Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 10:28:15 PM EDT
Have a JM 1894SS.

Can it safely handle 340gr +P+ 44 mag loads?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:21:12 AM EDT
[#1]
One word "45/70"
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have a JM 1894SS.

Can it safely handle 340gr +P+ 44 mag loads?
View Quote

I don't think Buffalo Bore recommends that particular load for a standard Marlin, but mainly due to the barrel's rate of twist.

From the BB website:
Marlin (for an unknown, not well thought out reason) is using a very slow rate of twist (1/38 inches) on their 1894 chambered in 44 mag. Because of this slow rate of twist, the heaviest bullet that the factory Marlin will stabilize is about 270grs. Other firearm makers that chamber for the 44 mag all use a much faster rate of twist so that their guns will stabilize and therefore accurately shoot bullets over 300grs. Many folks today want their 44 magnums to be able to utilize the heavy 300gr. and heavier bullets - Marlin has not figured this out. If you want decent accuracy out of our new +p+ load in a Marlin, it will need to be re-barreled with a twist rate of roughly 1/20 inch.
View Quote

I think they're saying that it will handle the load, but won't be very accurate. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top