Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2014 2:10:57 AM EDT
So I have had a mid 70s manufacture Model 94 in .30-30  that I haven't done much with, besides keep oiled, for about a decade.  I've been feeling like taking it out to the range again.  

After consulting some manuals online it looks like Winchester recommended only oil on contact and pivot points.  I'm looking at the rifle and thinking some of there are spots that could use some grease (tetra is my favorite).  Any thoughts on grease or no grease for the lever guns?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#1]
No real need for grease but no reason not to grease it if you want to.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Guess I'm over thinking it.  I went with some grease on the lever and floorplate where it looked like the most wear was occurring but went with oil on the rest.  The rifles lasted a lot longer with less care.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
There are no high speed metal on metal contact points like a Mil grade auto. Oil will do the trick. Grease will hold debris in the receiver, and will be harder to clean. In this application, I'm opposed to it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:00:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know how opposed to grease I am.

The Swiss use grease to clean, lube, and protect their rifles and have for many years. One thing I have noticed about old Swiss rifles is that they really don't show any rust and their bores are almost always sharp and look like mirrors.

I have been playing around with grease, and used it on a repro 1876 recently  - not heavily in the action, but lightly on all the metal. I wiped it dry, flew around with it in a case, wiped it off again, and took it out in the rain, and got almost no rust. There might be something to grease.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Old sayings become old sayings for a reason.
"If it turns,  oil it. If it slides,  grease it."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top