Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2014 11:46:18 PM EDT
Been wanting to add one for a while.  I have been reading a lot but so much info to process.

I don't think I want a Rossi.  Looked Uberti New and used Winchesters and Marlins(but really like the Winchester and clone 1894 designs)

I wanted ask for opinions from people that actually have and shoot one. So, opinions?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#1]
What caliber do you want?

And, BTW, my .38/.357 magnum Rossi is my favorite gun to shoot.

I wouldn't rule the Rossi out. Get your hands on one and shoot one if you get a chance. They are great little rifles especially for the price point.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't a Rossi be a 92 type and not a 94, and the Marlin 1894 is a different design altogether?

BTW, I have a 16" Rossi in 45LC and it is one sweet little rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Winchester 94  XTR.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know of a clone to a Winchester 1894 model.  Clones that look like the Winchester 1894 are actually of the Winchester 1892 which has a shorter action but looks quite similar to the 1894. If you want to shoot a pistol caliber, i.e. 38spl, 357mag, 38-40, 44spl, 44mag, 44-40, 45 colt, or 454 Casull, you'll want to get a clone of an 1892 version as the shorter action was designed for a 44-40 vs the 30-30 the 1894 version was designed for.  You can also look at clones of earlier Winchesters, 1866 and 1873, or a clone of the Henry 1960, however, those actions are significantly weaker so that magnum calibers and higher +P versions of the other calibers aren't recommended as a regular diet for them. Clones of later Winchesters are chambered in larger rifle calibers.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know of a clone to a Winchester 1894 model.  Clones that look like the Winchester 1894 are actually of the Winchester 1892 which has a shorter action but looks quite similar to the 1894. If you want to shoot a pistol caliber, i.e. 38spl, 357mag, 38-40, 44spl, 44mag, 44-40, 45 colt, or 454 Casull, you'll want to get a clone of an 1892 version as the shorter action was designed for a 44-40 vs the 30-30 the 1894 version was designed for.  You can also look at clones of earlier Winchesters, 1866 and 1873, or a clone of the Henry 1960, however, those actions are significantly weaker so that magnum calibers and higher +P versions of the other calibers aren't recommended as a regular diet for them. Clones of later Winchesters are chambered in larger rifle calibers.  
View Quote

The Mossberg 464 is a reasonably close clone to a 94 action with a few minor changes such as the rear receiver bridge and the lever throw change. I had one and liked it very much but it's only available in 30-30 right now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Even though some will say its heresy, I think the marlin products are superior to the winchesters. They seem tighter and like they are made with better materials. Also side ejection eliminates a lot of issues with scope mounting. I have a 336 3030 and I really dig it. BTW I also have a model 94 that my dad purchased at the Ft Rucker PX in the 60's- in my safe and retired.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Even though some will say its heresy, I think the marlin products are superior to the winchesters. They seem tighter and like they are made with better materials. Also side ejection eliminates a lot of issues with scope mounting. I have a 336 3030 and I really dig it. BTW I also have a model 94 that my dad purchased at the Ft Rucker PX in the 60's- in my safe and retired.
View Quote

Their design might be stronger and tighter but for me, the Marlin leverguns I had a long time ago just didn't feel right for me.  I know its a personal thing but it felt like a brick, the stock is too thick, and it shouldered just wrong on me.  I guess I got use to the slim design of the Winchester and that's what I prefer.  The old Marlins are fine rifles, it's just a personal preference thing for me.  

That's what I liked about the Mossberg when I first picked it up.  It has the same slim styling of the Winchester but with the stronger receiver design that also lets those who prefer the heresy of adding a carry handle (scope) to do so.  It even comes with a folding rear Marbles sight so the 'handle' isn't interfered with.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 marlins and they are smooth as silk. I have a 44 mag and thumper the 45-70. I have a lot of semi-auto rifles, but the lever is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Win 94 Trapper in 45 Colt. Great little carbine

IF I was doing it again though I'd look at some of the better Win. 92 models, as the 94 action was built around the longer rifle rounds.

There is a really nice Browning 92 take down around, plus a similar Win 92 take down - both made in the Miroku factory AFAIK

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I realized recently that I didn't have a 30-30 levergun, or a 94 type levergun.
I decided to do my best to rectify that issue.

In a local pawn shop I located a very nice Ted Williams Model 100.
That is the private label made for Sears by Winchester in the 1960s to early 1980s... It's a Winchester 94 with a different forearm, it has a cap vs a band.
They wanted 350$... I passed.

I went home and researched value to make a fair offer.
I went back with 220$ cash in hand and laid it on the counter.
I came home with a US built Winchester... Albeit labeled Ted Williams.

I don't expect it to get much use, but I figured I needed a Winny 94 to round out my levergun collection.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wouldn't rule the Rossi out. Get your hands on one and shoot one if you get a chance. They are great little rifles especially for the price point.
View Quote

I agree
I am no Rossi fan in general , I think their revolvers and semi pistols are not worth messing with but the 357 1994 I grabbed is a nice little gun.

If you can find a decent north haven Marlin that isn't too crazy price wise grab it up but as far as I see the Rossi guns are reasonable
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I agree
I am no Rossi fan in general , I think their revolvers and semi pistols are not worth messing with but the 357 1994 I grabbed is a nice little gun.

If you can find a decent north haven Marlin that isn't too crazy price wise grab it up but as far as I see the Rossi guns are reasonable
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree

94? Not a Rossi then. Rossi's are 92 pattern rifles.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I have several Marlins in different calibers but the JM stamped Marlins are the better rifles. The 1894 in 44 magnum has been seen for reasonable prices here and there. They are fun guns to plink with and to hunt with. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The Mossberg 464 is a reasonably close clone to a 94 action with a few minor changes such as the rear receiver bridge and the lever throw change. I had one and liked it very much but it's only available in 30-30 right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree it's similar, however, I wouldn't call it a clone.  

I too have a Mossberg 464, walnut stock and pistol grip model, that I'm both surprised and pleased with.  Surprisingly, it's got a much better trigger than the 94's I've owned and came with excellent Marbles sights  too.  It's also more accurate at 200yds than any Winchester '94 I've owned (largely I'm guessing because of the superior sights and trigger) so after over 300rds, I'm quite satisfied with it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top