Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2014 12:11:11 PM EDT
Just picked up a 30 year old Marlin 1894CS, 357 mag/38 Special.  It's stamped "micro-groove" on the barrel.

I am going to pick up some bullets for handloading and just wondering what weights other people with the same rifle are having good results from.  

All I have around the house at the moment are some 158 gr semi-jacketed soft points I have been loading for a revolver.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, the marlin handgun-caliber leverguns have a very slow twist rate; 1:38 iirc. May be wrong on that and it also may not be true of guns that age, but if it's true I'd base my starting point there - finding out what .35-caliber bullet weights can that twist rate effectively stabilize. I guess that would actually be the second thing, not the first thing.

First thing (if it were me) would be confirming the twist rate; and then checking into bullet weight options based on the twist rate you find.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I just picked up a 1981 model myself, and while I haven't done anything with it yet, several posts on other forums I've read recommend 158 gr. JSPs if you intend to deer hunt with it.  Seems some of the hollow points break up a little too quickly on medium-sized game such as deer.

Other than that, I intend to shoot a crapload of 158 gr cast semi-wadcutters through mine.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to have a 1894c in .357 and it liked 158gr loads. It shot best with factory Blazer Brass 158gr hollow points. It was also good with some lighter 125gr JHP reloads my buddy worked up for me to try. I shot some .38 specials through it but can't remember how it shot with those.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I am good to start out with some of the 158 gr I already have.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I found my 1894 .38/.357 really likes a 158gr LRNFP cast bullet in front of 2400 powder.

I had to slug my bore as it was not stabilizing the 38spl 158gr LSWC cast bullets I had a ton of... It wasn't even putting striations on the bullet as it left the bore.  I went to a bullet 0.002" larger after finding the bore to be a hair oversize and it is a laser.   The LRNFP ensure smooth feeding in both 38 and 357 loads.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just picked up a 1981 model myself, and while I haven't done anything with it yet, several posts on other forums I've read recommend 158 gr. JSPs if you intend to deer hunt with it.  Seems some of the hollow points break up a little too quickly on medium-sized game such as deer.

Other than that, I intend to shoot a crapload of 158 gr cast semi-wadcutters through mine.  

Good luck!
View Quote

Good luck with the LSWC, the sharp step at the base of the nose is enough to hang up many lever guns.  I can get mine to feed if I work the action HARD and fast.

Edit to add:  see post above. LRNFP cast loads feed much easier in my experience.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just picked up a 30 year old Marlin 1894CS, 357 mag/38 Special.  It's stamped "micro-groove" on the barrel.

I am going to pick up some bullets for handloading and just wondering what weights other people with the same rifle are having good results from.  

All I have around the house at the moment are some 158 gr semi-jacketed soft points I have been loading for a revolver.
View Quote

My pre-safety 1894c shoots American Eagle 158 JSP's so well that I have it zeroed for that load and never use anything else. In the past I've also had good luck, accuracy wise, with 180 JHPs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes good info here, I have had 3 Marlin 1894C rifles seems like all of them like the 158 gr. bullets. All mind shoot very well with the heavier bullets. Enjoy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top