Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2014 5:29:28 PM EDT
I just don't get along well with the buckhorn sights on my Rossi 92.  16 incher in .45 Colt.  Can't get a clear enough sight picture with my old eyes.  

From what I've learned on this very forum, if I drift out the rear sight, there'll be screw holes for a scope mount underneath.  What would you put on it and why?

-Red dot?

-Scout scope (LER scope of not more than 3X)

My intended use is to punch paper, and use it as my "truck gun."  It might take a deer someday, but I would not take a shot past 100yards with it.  I use "Ruger Only" handloads that are pretty dang hot.  Or I use full-power .45 Colt loads for plinking.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the same question for the same rifle with the same job description.

I've seen a fair number of red dots in the lever action picture thread, but I can't make up my mind if they look great or strange.  How do people that shoot them in that arrangement like that setup?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#2]
There used to be a factory-made scout mount that fit in the Rossi's rear sight dovetail. It's been discontinued several years, but if you could fined one, it would give you a five- or six-inch rail that you could mount whatever you want on it. I put one on my 16" .357 and put a red dot on it, and have been very happy with it.

{edit - looks like rossi has re-introduced it, or some version of it:  http://www.rossiusa.com/accessories-scope.cfm }
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I replaced my buckhorn with a MARBLE rear sight from brownells

I can't remember which one I got, but it tapped with in

might be this one....

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/sporting-rear-sights-prod8812.aspx
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys, this looks like something worth doing, but how do you know the height of your front sight. I guess I am asking you measure from top of sight to where?  Bottom of dovetail?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#6]

For most of us 'older'
shooters, it's no longer possible to see the sights and the target clearly
without help.  Many resort to scopes but
there is an easy way to gain dramatic results without touching the sights on
your firearms.  

Increasing your Depth of
Field (the area where all items appear in sharp focus) is possible by reducing
the aperture you look through.  The
smaller the aperture and the closer you place it in front of your eye, the
longer the DoF will stretch.

That's why you can see more
clearly without sunglasses because they cause your pupils to enlarge because of
the lower light.  Also, that's why many
people can see small items better if they squint at them.

So, how does one accomplish
this amazing feat?  Simply take some
black electrical tape and cut out blanks using a hole punch.  Then punch a tiny hole in the middle and
stick it to your glasses where you sight through them to shoot.

The smaller the aperture, the
longer the DoF will appear so keep the center hole tiny.  Using the glasses below, my DoF is almost
unlimited and I can clearly see the front and rear sights as well as the target
even though it may be over 100 yds away!

Because the aperture is too
close to your eye for it to focus on, the tape spot will appear to be a faint
ghost image that doesn't block your vision at all.  The center aperture will appear very large
because of it's closeness to your eye and you'll just notice that everything
inside it is sharp and clear.  In
addition, because it is so small, it won't interfere or block your normal field
of view.

This add on aperture works
with progressive lenses as well as regular prescription lens.  You don't need any special glasses at
all.  Just make sure that you keep the
center aperture clean and you'll be amazed at the difference.

They work great and best of
all..................they’re free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#7]
CAS shooters often answer the question of sights on a lever gun by exchanging the semi-buckhorn rear for a full buckhorn. That way you can use the wings of the full buckhorn as a ghost ring. I find it works very well for me. I also put a square post serrated ramp front sight on mine. That works better for me than a bead front sight.

Or if you want a real barrel mounted sight, Skinner makes a nice sight that fits in the barrel slot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:...
-Red dot?

-Scout scope (LER scope of not more than 3X)
View Quote

I did a red dot on a scout mount on my 16" .357 probably nine or ten years ago and love the stupid thing. The mount was a Puma or Rossi factory thing that I believe has been discontinued, but it would be worth looking for one on amazon, ebay, gunbroker, etc if you like the scout concept.

Suppressor is obviously optional...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Go with a tang sight! Looks good, reliable, traditional and adds inches.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Go with a tang sight! Looks good, reliable, traditional and adds inches.
View Quote

I agree if you want to spend money on a new sight.  I added one to both my Rossi and Uberti 24" rifles and the sight radius increased to 30".  In addition, when I use the .040" target aperture, I get almost the same DoF increase as when I use my tape aperture on my shooting glasses.  
Besides looking great, a tang sight, coupled with a globe front sight on my 357mag Rossi, allows me to shoot my 158grn handloads out at 300yds with pretty good accuracy!

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For most of us 'older'shooters, it's no longer possible to see the sights and the target clearlywithout help.  Many resort to scopes butthere is an easy way to gain dramatic results without touching the sights onyour firearms.  

Increasing your Depth ofField (the area where all items appear in sharp focus) is possible by reducingthe aperture you look through.  Thesmaller the aperture and the closer you place it in front of your eye, thelonger the DoF will stretch.

That's why you can see moreclearly without sunglasses because they cause your pupils to enlarge because ofthe lower light.  Also, that's why manypeople can see small items better if they squint at them.

So, how does one accomplishthis amazing feat?  Simply take someblack electrical tape and cut out blanks using a hole punch.  Then punch a tiny hole in the middle andstick it to your glasses where you sight through them to shoot.

The smaller the aperture, thelonger the DoF will appear so keep the center hole tiny.  Using the glasses below, my DoF is almostunlimited and I can clearly see the front and rear sights as well as the targeteven though it may be over 100 yds away!

Because the aperture is tooclose to your eye for it to focus on, the tape spot will appear to be a faintghost image that doesn't block your vision at all.  The center aperture will appear very largebecause of it's closeness to your eye and you'll just notice that everythinginside it is sharp and clear.  Inaddition, because it is so small, it won't interfere or block your normal fieldof view.

This add on aperture workswith progressive lenses as well as regular prescription lens.  You don't need any special glasses atall.  Just make sure that you keep thecenter aperture clean and you'll be amazed at the difference.

They work great and best ofall..................they’re free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_7674.jpg

View Quote

Pin hole correction or diopter.  It works.  A clip on aperture for your glasses is available and I have one laying around somewhere.  I have had the rear sight issue since I was a teenager.  I can see pistol sights fine and peeps fine.  The rifles that have the rear sight in front of the receiver on the barrel, like a Ruger 10-22 are the worst for me.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I got the Skinner sight that replaces the buckhorn sight. It works surprisingly well; I thought since it was further forward that the peep sight would not
be easy to see through, but it works fine and is exactly the right height for the front sight post to shoot 100 yards.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow, that Skinner sight looks great. I just purchased a Rossi 92, 16 inch carbine in .357 mag.
How difficult is it to change out the sights?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Simple. Search Google for tons of how to info and videos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top