Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2014 2:22:34 PM EDT
Trying real hard to get all the info I can before the gun show this weekend.  

I'm looking for a lever gun and these are not comparing apples to apples but am more interested in quality/reliablity issues more than anything.

Of course the Mossberg would be in 30-30 and I'm thinking maybe the Rossi in .45 colt to go with my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt.

I have read a lot of bad reviews about both but yet others swear theirs is great. There just isn't a good overall go to for a lever gun from I can tell
without going high dollar(yeah I know you get what you pay for).  New Japan Winchesters = $$$$, Uberti=$$$$, Henry=$$$ plus I hate they load
like a .22 tube fed and not a rear load gate like EVERYBODY else.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont have any experience with the mossberg, but i recently got bit by the Rossi bug. I have a blued Rossi 92 trapper in .357. Has so far ate everything I fed it. I did the stevesgunz slick job on it. The rifle was rather slick when  I received it, but the "polishing" did make it even better. I am actually selling my Henry .357 to buy another Rossi with a  octagon barrel because I'm so happy with the function, weight, and accuracy of the rifle. I've heard the more recent Rossi's have been rid of some issues and come from the factory more slicked up that earlier models, however I have nothing to back this or disprove it. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
My Rossi 357 has been great.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Well, the Rossi 92's are PCC's (pistol caliber carbines) --- but the Mossberg 464 is a full strength rifle caliber --- so it is an apples to oranges comparison,

but given the spirit of the discussion, i would say that they are roughly equivalent --

When Mossberg introduced the 464, initially there were some QC issues,  but they seem to have cleaned up their act --- because the talk of junky Mossbergs now is nowhere near as common as the talk of junky Marlins

So if you want a 357/44/45 - the Rossi is the only way to fly in that price range, --- if you want a 30/30, the Mossberg is a viable competitor --- (but there are also thousands of used Winchesters and MArlins from days gone by that can be had for the price of a new Mossy as well with a little searching
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want an affordable pistol caliber levergun, the Rossi is perfect. I don't know of anyone else making M92  clones  in that price range.

If you wanted an affordable .30-30, I'd look for a used Winchester rather than a Mossberg.  I had considered a 464 until I found a pre-64 Winchester for $495. That's a no brainer IMHO, unless you're planning to heavily modify it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want an affordable pistol caliber levergun, the Rossi is perfect. I don't know of anyone else making M92  clones  in that price range.

If you wanted an affordable .30-30, I'd look for a used Winchester rather than a Mossberg.  I had considered a 464 until I found a pre-64 Winchester for $495. That's a no brainer IMHO, unless you're planning to heavily modify it.
View Quote

This ... And I'll add the pre Remington takeover Marlin 336 to the list of good 30-30 lever guns.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got 2ea 2009 Rossis in 357mag (rifle and carbine) with 4K+ rds through each and they are tons of fun.  I also have a 2012 Mossberg 464, walnut pistol grip version with over 300rds through it and it's fun too.  I bought all three NIB.  However, as mentioned they are apples and oranges rifles.  Rossis are pistol caliber fun-guns for plinking and varmints and the Mossberg is a 30-30 rifle caliber suitable for larger game but overkill for many smaller varmints.  While I handload for all my firearms so my costs are down low, it's still considerably more expensive to shoot 30-30 vs 357mag; about double the price per round.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one of the Rossi rifles in .45 Colt, with the 24 inch barrel.  I could not be happier with it.

Here is a photo of mine.

The Rossi in .45 Colt will handle any load your Blackhawk will and the pair will make a great combo.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two Rossi's, a 44 carbine and a .357 rifle...

If your going to go with a Rossi's, try and inspect the gun and see if you can run some snap caps though it. I would also buy a 20" barrel, the octagon 20" rifle is really nice.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one of the Rossi rifles in .45 Colt, with the 24 inch barrel.  I could not be happier with it.

Here is a photo of mine.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj171/vedearduff/Shooting/Old%20West/Rossi-1892-1-Web_zps61197c7e.jpg

The Rossi in .45 Colt will handle any load your Blackhawk will and the pair will make a great combo.
View Quote

I didn't think I would ever get another 24" or a crescent buttplate, but I just ordered a stainless version of that rifle. Now I have to get a stainless or nickel revolver. 1875 outlaw maybe?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have three rossi's - a blue 16" .357, a blue 16" .44, and a stainless 20" .454 - and the only issue with any of them is that the 16" guns both wanted to shoot high. The .357 version, I had to completely remove the rear sight elevator (and have since switched to a red dot), and the .44 had to have the elevator all the way to the bottom to be correct. The 20 .454, the elevator had to be at the second-from-bottom level to be right.

Other than that, I'm one of those who praise them. I couldn't be much happier with them, but I'm biased toward the short-action '92 over the longer '94, which is strictly personal preference.

On barrel length, I really prefer the 16-inch. My little 16" .357 puts out more than a thousand ft/lbs of energy and is a more-than-adequate deer gun for our area, yet is smaller than a 10-22. I really like it. But a lot of people prefer the more rifle-like feel of the 20 inch. Another personal-preference thing.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I have owned a Rossi 92 in .357 mag. Great little rifle, ended up selling it while going through a divorce. Still have my Mossberg 464, every bit as nice as a marlin or Winchester 94 IMO. Very smooth action out of the box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top