult, I guess you can.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Received an email back from the president of Henry Repeating Arms.

On the issue of the claims to have been founded by BTH, he said that he agrees that their materials should not say that and that he intends to have it changed.

On the issue of the loading gate, he says that their rifles were not really designed for cowboy action shooting, which I understand, and that is only one market - I don't do any CAS shooting myself. They made a decision to go with a tube-loading design. As I said before, I think their potential market would greatly expand if they added a loading gate to their centerfire rifles, but they are the ones who have to do the market reseach and decide if it is worth the extra cost, or if they can get the sales they want without it.

For me, it will prevent me from buying a centerfire Henry, due to my location, purposes, and how I use a levergun.

Again, this email is a reaffirmation of their dedication to customer service. I can go to SHOT Show, speak to the president or CEO of a firearms manufacturing company, he will give me a phone number and email address because he wants to partner with a company I represent on OEM equipment, etc., and then I will never be able to contact him because he has secretaries that block me from accessing him at every turn.

It is almost unheard of for someone to email a firearms manufacturer out of the blue and get a personally written email back from the president of the company. Unless I am forgetting, I think that only with Henry and Alexander Arms has this happened to me. In all other cases, it was due to an already established business relationship.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#6]
My father in law has one that I've handled--45 colt.  It feels and looks well built but I just can't get over the lack of a loading gate.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Henry .22 mag yesterday.I shot it as soon as I got home and cant really say anything bad about it. I was looking for a .17hmr golden boy which seems to be pretty scarce. I've have a standard Henry .22, and frontier version also. All have functioned fine. I missed out when they sold the pump carbine version with the round barrel.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I did find out that they will be offering steel versions of their Big Boy line next March. That might be common knowledge though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I did find out that they will be offering steel versions of their Big Boy line next March. That might be common knowledge though.
View Quote

news to me good to hear they are starting to diversify.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
I personally like the brass recievers, but I know a lot of people who are not used to the historical aspect of leverguns are more comfortable with blued steel (or stainless). Also, I have seen a lot of comments about how the brass is too bright for hunting, which I think is basically a non-issue.

I'm guessing a steel frame will open up another segment of the market for them.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I personally like the brass recievers, but I know a lot of people who are not used to the historical aspect of leverguns are more comfortable with blued steel (or stainless). Also, I have seen a lot of comments about how the brass is too bright for hunting, which I think is basically a non-issue.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will have round barrel versions also.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Springfield Armory does the same shit and tries to imply a connection to the original Springfield Armory. But people don't bitch about it... hell, their guns are made in Brazil and Croatia.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

They will have round barrel versions also.
View Quote
This will also increase their market.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Henry .22 mag with a Heritage .22 9" barrel, with its magnum cylinder and upgraded grips.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#15]
9/28/2014
Quoted:
I will give them 30 days, because that is a realistic timeframe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

UPDATE:  It's Nov 1, and http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/golden-boy/ still says:

The Golden Boy rifle’s awesome 20-inch blued octagonal barrel, American walnut stock, brass buttplate and gleaming Brasslite receiver will transport you back to the wild and wooley days of America’s Old West, when our company founder Benjamin Tyler Henry designed the original Henry lever action rifle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm offended more by their ugly firearms than any intentional or unintentional misleading advertising. It's been a few years since I've handled one, so I checked their website just now. Yep, still ugly.

The only one that's even remotely palatable is their .22, but the cheap wood, plastic barrel band and front sight was a major turnoff as was the fake receiver plates. My 1979 Marlin Mountie makes them look like complete turds.

I'm glad new companies are making guns in the U.S. again, but Henry has nothing for me personally.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#17]
My .17hmr Golden Boy came in today, Kind of odd it has a large loop.

Its going back. I didn't even load it. I can't deal with that much of a drop in the stock. I am going to swap for a .17 frontier model.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#18]
anybody have one of the big boy 30-30's?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
9/28/2014

UPDATE:  It's Nov 1, and http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/golden-boy/ still says:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
9/28/2014
Quoted:

The Golden Boy rifle’s awesome 20-inch blued octagonal barrel, American walnut stock, brass buttplate and gleaming Brasslite receiver will transport you back to the wild and wooley days of America’s Old West, when our company founder Benjamin Tyler Henry designed the original Henry lever action rifle.

The website has been updated. I got an email from Anthony that said their web master has finally gotten around to doing it.

I wonder who it was that said corporate procedures would take X amount of time. Hmmm.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a Henry H001T, the one with the octagon barrel. It is very accurate at 25 yds, best group I have shot with it was around .25" with a scope.

But, for a center fire lever gun, the lack of a loading gate and the weight kills it for me. If I ever did need to use this gun self defense, I would like the ability to top off through the loading gate. I don't think the bad guy is gonna wait for me to pull that big long tube out to load more rounds in.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't care for the lines of their centerfire offerings. To me, they are ugly and ungainly as hell. The fact that they generally look like what the pearl handled revolver carrying pimp would carry if he had a rifle doesn't score any points with me either.....
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:31:25 AM EDT
[#22]
i would take those "reviews"/opinions with a grain of salt, i dont care what a company is named/derived from or some other BS like that, what should matter is the quality of the firearm, fit and finish and customer service.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top